Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Apple AirTags

Poster: A snowHead
I am considering using Apple AirTags attached to my skis so that I can find them if lost in deep snow.
Not sure whether to attach them permanently, with glue perhaps, or just with duct tape, probably between the bindings under the boot.
Two questions spring to mind:
1. Will it work?
2. Am I allowed to have air tags in either checked luggage or hand luggage?
Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have ordered some for the same reason.
I had seen this https://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/01/18/ski-snowboard-anti-theft-airtag-mounts/
But think it is only a concept design. I have also seen a snowboard binding plate with a place for them.
I have seen them for bikes where a holder doubles up as part of waterbottle holder.

I would certainly say there is a market for such a deivce.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2. No problems in luggage. I have them in my keys that live in my work rucsac that I fly with all the time. And no worries in hold bags - lots of people leave one in their suitcase to track it if it gets lost.

You obviously need to be able to get at the airtag to change the battery - those mounts look a good idea.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The product you are looking for already exists and has been around for a while. It’s called Resqski.

https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/com-virtuemart/com-virtuemart-menu-categories/the-piste-office-store/resqski-ski-finder
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2x Apple Air Tags cost £70 and give you a solution that's unproven (in this application) and you have more to pay for a suitable mounting system - and you're dependent on phone battery/have the faff of switching it on and waiting for it to boot up (phone off recommend by every off piste guide I've skied with).

Or you can buy a Resqski kit from The Piste Office for £89 that's purpose made for the task and proven on the hill - https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/com-virtuemart/com-virtuemart-menu-categories/the-piste-office-store/resqski-ski-finder
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mjit,

Launched at the end of the 12/13 season.

So 10 seasons ago! Tech moves on!

I never switch my phone off! We all use whatsapp & location sharing around the mountain.

Also, Apple Airtag will connect to any apple device to get it’s location. So if they are taken by mistake & someone stashes the other side of town, you don't need to travel around looking for a signal. As long as the tag has been in contact with an iphone it will ping its last location. You are not tracking the tag per say, as the tag only tells apple servers where it is/was last able to send the servers its location. Radio waves on a mountain will surely have the same limitations as trying to use walkie-talkies?

PS 4x apple airtags are currently £99 Smile Seems quite proven as a tool of choice for stalkers!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I guess it depends on how a Bluetooth signal is attenuated by deep snow. I’ve tried googling but can’t find any data.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gored, I don’t think someone who nicks your skis would leave the apple tag attached so you can track them down.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chocksaway wrote:
I guess it depends on how a Bluetooth signal is attenuated by deep snow. I’ve tried googling but can’t find any data.

I think this article covers the signal attenuation through snow : not a good medium for 2.4GHz signal transmission
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/537150/how-far-can-a-wifi-signal-reach-in-snow
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
zikomo wrote:
@Gored, I don’t think someone who nicks your skis would leave the apple tag attached so you can track them down.

No different to the radio system?
I think the biggest problem with any solution is that the tracking device stays put.
I have seen 3d printable holder for union bindings which is then hidden by the footbed. I have seen waterbottle holders for bikes which you need to remove by the screws to remove the tag.
Would need to glue or screw some kind of tag holder to the board & risk damage.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
not convinced as a ski finder, but its cheap enough to have as a locator should your prize planks go 'walkabout', and who knows the attenuation may not be a problem, try it and see.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Backcountry/comments/p264cz/apple_airtags_and_the_future_of_avalanche/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you for the useful and very prompt replies. I am tempted by the Resqski but will probably try the AirTags as well as I already have some.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AirTags good for stolen skis, but probaly useless for lost ski in powder. 2.4GHz would get very strongly attenuated. Not sure if BT operates in 5GHz band these days, but that would be even worse imo
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am dubious about how well Air Tags will work in snow, but that it easy enough to check before you want to rely on them, by burying the skis in the snow yourself (or if you want an extra challenge, get a friend to do it Very Happy ). Just make sure you have a second, low tech method of finding them again, just incase Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Trying to order the Resqski kit but the Captcha (I’m not a robot) icon just keeps spinning!
snow conditions
@Sonic the Skier, give them a call. Run by a forum regular.
latest report
Losing skis in powder isn’t that common an occurrence is it? I don’t think it’s happened to me once and I don’t think I’ve known anyone else lose one either Puzzled
I’ve seen people looking for them though but I can count them on one hand over years.
latest report
Sonic the Skier wrote:
Trying to order the Resqski kit but the Captcha (I’m not a robot) icon just keeps spinning!

have you tried thepisteoffice.com
latest report
Bob wrote:
Sonic the Skier wrote:

have you tried thepisteoffice.com

Yes, that is where I am trying to order from.
snow report
If anyone buys new Resqski's then you either have to use the supplied screws in addition to the supplied sticky pads, or replace the sticky pads with high quality 3M pads, such as "3M VHB RP45 Double Sided Acrylic Adhesive Foam Bonding Sheet".

Apparently they used to come with high quality 3M pads, but some complained that they stuck so well that it made it difficult to remove them and stick them to new skis. I didn't know they had changed the pads, and I lost a base and tag because of this Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Losing skis in powder isn’t that common an occurrence is it? I don’t think it’s happened to me once and I don’t think I’ve known anyone else lose one either Puzzled
I’ve seen people looking for them though but I can count them on one hand over years.

I've never lost a ski in powder - but I have spent a lot of time looking for one once (pre-Reqski) and next to no time looking for one another time (post-Resqski).

If you're just skiing on piste/side of piste having to spend ages finding a ski is just annoying and worst case you have to take the walk of shame down to the lift. When you're off piste, especially with fresh snow pushing up the avalanch risk you really don't want to lose a ski completely and even a temporary loss you want to rectify ASAP, especially if it happens somewhere you're more avalanch exposed.

Of course if you're a better skier you're less likely to lose a ski than me anyway and a cheap pair of tails do the same job for a fraction of the price, but where's the fun in that.
latest report
@Mjit, I have spent more than an hour looking for a ski in powder! Amazing how far and in what direction they can go. Simple solution is to use powder traces. Bit (small bit) of a faff, but definitely works.
snow conditions
I have seen a few skis shoot down a slope, then fly off into the woods somewhere. Cant be easy to find once you have lost sight of it!
More than likely a rental ski, so that person is probably left paying a lot more than the ski's would be worth.

My big worry is about someone stealing my equipment. So an AirTag is probably better in my situation.
snow conditions
I have ordered the Resqski package but will probably use AirTags as well.
Over the years I have tried various solutions, in the 90’s I had a ‘ski mouse’ mounted on each ski that could be located using the Ortovox F1 Plus transceiver but stopped using them when it became more difficult to mount them on the top surface of skis due to the contours and dampers, etc that were added at that time. I find powder streamers OK but they are a terrible faff.
I’ll see how the Resqski works out.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy