Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl - Reds for developing intermediates?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Obergurglers,

Am taking the family to Obergurgl, looking to progress off Blue's into Red's.

Any advice on which are the easier red routes to gain confidence?

Also Red12 appears the only way to access the TopExpress Gurgl to get from Festkogl to Wurmkogl side. How challenging is Red12 and is there any other route to get there (aside from bus).

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl's skiing is pretty easy. None of the reds are particularly challenging.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is no alternative to red 12 - the bus is very easy though especially first thing - you can get the TopExpresss lift back from Hochgurgl and avoid reds (and you can look at the red 12 from below to judge for yourself!). Given the great blues at Hochgurgl, I would definitely go for the bus option first time around (if you are unsure of the whole family enjoying the red - basically there is a steep pitch (but wide) at the very end of R12. For practising reds, I would look to the very right of the piste map (Steinmannbahn, not Hohe But) there are blue alternates from that lift
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @telford_mike, @Wildsmith,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A nice progression in Hochgurgl is from top of Wormkurglbahn1 chair > Blue 26 then left onto Blue 24 > Blue 32 then onto Red 33 down to the Umbrella bar.

Red 12 is very wide so you can take your time getting down it and it's usually very well pisted every day. if you are confident on the steeper blue (6) run into town you will probably manage OK.

Red 5 from Steinmanbahn is easiest on Obergurgl side and Red 7 from the top of the Plattachbahn chair isn't too difficult either.

Go to Steinmanbahn early though as it gets very lumpy by lunchtime on the corners.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ol_smokey, great - thanks!

Anybody know what the ski-routes are like? Looking at 9 Dorfmitte, 2 Hohe Mut. Never really sure what these ski-routes are or who they're suitable for.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Hohe Mut one is quite tricky narrow and steep in places and always unpisted. I struggled on it and I'm confident on all of the reds in resort.

9 isn't so bad just a couple of narrow sections so if you're happy with short turns and it's not icy you will be fine.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Niederau aged 4 wrote:

Anybody know what the ski-routes are like? Looking at 9 Dorfmitte, 2 Hohe Mut. Never really sure what these ski-routes are or who they're suitable for.

It's a poor translation. Normally these are referred to in English using the French term "Itineraires". In principle these are for expert skiers, not at all suitable for people asking about transitioning from blues to reds. Normally not pisted, usually steep, often tricky, they may or may not be patrolled and/or marked with poles, dependant on the resort.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ol_smokey, @Chaletbeauroc, thank you very much!

Yes - the ski route question wasn't for those in the group transitioning from Blues. I was considering for my daughter who's fairly advanced now and wants to push on a bit. These sound interesting so i'll be sure to take a look and ski them myself first.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy