Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach, Solden or Mayrhofen?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello.

Looking to book Austria for January 2024. Only ever been to Ischgl in Austria before and loved it although it was my first ever time skiing so I did struggle lol.
Since then I have been to Val d’isere, Bansko & Selva Val Gardena, in that order.

We’re a group of 3/4 lads in so looking for good apres but also good snow and plenty terrain. Preferably not too expensive though as we drink a lot Very Happy

Can anybody recommend a good resort for us? Austria has probably been my favourite so far in terms of the whole package. Would consider going back to Ischgl but also open to another similar resort in Austria.

Comfortable on reds now and skii’d a few blacks. Only had about 3 lessons, will look into having more.

Thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never been to solden, but the apres is way better in mayrhofen
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nba2005uk, if you are looking for the typical cheesy Austrian apres then Solden and Saalbach are both better than Mayrhofen.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fullducknodinner, I wouldn't agree. My view is that Solden's apres is second only to Ischgl's

I've been to Solden, Saalbach and Mayerhofen and enjoyed them all. None of them are too dissimilar to Ischgl but, for me, Ischgl has better skiing and apres than any of them. Better skiing and apres comes at a price, of course, as Ischgl is the most expensive of the four.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It would be between Mayrhofen and Saalbach for me, I’ve only been to Soelden for a 3 day trip but didn’t like the resort as much as I did the other two (I still enjoyed it very much though). For ski area I’d probably choose Mayrhofen, I loved the array of wide red runs there. But there’s a huge amount of skiing to be had in either Mayrhofen or Saalbach. With Mayrhofen, I found it had more of a small town feel to it, Saalbach a bit more of a ski village. But overall you’ll certainly find a lot of liveliness in any of those three resorts. Transfer-wise from the airports (I went Innsbruck to Mayrhofen, Salzburg to Saalbach), not much in it, certainly less than a couple of hours by TO coach and quicker if you get a private transfer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
consider white outs and high wind in sölden with no trees to get away from it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whilst Mayrhofen is great, I think Saalbach has the edge in terms of skiing variety, kilometres and access. As for Apres? Saalbach, every time - it’s legendary. I’ve not stayed in, or skied at Soelden.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is great scope for variety based in Mayrhofen if you are willing to travel to Hintertux and some of the other resorts along the valley. Each time I've been to Mayrhofen we've travelled to Hintertux, Kaltenbach and Zell.

I would happily go back to all 3 resorts but if I had to choose 1 it would be Saalbach.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saalbach has great apri at the Soul house, the live band they had in 2020 were great.

Second choice is the Hof, as for Solden, I wouldn't plan a return trip, too many other better choices.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saalbach, Mayrhofen and Solden in that order for me skiing wise.

Would happily go to Saalbach every year, although overdue a return...

Mayrhofen is ok but I prefer the skiing in the Zillertal arena.

Solden has reasonable skiing but not a great place to be in bad weather with a lack of trees.

I would put them in the same order for apres ski although its about 20 years since that was a factor in deciding where to go for me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nba2005uk, Saalbach is your answer. Apres is not quite at the Ischgl / St Anton level but not far off and likely to be cheaper. Sölden is ruined by the main road running through the village. Mayrhofen is fine and pretty good apres too. Skiing wise Saallbach is good if you like lots of cruisy pistes plus one or two harder bits which would seem to fit your requirements
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JimboS, was that the live band that had a lead singer who looked like Jurgen Klopp?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We were there twice in Jan and March 2020 both time scandi bands. First one had a fantastic girl guitarist.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=575332593321371&id=205638123312445
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swedish band there this year.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This was the band we saw in March 2020. Really entertaining

https://www.facebook.com/soulhousesaalbach/videos/we-do-apr%C3%A9s-ski-with-quality-%EF%B8%8Fwatch-minute-122-pricelesscoronafreezonehomeofl%C3%A4ss/655999505165598/
snow report
I'm with @Corky, Sölden's apres starts at 3pm and can go on until 3am if that's what you want. Plus Salbach's snow can tend to slush if there's the slightest hint of sun - imho.

With Sölden you get 3 hills over 3000m and a day at the Gurgles as well snowHead
ski holidays
Also been hearing Kitzbuhel and Alpbach a lot lately, do they compete with the likes of the above resorts? In terms of what I am looking for?

Thanks for the replies all!
ski holidays
Heading to Mayrhofen in March instead of Salbach as its only an hour from innsbruck so can get an afternoon in on the first day and a morning in on the last day as it works well with the flights
latest report
@nba2005uk, KItzbühel attracts a lot of well heeled Germans, so good for 5 star hotels. I think it has a really good ski area (I think better than S-H but know that is not a universal opinion) but not so good for (cheap) apres more Sekt & canapes than beer & Sweet Caroline. ALpbach is a very traditional spot with a small skiing area popular with families because of the traditional ambience not ideal for a lads skiing holiday- Personally I would recommend St Anton - the best skiing and the best apres (nowhere else comes close) but it is not cheap. If not difficult to beat Saalbach, yes the snow can suffer from the sun later in the season but that is not a factor in January. There is a very active Saallbach Hinterglemm thread ask on there
snow report
@nba2005uk, been to alpbach a few times, lovely picturesque village, but not where I would recommend for a lads trip, far more going on in Saalbach or Mayrhofen in that order.
ski holidays
I'm with @mozwold, on this one. To my mind standing around watching a band is not proper apres. Proper apres involves standing on a table in your ski boots bopping to cheesy Europop. Ischgl and Solden have that in abundance. Saalbach and Mayerhofen less so.
snow report
I love skiing in Austria and been to most of the defacto "top ten" ski areas.
Saalbach is probably my favourite. And if you've been to Ischgl it's hard to beat.
Definitely consider Saalbach, Solden, Mayrhofen as these I'd say are best value, then there's also St Anton, Schladming, Kitz and Soll. all big ski areas with great Apres, you can't go wrong.
snow report
@munich_irish has it right IMO (apart from I prefer skiing in Saalbach to Kitz wink )

nba2005uk wrote:
Also been hearing Kitzbuhel and Alpbach a lot lately, do they compete with the likes of the above resorts? In terms of what I am looking for?

Alpbach is lovely but quiet. Kitz is great, massive ski area, and though I personally prefer both the village and skiing in Saalbach, you'd definitely have a good time in Kitz.

Corky wrote:
I'm with @mozwold, on this one. To my mind standing around watching a band is not proper apres. Proper apres involves standing on a table in your ski boots bopping to cheesy Europop. Ischgl and Solden have that in abundance. Saalbach and Mayerhofen less so.

Plenty of that in Saalbach (even more if include the Hinterglemm end of the valley too).

I haven't skied in Solder, only biked there, but I don't like the village and there isn't much about the ski area that particularly appeals either. Arlberg, Ischgl, Saalbach and Kitz all have more variety. Arlberg and Ischgl definitely the best skiing, but at a price. Saalbach is the only Austrian ski resort I've paid to stay since moving to AT; I really like the village and the area and the overall vibe of the place. While it's got more expensive recently it's still definitely easier on the wallet than Ischgl and Arlberg, and if you're staying on piste IMO the skiing is just about just as good
snow conditions
My friends and I have been to quite a few Austrian resorts (many multiple times) and Kitzbuhel is the only one we wouldn't go back to.

The ski area was OK, and you can get the free train easily to other places, but we didn't like the apres. Couldn't find the usual Austrian apres that is in the other resorts. The 2 main bars in the evening appear to be an Irish bar and a London pub.
Felt more like a French resort than Austrian.

Maybe we just didn't find the right places to go.
ski holidays
@JimboS, we were there in 2020, yes the band was brilliant.
snow conditions
Anybody done Saalbach end of March? Thats when we went to Ischgl and it was awesome. Considering the same for Saalbach but not sure how the snow is?
ski holidays
End of March should be OK, likely slushy... I've been in Feb and had rain and March and been minus 10.
snow conditions
I went in mid March this year and was disappointed with the snow conditions, just too slushy. Been to Ischgl loads of times at the same time of year and and never had a problem with the conditions. Saalbach is a lot lower than Ischgl so if I were to go again I'd go in February.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Corky, Do you know what the conditions were like in Ischgl during the week in question? As I'm in Saalbach throughout the season I get an overview of the inevitable and sometimes dramatic fluctuations in weather and air temperatures. When the wind is foehnig (mild, moist, and blowing from the south), it can obviously cause a deterioration in snow conditions generally, although normal service is quickly resumed as soon as the wind direction changes. A bad week is often followed by a good week - the luck of the draw.
Generally speaking, my favourite times to ski in Saalbach tend to be the middle of December, the middle of January, the middle of March, and early April. Obviously the Foehn wind and a warm front can have a bearing on that. But, as @Disaster, says, you can have rain in February (or January), and minus 10 in March. Sometimes it's just weather, not necessarily altitude.
snow conditions
nba2005uk wrote:
Anybody done Saalbach end of March? Thats when we went to Ischgl and it was awesome. Considering the same for Saalbach but not sure how the snow is?

Several times, also in April. It is highly likely to be be glorious slush and soft moguls in the sun - wonderful stuff - but that time it can also dump snow 'til deep in the valley though. What you are fairly unlikely to have is unpleasant scraped hardpack pistes.

Ischgl at the same time is likely to have very similar weather but a couple of degrees colder. That can be good it can be bad - slush is actually really fun to ski, while corduroy that's frozen rock-hard overnight is pretty unpleasant until it's had an hour or two to soften in the sun.
snow report
Quote:

@JimboS, was that the live band that had a lead singer who looked like Jurgen Klopp?

That'll be Peter Thederan, a good guitarist, singer, entertainer and showman. His Swedish band perform in Castello (under the Hotel Saalbacherhof) late evening, and at the Soul House early evening (apres-ski time).

Last season the Soul House provided the best apres-ski in the whole Glemm valley, probably in fact the best I've ever seen. This season the Hinterhag Alm apres-ski party is starting up again, after being closed for two seasons. It'll be interesting to see how it fares.
snow conditions
@clarky999, @tatmanstours, I have nothing against Saalbach and wouldn't hesitate to go back but didn't like the slushy conditions, so if I went again I'd go a bit earlier in the season.
snow conditions
nba2005uk wrote:

I heard good things about Kitzbuhel but wouldn't return , seemed like a ghost town in the evenings.
As for Solden, Saalbach and Mayerhofen , you wont be disappointed with any of them skiing or Apres , you're going to do all 3 eventually Very Happy
Mayerhofen probably just tips it on the apres front , definitely up there with Ischgl
ski holidays
Regrets as the song goes ive had a few in my 68 years in which time ive been lucky enough to ski every year bar one (covid ) since being at school but none that is as big as missing out on going to eastern end of the austrian alps earlier . Much to my shame it took me until about 10 years ago before I relented (Due to accepting ill informed opinions mainly due to height and snow conditions ) and went to saalbach and just wish id gone there earlier . Im well aware we are all different, but its in another class altogether than the others in europe for a ski holiday in the austrian tradition .The skiing is varied in fact in a week you will find you can visit a different area everyday and other than getting back hardly do the same piste twice plus do a circular day tour both ways and go over to zell am see if so minded , The apres etc is as good as it gets with choice to suit all tastes and moods .The lift system is modern, fast and continually developing , piste preparation is first class. I have stayed in several different hotels all of which I would not put anyone off staying at, budget wise you pay for what you get and ive never come away feeling ripped off or suffering poor service .
latest report
nba2005uk wrote:

We went mid-March. You can see the conditions in the video in my signiture. We had some fresh stuff, but in general it was sunny and mild. The snow was great until about 2pm when it started to get suggary down low. But up higher was still lovely.

Having been to both Mayrhofen and Saalbach in March...for skiing I'd go for Saalbach. The ski area is just that much better. Obviously Mayrhofen has the Tux glacier but you'll be bored of that after a day. As for the town feel, both are lovely. Both have a good selection of bars.

Personally, Saalbach wins it for me but you'll have a great time at either one of them.
ski holidays
Corky wrote:

This, every time.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@Corky, Do you know what the conditions were like in Ischgl during the week in question? As I'm in Saalbach throughout the season I get an overview of the inevitable and sometimes dramatic fluctuations in weather and air temperatures. When the wind is foehnig (mild, moist, and blowing from the south), it can obviously cause a deterioration in snow conditions generally, although normal service is quickly resumed as soon as the wind direction changes. A bad week is often followed by a good week - the luck of the draw.
Generally speaking, my favourite times to ski in Saalbach tend to be the middle of December, the middle of January, the middle of March, and early April. Obviously the Foehn wind and a warm front can have a bearing on that. But, as @Disaster, says, you can have rain in February (or January), and minus 10 in March. Sometimes it's just weather, not necessarily altitude.

@tatmanstours please may I ask you a couple of questions about Hinterglemm specifically?

- does it have good blue runs for less confident skiers (in our group)?

- any nice hotels you’d recommend with a pool and spa. I know I can look up tripadvisor, but nothing beats the knowledge of a local!
ski holidays
@Snow&skifan, less confident skiers should enjoy the blue runs at Hochalm (a short ski bus ride along the valley from Hinterglemm), and the top half of the Zwölferkogel. In both cases, they can download in the gondola from mid-station if the lower slopes look too daunting on the way up.
As for hotels in Hinterglemm, I could hazard a few guesses, but rather than that (as I never stay in hotels) I would suggest you ask the question on the Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn thread. There are bound to be a few regulars who can recommend hotels in which they’ve stayed. (I believe the Alpine Palace is one, if you can afford it).
I’m more familiar with the hotels in Saalbach. Do you have a particular reason for opting for Hinterglemm?
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
@Snow&skifan, less confident skiers should enjoy the blue runs at Hochalm (a short ski bus ride along the valley from Hinterglemm), and the top half of the Zwölferkogel. In both cases, they can download in the gondola from mid-station if the lower slopes look too daunting on the way up.
As for hotels in Hinterglemm, I could hazard a few guesses, but rather than that (as I never stay in hotels) I would suggest you ask the question on the Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn thread. There are bound to be a few regulars who can recommend hotels in which they’ve stayed. (I believe the Alpine Palace is one, if you can afford it).
I’m more familiar with the hotels in Saalbach. Do you have a particular reason for opting for Hinterglemm?

Many thanks.

I only discovered the Saalbach resort thread after I posted here.

We’re a family looking for quiet, so revellers shouting and slamming hotel doors at 2am in lively Saalbach would be a nuisance. I save that for ski trips without them Smile Hence avoiding Saalbach.
snow report
@Snow&skifan, the impression you have gained is extremely inaccurate. Hinterglemm has a very lively/noisy après-ski scene (Goassstall, Schwarzacher et al) too.
Hereabouts it’s après-ski party time between 4.00pm and about 7.30pm. It’s there if you want it and can be a lot of fun. In fact it’s why many people come to Austria.
But it’s also easily avoided if you prefer peace and quiet. There are whole areas of Saalbach and Hinterglemm, and runs leading to them at the end of the skiing day, where you could hear a pin drop.
Later in the evening any jollity tends to be confined to noise-proof cellar bars and nightclubs. You could walk past one without knowing that anything was happening inside.
I know many families with small children who come to this area year after year, and wouldn’t go anywhere else.
The only words of complaint I’ve heard about noise from anyone who’s been to Saalbach (don’t know about Hinterglemm) have been from people who have booked/allocated rooms overlooking the main village street. That represents a tiny minority of those who stay here. There are some lovely hotels that are in serenely quiet locations. My own accommodation is literally a stone’s throw from the village centre, but it couldn’t be quieter.
I suspect that my comments may well apply equally to any ski village that has a bit of an après-ski nightlife.
The bottom line is that you have a choice, and it can be as quiet as you want it to be. And I’ve spent enough time in both villages to know that there’s little difference in terms of noise.
I’d be interested to hear any other opinions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy