Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

“Milky Way “ ski trip advice /recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hello
I’m planning a visit Milky Way region beginning of February (wifes birthday present) .
Will travel from London
Can people recommend best transfer to use to get to the region ?
Best resort to stay in the region for good “apres ski”?
Which area is more snow sure at that time of the year?
Best place /website to look for accommodation in that region ?
Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, we’ve been to Sauze d’Oulx 4 times and are going again in early March.

1) We’ve always been in a reasonably sized group so we get a private minibus transfer, we’ve just used www.Sauzeonline.com for the booking.
2) Sauze is definitely the most lively of the resorts by a distance.
3) Lots of the locals seem to consistently report that Montgenevre and Claviere get the best snow of the area. But being as you’re going at the beginning of February one would hope conditions and temperatures should be ok throughout.
4) We just used booking.com to find a large apartment.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sauze is your best bet for some better apres, but none of the resorts are particularly "lively". Still done decent bars and live music about though.

Montgenevre and Sestriere will be the best bets for better snow. However the start of Feb should see decent snow levels across the whole of the area.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks ok now - may be one should make a quick trip? wink

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHOuGKVMOan7LwRKlQVEgWg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hyst wrote:
Looks ok now - may be one should make a quick trip? wink

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHOuGKVMOan7LwRKlQVEgWg

That video made me smile!
Anyone knows if car rental in Turin airport will allow me to drive to mountains ? Tyres are up to specs?

Also if staying in near by Oux will have easy access to Saux if I use own transport ? Parking /getting around the region is ok?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Anyone knows if car rental in Turin airport will allow me to drive to mountains ? Tyres are up to specs?

Of course it will! Though probably chains rather than winter tyres.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've done a couple of (old) boys weekends to Sestriere. As 6 of us we just get a minibus transfer, if just two of you you could try pre book taxi . I have car hired from Turin to Aosta on another trip - it came with snow tyres as standard.

Sestriere is quiet on a night, but has good restaurants. Hotel du Col has downstairs bar which reasonably lively and pre pandemic had a karaoke night etc going on.

accom - we used booking.com. we were going for cheap and cheerful, which the Uappala & Olympic village hotels do well.

snow will be similar everywhere and you're in peak season, MontG can get a tad more snow depth due to prevailing weather systems. Snow cannon coverage is good everywhere. However Best runs are in Sestriere / sansicario / sauze and you want to be eating on the Italian side as its cheaper and better.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I took the easy way bought a last minutes package tour.
Newer tried that before.
Sauze d'oulx - low class hotel - Chistmas on skies.
Fly in Torino and get transported rest of the way bybus snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is Sauze d'Oulx good for relaxed, cruisy skiing with nice scenery and excellent lunch stops?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great info guys! Will start planning soon. Flights and car rental is reasonably cheap at the moment. Unless there are operators who can offer best deals i can’t refuse I will book everything myself.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, Yes, definitely.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went with www.snow.cab from Turin airport to Sestriere once, they were absolutely fantastic. Mind you, I was with a bigger group, so it was an economical option. I also looked into trains at the time - there are dirt cheap, frequent trenitalia (https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html) services between central Turin and Oulx, but the need for additional connections between airport and train station, and train station and accommodation could make it a bit complicated. Could be the cheapest transfer option, though.

I thought Sestriere had a nice level of Aprés, something going on, but not rowdy. Thought it definitely became livelier on the weekend. I liked it for the altitude - skiing into the village basically guaranteed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Stella Alpina in Sauze is pretty good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, No, I would not say it is good for relaxed, cruisy skiing - getting old, I think there is a lack of blue cruisy skiing. (just the view of an old man).
Have just returned from there yesterday

Hotel Sauze is a nice hotel used by British tour operators. Bar is nice and I used it some times - Maximillianus ("Max") is a nice bartender - if you have patiens with his english - I had a good time with him and some of the Brits who stayed there.

Getting old I will not return to Sauze, rather look for a place with more blue like Alta Badia or alike.

Like everywhere else, many lunch places are great - others not.

I found and used the once I liked - Ristorante Da Casse (not on map) https://www.ristorantedacasse.com/ , Bar Ristorante Chisonetto (not on map)
https://restaurantguru.com/Chisonetto-Sestriere in Sestriere, Baita Mavie (nr. 18)https://www.facebook.com/baitamavie/ , towards Cesana and some more.

snowHead

Edit: Don't use this hotel: Hotel Savoia Debili - I say no more.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Is Sauze d'Oulx good for relaxed, cruisy skiing with nice scenery and excellent lunch stops?

Sauze (and Milky Way in general) is good for cruisy red skiing, a mixed of open high runs and down thru trees, with nice scenery and excellent lunch stops
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

Yes! It's perfect for that. It's exactly the reason I've been 5 times.

Stay at Stella Alpina if you can. And if you can't, at the very least go there for a drink (Scotch Bar).
ski holidays
Ok I have booked plane tickets and booked AirBNB with great views in Seistrie
My questions is :is there easy blue runs as my wife is not very confident even on some more challenging blue runs?!
Or we need to go to Saux purely for them easy/relaxing blues?
I can still cancel my booking free of charge and look for accommodation is Saux.
snow conditions
dashurik wrote:
Ok I have booked plane tickets and booked AirBNB with great views in Seistrie
My questions is :is there easy blue runs as my wife is not very confident even on some more challenging blue runs?!
Or we need to go to Saux purely for them easy/relaxing blues?
I can still cancel my booking free of charge and look for accommodation is Saux.

which are
Quote:
them easy/relaxing blues?
you speak of in Sauze?

have a read of the replies above a look at the piste map

Via Lattea is an intermediates paradise, but there is not a vast network on interconnected easy blues.

In Sauze she would be pretty much limited to the blue 52 of the Clotes lift

In Sest there is a bigger beginners with magic carpets and some blue pistes around that, off lift 22/23/ and 30 (by jumping off at the first stop). Blue 68 runs all the way down from Banchetta to Borgata (option to pick up blue 32 so far down too), but its not straightforward, it basically winds its way down the same hill that has red and black runs that come down the more direct route.
snow conditions
dashurik wrote:

Previous answers on here have been in the style of "Get her a private Italian instructor who is easy on the eye". Lessons and the willingness to learn should mean increased confidence.
snow conditions
Orange200 wrote:
dashurik wrote:

Previous answers on here have been in the style of "Get her a private Italian instructor who is easy on the eye". Lessons and the willingness to learn should mean increased confidence.

Is his name Luigi?? Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy