Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Mantra delaminating

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Purchased in April of 2020 in a post-season closeout sale from Backcountry. I mounted these mid-2021-2022 season and used them 6 TIMES. MAJOR delamination of the top sheet occurred. It's out of warranty because I let them sit in my closet too long. I will never buy Volkl again. I've never seen a ski do this, and with so few days on them. Serious manufacturing defect. I've played on other brands for decades and never had such a catastrophic problem. Sorry that I can't post a photo. The delamination goes from just behind the binding on one side all the way to the tail.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rubbletoy, Appears to be a severe introduction to a forum you've not participated within previously.

They make alot of good quality ski equipment which I'd associate with diligent quality standards. I've no connection with them whatsoever, but feel it seems without specific details and maybe you having at least a enquiring conversation with them or their representatives, this should be seen as outlyer in regards to that company reputation.

Good high performance layup ordinarily involves minimising resins in ratio to best holding fibres etc in correct plane for load, performance etc. Sometimes that's a fine line we the customer are demanding, they should at least be asked to consider why this failure has occurred before you offer this strong view to people you have no reputation, affiliation or loyalty to.

Has there been any interaction with that company and you in allowing them fair consideration as to what may have contributed to this?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe, first write to Volkl and tell your story (with Photographs). It's worth a shot.

Also, there is protection under the Sale of Goods Act, where goods should be fault free (from a manufacturing defect), for their intended use, for a reasonable period, especially if expensive. One normally goes after the shop that sold it.....but there may be an avenue to do so, if you are so inclined.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That’s a shame my Old Mantras are the best skis I’ve ever had. I ski them Telemark and have hammered them to death. Still love them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just deal with the retailer, using your legal rights as a consumer https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product-aTTEK2g0YuEy .

As a relatively expensive item, April 2020 is no time at all.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski3, my thoughts exactly! Looks like revenge spam to me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow&skifan wrote:
Just deal with the retailer, using your legal rights as a consumer https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product-aTTEK2g0YuEy .

As a relatively expensive item, April 2020 is no time at all.

Backcountry are of course a US retailer so consumer rights are very different.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess he got them from Backcountry UK: https://www.backcountryuk.com/
But I could be wrong
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowrider, his use of the phrase "closeout sale" and "closet" suggests he is in North America.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes. I'm well aware of Volkl's reputation...part of the reason I purchased. I have several friends that swear by them, and reviews are universally excellent.
I wish I had purchased from my local shop... Service is good, but they 'could not help me' since I purchased online and they were out of warranty.
My shop informed me that this is uncommon, but DOES occasionally happen dur to a weakness where the titanal exoskeleton layer come in just aft of the rear binding. I'm furious because I had them in a closet wrapped in original plastic for a year (not a great season in the Sierras). Then after mounting, only used a few days because I didn't want to scratch my new gems. And for me, the sale price of $550 is still a huge chunk of change.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rubbletoy wrote:
Yes. I'm well aware of Volkl's reputation...part of the reason I purchased. I have several friends that swear by them, and reviews are universally excellent.
I wish I had purchased from my local shop... Service is good, but they 'could not help me' since I purchased online and they were out of warranty.
My shop informed me that this is uncommon, but DOES occasionally happen due to a weakness where the titanal exoskeleton layer come in just aft of the rear binding. I'm furious because I had them in a closet wrapped in original plastic for a year (not a great season in the Sierras). Then after mounting, only used a few days because I didn't want to scratch my new gems. And for me, the sale price of $550 is still a huge chunk of change.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry. Yes, I'm in the US. Just hoping maybe some Volkls rep will see this and attempt to make it right.
Seriously. If I had a few seasons on them I would have lost count. But 6 days is ridiculous.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rubbletoy, As others have said at least attempt to contact Volkl before assuming they won't stand behind the product.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pictures?

of your skis, ideally ...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rubbletoy wrote:
Yes. I'm well aware of Volkl's reputation...part of the reason I purchased.

Intrinsic to that reputation is how defects, warranty and care for their product is dispensed. If this is avoided by not communicating with them directly, then how can their company be judged.

If you want any chance of a successful outcome from this (and to test the reasons why others think they are good) then you'll need to seek the importer/representatives of the company directly and give that chance to them.

They WILL know if they've occurrence of this with their product and it's likelihood of sample rate, for which they'll also know if it's exception or routine. At that point their action will support replacement, allowance against new product as reasonable response or statement of what they feel has compromised them ordinarily and why they can't offer any help. Without you attempting this process its all a guess really.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy