Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train from Munich into Austria - Westendorf

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

At half term we’ve managed to get reasonable flights into Munich on the Friday night (10th Feb). We’re hoping to get an early train to Westendorf on the Saturday morning. I’m trying to minimise changes and faffing with the children, keeping it to one change in Worgl. Which train station is it better to get a hotel by on the Friday night? Would Munich Ost be the one to go for?

Thanks

Will

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 19-12-22 22:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alternative - check out flixbus option to where it terminates in Austria?
No need to get a train into munich then. Flix depart from the airport.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Be aware you need to find a taxi from Westendorf station, so grab a few telephone numbers or book in advance, as the station is a mile or two out of Westendorf. Last time I went there there were no taxi company cards up in the station and it was before I had a "smart"phone with interwebby.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Will77, Not so easy to get away with one change . The only direct trains from Munich to Wörgl are the EC ones which run on to Italy (Verona but sometimes Venice, Milan or Bologna). They only depart every two hours. They are usually busy especially so at holiday weekends, you will need to book seats or go first class. The trains start at Hauptbahnhof but also stop at München Ost (if you have a choice go with Hauptbahnhof as more time to get yourself sorted). The station in Westendorf is not ideally placed, you would need to get a taxi to wherever you are staying. Personally with all the faff and the cost of a hotel in Munich I would be inclined to look for car hire, as much as I like travelling by train I gave up trying to use it to get to the Skiwelt places it just doesnt work (fine for Kitzbühel, perfect for St Anton). The alternative is slow with a lot of faff a regional train to Kufstein , then another to Wörgl. A better option might be train to Kufstein then taxi from there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the detailed response munich_irish, I need to look into it a bit more. I’ve seen an early train on the Saturday that only involves one stop and I was going to book first class to make it easier re seats, luggage and comfort. Interesting point about Hauptbahnhof, I’ll have a look how far it is from the airport. I’ve used private transfers before when there’s been more of us but I’m trying to avoid it this time, same with car hire really but I’ll have a look at costs as Munich is generally reasonable.

I appreciate your help,

Will
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stephan's Taxis http://www.westendorf.net/westendorftaxi/english/index.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kufstein is a lovely place to stay on a Friday night! We’ve travelled there from Munich on a Friday & then bus to Soll on Saturday morning. Think you can get a train or bus from Kufstein to Westendorf.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Will77, I think you will find the train is just after 07:30 (they run every two hours, I usually get the one just after13:30). Plenty of hotels near Hauptbahnhof and easy to get to from airport. Best way to book tickets & seats is using the OEBB app (often a Euro or two cheaper than DB for some reason). Hauptbahnhof certainly easier getting on train as plenty of time when herding kids etc
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarletgirl, would agree with this. Kufstein easy to get to as hourly trains from München Ost (no need to book as regional trains) and then easy onward travel in the morning
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Aidanb, I’ve used Stephan’s taxis before and they have been brilliant.

@munich_irish, @Scarletgirl, thanks so much this is great information and I’ll do a little more looking to see if a train to Kufstein is doable with 2 tired children on the Friday evening and if not I’ll look at accommodation near Hauptbahnhof. I take it it’s an easy train from the airport to Hauptbahnhof and presume I’ll not need to pre book for a Friday eve? Thank you for all your help Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Will77, From the airport to either Hauptbahnhof or Ostbahnhof is a 35 minute Sbahn ride they go every 20 minutes you cant book!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy