Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When is peak season in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Which weeks of the winter season are the Swiss ski resorts busiest?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Xmas, New year and almost all of February.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
........and outside of those dates it's private skiing!@telford_mike,
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
telford_mike wrote:

are there holiday dates for the schools in February?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To invert your question, the quietest time is the period after the New Year week to the first half-term week.

Switzerland is, in my experience always quieter than France, all other things being equal. The peak weeks are Christmas, New Year, the local Cantonal Half-terms and Easter. The thing they do have that I've not come across elsewhere is after half-term through to Easter, when there are 'sports weeks' for the schools. These aren't as big a deal as the main school holidays, but they may add a bit to the numbers on the slopes.

Once you have a candidate resort, it's worth checking what the local Canton half term is, as well as the main adjacent one e.g. for Verbier the local Canton is Valais (half-term Feb 20-24) and the next-door one is Vaud (h-t Feb 11-19).

Over and above this, like anywhere, it's always worth checking that there's not some major event in your candidate resort. Not just the obvious Freeride etc. (which you'll see from the publicity) but something like a university ski week. We did three weeks in the Swiss 4 Vallées once across late Jan early Feb and bang in the middle was the ski week for French medical students. The Tourist Office will usually know but you have to be a bit circumspect about exactly when you're visiting so you get them to explicitly tell you about something that means the place will be uncharacteristically busy.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 18-12-22 12:17; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

https://www.tcs.ch/fr/camping-voyages/informations-touristiques/bon-a-savoir/conseils-voyages/vacances-scolaires-jours-feries.php
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof, why you asking?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chaletbeauroc, ok thanks
@under a new name, to know whether it is as manic as france for 6 weeks of February and early March
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When we used to go half term (daughter at school) our experience is that it was a lot quieter than France for that week, I can't recall any significant lift queues. And because of the way French prices are massively increased that week, actually quite decently priced (though we had to be careful what we chose in restaurants).

But obviously our experience was limited to only some resorts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, The busiest weeks for ski resorts in Switzerland tend to be during the Christmas and New Year's holiday period, as well as the February school vacation period. These times generally coincide with the coldest and snowiest weather in the Alps, which makes for the best skiing and snowboarding conditions. It is important to note that ski resort crowds can vary significantly from year to year, depending on a variety of factors such as weather conditions and economic conditions. If you are planning to visit a ski resort in Switzerland, it is always a good idea to book your accommodations and lift tickets well in advance to ensure availability, and to be prepared for crowds and potentially higher prices during peak times.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DCG wrote:
@davidof, The busiest weeks for ski resorts in Switzerland tend to be during the Christmas and New Year's holiday period, as well as the February school vacation period. These times generally coincide with the coldest and snowiest weather in the Alps, which makes for the best skiing and snowboarding conditions. It is important to note that ski resort crowds can vary significantly from year to year, depending on a variety of factors such as weather conditions and economic conditions. If you are planning to visit a ski resort in Switzerland, it is always a good idea to book your accommodations and lift tickets well in advance to ensure availability, and to be prepared for crowds and potentially higher prices during peak times.

excellent, Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

There are usually 2 busy weeks that cover Geneva, Vaud, Valais and the main Euro ski countries. This year it’s Feb 11th to 25th
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, I see. I'd hazard a guess that if you are looking for a holiday, from where you are, Italy might well be quieter? and cheaper and Italian food and wine and etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, Val d'Anniviers resorts IME are fairly quiet on weekdays even in pretty peak weeks bit then rammed at the weekends. 5 days of resort skiing with 2 days of touting could be a pretty good week.

*I'll be annoyed if I've just replied to an AI chatbot
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, I see. I'd hazard a guess that if you are looking for a holiday, from where you are, Italy might well be quieter? and cheaper and Italian food and wine and etc.

Italy would be a good idea from that viewpoint but I have some other reasons to go to Switzerland.

Thanks for the specific info about Geneva btw. Very useful. Bob
latest report
Try Gstaad. Decent ski area and very few beds (plus half of the people there don’t go to ski). Never too busy. Skied it at New Year and never waited in any queues. Nothing too challenging though.
snow conditions
Quote:

5 days of resort skiing with 2 days of touting could be a pretty good week.

Cool
latest report
Great shout from @JoyZipper, Gstaad is too frequently ignored by the Brits.
If it works out too pricey on hotels then look over the col at Zweisimmen, easy access into one of the main areas.
snow report
My reason to visit the gnomes of Switzerland is nothing sinister - no nazi gold involved, just I may have a work reason to go and am flexible with my dates and I wanted to know if there was a period where it is absolutely rammed.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
My reason to visit the gnomes of Switzerland is nothing sinister - no nazi gold involved, just I may have a work reason to go and am flexible with my dates and I wanted to know if there was a period where it is absolutely rammed.

Even February is OK to be honest, it never gets too busy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy