Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gudauri, Georgia - DIY Trip Details ~£700 UK

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Put together a DIY Trip for my GF and I to Gudauri, Georgia.

Thought i'd share the details as price is good IMO and an interesting choice of country for skiing!

Our Dates:

24/01/2022 -> 31/01/2022

Flights

> Booked Directly with Lufthansa
- £287 Each (includes 8kg carry on and "personal item" aka backpack) + Food included on plane
- Manchester to Munich, 1hr 20 Layover in Munich (Nice airport for a layover too) and then on to Tbilisi, Arrives at 4:45am but should be fine to get transfer to Gudauri.
- Return flight to Manchester stops again at munich but for a bit longer...

Accommodation

> Using Booking.com as well as Gudauri Info Site
- Reserved a place close to lifts for £403 (not including breakfast or dinner) with booking.com
- However, found a good deal on "Hotel Veranda" on Gudauri Site with possibly HB (still waiting for confirmation) (£390 compared to £1000+ on booking.com)
- Also looking at another on Booking.com for £500 which is half board...

Prices above are for total (not per person!)

Ski Pass

Looks to be about £105 only for 6 days for an adult (discounts for students, children, etc)
Price Table

Ski Hire

Difficult to get much info on this but looks like lots of hotels rent their own (reading some is free ? but i'd imagine about £70 - 100

Transfers

Can always book with hotel but likely they will just add a cut on top so found a good guide here:

Transfer Info

Not sure we will risk the marshrutka minivans so looks like GoTrip could be the best option and avoids hassle of hiring a car although prices weren't bad on the site listed in the write up.

Any tips from those who have been would be much appreciated!
Do let me know if you are there over 24th to 31st January! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
why did you choose Georgia?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

why did you choose Georgia?

Cheaper than France etc. Due to lift pass + low food costs (georgian food nice also). Skiing looks good from other posts on here and online. Also have a friend of friend is doing a ski instructor season over there and recommended!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK. I'll be going Georgia in the next few years but cat skiing,
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mother hucker, Sounds Good! Looks like it is popular for heli skiing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My wife has skied in Georgia about three years ago and loved it. I’ll ask her for info.

Worth booking an instructor, they’re very cheap.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@horizon, thank you! And my friends friend is there doing instructing so may get a free one or two with him wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hbridges, The Dubai Snowsports Facebook group (which includes a few snowheads) go there because it is a short-ish flight and it is a nice place.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Regarding the 1 hour 20 min stopover in Munich. Definitely too close for comfort IMO.
My today's flight from GVA to Munich was delayed by 1 hour (they initially announced only 30 min, right after I sent the suitcase and ski carriage but it took one hour till takeoff).
I continue to Tel Aviv and still have enough time for chicken curry with rice (40 min waiting time after queuing for 10 min).
But other folks are queuing at Lufthansa services to reschedule their next flight.
So I suggest you'll take sandwiches (you'll probably be served a small tortilla sandwich onflight) and try to have a greater interval between flights.
Unfortunately, not my first rodeo.
BTW you'll enjoy Gudauri. Have fun!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I guess your dates are for 2023 not 22 right?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
I guess your dates are for 2023 not 22 right?

Yes my mistake Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@drporat, Ah yes i was a little worried with timings but unfortunately no other option I don't think. Hopefully will be okay - maybe a little less busy on our dates compared to before Xmas / during holidays.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If at all possible get yourself over to Mestia to ski Hatzvali and Tetnuldi. Gudauri is a bit meh but the Svaneti valley wow wow wow.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3008246

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3008260

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_Sky_(airline)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We skied with a Heli from Mestia a few years back. It was great! Would surely also be top touring
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You can definitely do cheaper on the accommodation through booking

Try Alpina Hotel. It was £20 pppn B&B

Free shuttle to lifts, ski back to the hotel

Enjoy
ski holidays
Great stuff @hbridges. Ski Georgia had a stand at the NEC Snow Show in November. They had videos of the skiing playing and it all looked amazing. Only problem was they had one copy(!) of an inviting-looking brochure detailing all the ski areas - ie the copy being used by the woman on the stand Confused

We're definitely interested in ski touring or off piste there.
ski holidays
Quote:
Try Alpina Hotel. It was £20 pppn B&B

Ended up booking Hotel Tsiga - Half Board £300pp (realised i booked 7 nights when only need 6 as will head to airport on the night late as its at 5am) looks really nice!
snow conditions
I'm off to Mestia for 6 days touring at the start of February, been wanting to go with a few years but covid ruined it....very excited!
ski holidays
conor90 wrote:
I'm off to Mestia for 6 days touring at the start of February, been wanting to go with a few years but covid ruined it....very excited!

Can I ask who you’re going with? A friend asked me about local touring operations/guides and I only know the German heli group we went with
ski holidays
Ilia Berulava, I found him on Explore-share, which seems to have a lot of Georgian guides. He also has a company Georgia Guide Office, so he might not necessarily be the one guiding us. I can post in here after my trip with how I get on.
snow conditions
I'm also heading to Gudauri on 4th of February for a week of skiing, but a bit worried about the lack of snow (they still haven't opened the slopes). Anyone have any info/forecast for more than 7 days? Very Happy
latest report
Still waiting for my office to send me to Tblisi. And my counterpart over there knows it!

By the way, do you need a visa, and is it easy to get? The questions on the form to get into Moscow were totally unreasonable ("give us an entire history of your life of world travel with accurate entry and exit times for each country").
ski holidays
arnika wrote:
I'm also heading to Gudauri on 4th of February for a week of skiing, but a bit worried about the lack of snow (they still haven't opened the slopes). Anyone have any info/forecast for more than 7 days? Very Happy

Sorry to say looks dire for the foreseeable Sad

We've just binned a trip to that neck of the woods due to snow or lack thereof Sad Sad Sad

snow conditions
Quote:
By the way, do you need a visa, and is it easy to get?

No visa required from what i can tell. Separate from Russia so should be completely different i'd imagine. Currently weak snow there but had some coverage last 2 days. Hoping it will continue until my trip on 24th.
latest report
hd wrote:
arnika wrote:

Sorry to say looks dire for the foreseeable Sad

We've just binned a trip to that neck of the woods due to snow or lack thereof Sad Sad Sad

Oof. I still hope it changes as it's still a few weeks to go, but I feel bad for the people who work there, that must suck!
ski holidays
Looking like an absolute nightmare in Georgia! I still have almost three weeks but the forecast doesn't look pretty. It has been blue skies and sunny for most of January bar a couple of days of snow.
ski holidays
Any news regarding snow forecast? I'm worried whether we should just cancel the trip (we ski on-piste, but only two are open). We're supposed to fly in on the 5th of February. I can't imagine what the community is going through but heard that's not the only problem-- https://ab.co/3iMoL5k
snow report
No snow in the near term forecast, only stuff 10+days out which can't be relied upon. I can't cancel unfortunately as nothing is refundable. I've asked the guide if we can push out the dates as flights can be changed but he said not yet - I'll be asking him again soon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow this season is such a strange snow year across so much of Europe. Hope your trips work out.

We were in the planning stages for touring in Georgia but booked Gulmarg instead for this winter, but its high on the list for next year.
latest report
I think from now on I'm going to book last minute trips only and follow the snow. As long as you're not booking during school holidays, it should be fine to do - and in my opinion it's worth an extra hundred or two in flight costs.
ski holidays
It appears that there are some problems on the slopes of Georgia, especially for British and Australian Instructors. See https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-18/gudauri-ski-field-georgia-europe-australia-instructors/101866660.
Does anybody have any first hand knowledge?
ski holidays
tarrantd wrote:
It appears that there are some problems on the slopes of Georgia, especially for British and Australian Instructors. See https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-18/gudauri-ski-field-georgia-europe-australia-instructors/101866660.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-18/gudauri-ski-field-georgia-europe-australia-instructors/101866660

Interesting situation but as with everything there's two sides to every story
ski holidays
@kat.ryb, make sure you do a trip report on that one...have always wondered about there, the snow looks good, but there seems to be a bit of a lack of groomed pistes and lifts!
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, can you enlighten us?
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
@Mike Pow, can you enlighten us?

I have no knowledge of this

Just that the article only comes from the foreign instructors' perspective

I would have tried to get some info from the Georgians
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
tarrantd wrote:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-18/gudauri-ski-field-georgia-europe-australia-instructors/101866660

Interesting situation but as with everything there's two sides to every story

Would be interesting to see what comes of this. Its on my list as a potential for some teaching hours next season
snow report
I'm off to Bakhmaro for a week's catskiing in a few days, and thankfully the Lesser Caucasuses haven't faired so badly - looks like a wave of snow coming in as we arrive snowHead
snow conditions
ArseCaptain wrote:
I'm off to Bakhmaro for a week's catskiing in a few days, and thankfully the Lesser Caucasuses haven't faired so badly - looks like a wave of snow coming in as we arrive snowHead

Who with?

Have a great time
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
ArseCaptain wrote:

Who with?

Have a great time

Booked with "Catski & Heliski Georgia" (catski.eu) - powderproject had no availability for the week we wanted to go, by the time we were ready to book. I'll make sure to post a report!
snow report
ArseCaptain wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
ArseCaptain wrote:

Who with?

Have a great time

Booked with "Catski & Heliski Georgia" (catski.eu) - powderproject had no availability for the week we wanted to go, by the time we were ready to book. I'll make sure to post a report!

Looks magic
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy