Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing into Orelle

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if it’s possible to ski all the way down to Orelle? Looking at the piste map, it seems the only way to get there is by cable car, but I’m curious whether anyone has got all the way there on skis / board and if there’s a recommended route. Just for the fun. (Because 600km 3V piste just isn’t enough, of course Laughing )
Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have skied from the top of the Cime into the valley to the right as you face the valley to a service road and skinned back up to the the Gondola mid station also off the back of La Masse and the Peclet Glacier in Val T down into the Maurianne valley where I was picked up by taxis at one of the villages above back to the Orelle lift base .Orelle is very low so I suspect the answer is no as I’m sure a guide would have taken me but it is possible from different areas into the valley then via taxi .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No recommended route, doubt it's normally possible, never seen anybody do it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Orelle is pretty low at 900m - I have visions of getting stuck without snow half way down and having to walk the rest! I guess if it was going to be possible they would have put in at least a long blue down to the resort. Never mind, just a thought!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rob Mackley wrote:
Orelle is very low so I suspect the answer is no as I’m sure a guide would have taken me but it is possible from different areas into the valley then via taxi .

It is not so much the altitude but the face it is south facing so never builds a base so you'd need at least 50cm of dense snow to be skiable and then it would be too slow to descend down the service road and/or too dangerous from the avalanche risk. There are quite a few ski resorts with pistes at 900m which operate during the midwinter months.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chyvan, yes you can but it is a moderately 'involved' off piste descent and needs a series of really cold spells to put and then keep snow on the lower sections.

See here: http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.com/2011/01/into-wild.html

You 'could' potentially just follow the road from Plan Bouchet down, though this would involve huge amounts of very flat poling/pushing (scooching for the boarders...)/walking, and still lands you on some bush-whacking/combat skiing unless you want to walk miles on tarmac at the bottom to get to the lift...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@offpisteskiing, Wow! That was good going.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loved reading that blogpost! Excellent adventuring!
Thanks for the helpful thoughts. (And for the introduction to the term ‘bush-whacking/combat skiing’! Laughing )
Something to bear in mind when I get out there in Jan. Certainly lots of interesting off piste options from the blog too.
Cheers! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heading to Orelle on Boxing day, and looking forward to trying the new (for me) gondola - but no way I'd be looking to try to ski down...!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
going up with gondola it looked doable, if enough snow. At the time I was there, the grass was green around appartment block, so it was out of the question.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lunch stop when you’ve battled down there.
Beer from bar about 50m away.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just been in Orelle for a couple of nights, then over to Val Thorens (as a foot passenger, see video below). Really liked Orelle, but even though it's 900m, which isn't so low, it is south-facing and no plans to add piste down there. There is a road but I was told that it's 17km from Plan du Bouchet, so while some resorts would add that to their piste map and claim the extra kms, not really suitable. Lift is very efficient though, claimed 13mins from Orelle to mid-station, but I measured it at 20mins, possibly running lift slow as low season.

Really did like Orelle, nice atmosphere. Not for everyone, but prices were a pleasant change:

http://youtube.com/v/ImfJK9dPG0o
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chyvan wrote:
Does anyone know if it’s possible to ski all the way down to Orelle? Looking at the piste map, it seems the only way to get there is by cable car, but I’m curious whether anyone has got all the way there on skis / board and if there’s a recommended route. Just for the fun. (Because 600km 3V piste just isn’t enough, of course Laughing )
Thanks!

There is an itinerary route down which is the emergency route for any lift breakdowns (and perhaps one day a 3V cycle link as they’ve tarmac’s the first 7 KM). But you wont be able to do it at the moment as not enough snow low down. Every few years there is a week or so when there is enough snow and cold enough that you can get most of the way down but last 5km is down the side of the road.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if anyone is thinking about staying in orelle, drop me a line as i might be able to help
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good review @iainm, and of value for those that where interested on another thread regarding connection from Maurienne Valley in attempting a ski loop around those principal ski areas as a tour.

Always breathtaking, in most application of that description, at those altitude above the ski villages. Certainly a beautiful environment there.

Thanks for posting.
snow report
@ajc2260626, What do you have in mind? We are relocating from a rained out resort in NW Alps and camping in our van there for a few nights next week. Is there anything reasonably priced in the village accommodation wise?
snow conditions
@Skeeezo, i own an apt in a development there, mine might be avail depending on what dates you need ? and if mine isn't available im sure there will be other ones in the development....... mines one of the larger ones with 3 bed..... what dates you after?
snow report
@ajc2260626, We are planning to arrive on the 28th and leave on the first. We have some flexibility though. We have a non refundable apartment rented in Le Grand Bornand for a week from the 27th we can still use Crying or Very sad

Three or four good days skiing would save the trip.
ski holidays
i would imagine those dates will be tricky as its just half of a peak weak, but email these guys proprietaires@alpvisionresidences.com and say that andy cowlishaw and owner pointed you in there direction and they might be able to help.....
latest report
ski3 wrote:
Good review @iainm, and of value for those that where interested on another thread regarding connection from Maurienne Valley in attempting a ski loop around those principal ski areas as a tour.

Always breathtaking, in most application of that description, at those altitude above the ski villages. Certainly a beautiful environment there.

Thanks for posting.
Thanks. I also wrote this up for J2Ski:
https://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/0/20172/discovering-orelle-secret-4th-valley-les-3-vallees.page
ski holidays
Yes it is. There was snow all the way down last year and we managed to ski all the way down to the apartments just above the orelle gondola and car park at the valley floor. It is a long way but possible when there is good snow cover. If ski under the top gondola station, keep heading down track and circle past the church, there is a small climb then its a track all the way down. Mainly just involves doing mileage but was a challenfe nonetheless.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy