Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is Italy much cheaper than France, Austria or Switzerland?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

they never seem to charge more than about 3 euros

3 euros Shocked Che scandalo!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Peter S, I did notice that it was only €1.50 even at Malpensa airport!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

€1.50 for a good espresso with this view in 2020. Does anywhere charge more (in Italy)?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnE wrote:
The dolomites this summer were expensive and packed.

I was there late August, didn't seem busy,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Apart from Switzerland where the main problem is the exchange rate, everywhere else is swings & roundabouts, Dolomites has good mountain food & scenery but France has a far better variety of skiing. Austria has the best variety of apres ski.
There are quite large variations within each country too.
What % of importance do you place against the following?
The skiing, challenging or cruisy?
The apres, loud or quiet?
The scenery
The people you ski with, all your ski people may want to go somewhere that isn't your favourite, go alone or with the flow?
The accommodation, cheap or luxury?
Food
Plus a few more

The people I ski with and the variety of skiing are, by far the most important for me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tangowaggon, very fair points. My priorities vary as I get older, inevitably.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are a lot of generalisations here. And suggestions that there is a greater variety of skiing in France than elsewhere is one of them. Italy, for example, has a huge variety of skiing (not all of it in the alps) including some of the toughest accessible off-piste. It would probably be fair to say it has fewer mega-piste networks, and one of them (dolomiti) has a lot of cruising runs. But there are plenty of challenges to be found even there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tangowaggon, Naaaah, Italy is pants. Everyone should go ski in France. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimastaaah wrote:
@tangowaggon, Naaaah, Italy is pants. Everyone should go ski in France. Toofy Grin

I agree. It's rubbish really. France is better and everyone should go there and only there. No idea what got into me, but I apologise.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I hate france, for several reasons, we did the french ski resorts years ago, and did several, but now we try to avoid the soul crushing ques, In italy you can manage to avoid that to a point, the only place in Italy I won't return to is the Aosta valley, tried three times to get to like it, but now am certain if there is anywhere else on offer, I'll go there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@biddpyat, what did you not like round Aosta?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@biddpyat, Yeeaahh! Aosta Valley is pants. Everyone should go ski in France. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I found the prices in the Three Valleys had gone up a lot this year, don’t get me wrong, they were never cheap, but things seemed significantly more expensive, particularly lunches and dinners. Self catered accommodation seems to have remained reasonable though
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Returning to the original question: no idea, but also curious. A couple guesses: lower wages? Lower taxes?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scooter in Seattle, or - it's not cheaper.
ski holidays
The only reliable metric is the cost of ski passes, which is is perhaps the only 'essential' cost for skiing.

Personally I find Switzerland comes out quite well on this. I ski with my kids, and although the adult passes are expensive, you often find junior concessions in Switzerland to be very generous.
snow report
HilbertSpace wrote:
The only reliable metric is the cost of ski passes, which is is perhaps the only 'essential' cost for skiing.

I have to travel to an area, find accommodation and eat.
Have used skins for getting uphill though.
snow conditions
Ski rental cost is an interesting aspect. Why, according to the table, would it cost far more in Val D’Isere than Meribel?
snow conditions
Snow&skifan wrote:
Ski rental cost is an interesting aspect. Why, according to the table, would it cost far more in Val D’Isere than Meribel?

Higher rent and staff costs?
snow report
pam w wrote:
@johnE, I've not seen that report but as @BobinCH says to suggest that Les Menuires is in any sensible respect cheaper than Meribel is a bit daft. As for your deal, @Skifamily22, it sounds ideal! But it's because it's a cheap deal, not because it's Italy.

@BobinCH is saying Les Menuires is cheaper than Meribel.
snow report
On the birthday bash this year we ordered 4 coffees with baileys in a mountain restaurant and it came to 7 euros (in total - not each!). Unbelievable value!
snow report
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Returning to the original question: no idea, but also curious. A couple guesses: lower wages? Lower taxes?

I suspect it is what the market will bear.

And we are not comparing like with like. The French resorts we think of are the premium ones, like Courcheval or Meribel or Val d'Isere, which get a clientele who are not particularly price sensitive. I have loved skiing the Dolomites but I don't think any of the resorts round the circuit have a similar cachet; maybe Cortina does. Neither do the Aosta resorts.

As a generalisation it doesn't work, not all French resorts are Courcheval. It is very obvious in St Gervais which shares a ski area with Megeve. Megeve (for those who don't know) is a blue blood French resort originally set up by one of the Rothschilds, based on a beautiful traditional village which now has shops for the big Champs d'Elysee designer clothes companies. Plus its own Altiport for plane taxi transfers from Geneva. And the mountain restaurants are correspondingly expensive. Cross the ridge to the St Gervais side and you find traditional restaurants serving delicious food at similar quality and prices to the Dolomites.

And I agree with @HilbertSpace, we have had very enjoyable skiing holidays in Switzerland for prices competitive with France - admittedly doing the comparison at half term - and with a little care when perusing menus have not felt food costs exorbitant. We haven't visted St Moritz or Zermatt though.
ski holidays
wineandfondue wrote:
On the birthday bash this year we ordered 4 coffees with baileys in a mountain restaurant and it came to 7 euros (in total - not each!). Unbelievable value!

A remarkable bargain that we didn't find...where?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
wineandfondue wrote:

A remarkable bargain that we didn't find...where?

Took a bit of detective work and quizzing some other snowheads but I believe it was Rifugio Laresei in San Pellegrino!

EDIT: Ok turns out it was actually Chalet le Buse.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy