Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to 3V by train ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have spent some time trying to work out if a train is feasible to get my son from Geneva airport to near the 3V on Jan 2nd evening. His flight gets in at 7:30 and we are in La Tania. All the shared transfers I have contacted are full, or the flight lands too late. Is there a train from Geneva heading to somewhere like Albertville (and I can drive down and collect) rather than do the entire round trip to collect him?. Have done trainline app and others to try and work it out myself. Aware a couple of changes may be required, but nothing coming up that doesnt take 4-5 hours, buses, several trains and long waits
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look at the Swiss rail timetable at SBB.ch and set the from as Genève-Aéroport and see wht's available. I'm assuming your 7.30 is 19:30. If the schedule is workable, then the best ticket will be a Saver Day Pass but I'm not sure if this isn't only for routes within Switzerland.

The Saver Day Pass allows for travel on train, télépherique and PostBus anywhere in Switzerland on the designated travel day, and up to 5am the following morning. It's available 60 days or less before the travel date and the price rises and you get nearer to the travel date, or it's unavailable if all the allocation goes. But as I said, I don't know what the applicability is outside of CH.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 14-12-22 10:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chambery looks a better bet than Albertville. You can change in Chambery and get a train up to Albertville but it looks to add almost 1.5 hours to the trip

I use sbb.ch for trains which touch Switzerland
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
via Chambery looks like the only route, yes 19:30. will check SBB.ch as the apps I have used dont have trains leaving that late. I suspect I may have a road trip to Geneva after my days skiing.....thanks for prompt reply
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@risb98, as above, Chambery would be the best option normally, though evening trains are few and far between - either sbb.ch or sncf-connect.com should give you any options. Probably next best bet is train to Annecy - a bit further to drive but still not as far as GVA...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
offpisteskiing wrote:
@risb98, as above, Chambery would be the best option normally, though evening trains are few and far between - either sbb.ch or sncf-connect.com should give you any options. Probably next best bet is train to Annecy - a bit further to drive but still not as far as GVA...

Yes have come to that conclusion using sbb.ch website, 9pm train, collect form annecy at 10:15, 90 minute drive back up to LaTania assuming weather ok.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@risb98, there may be the possibility of you halving your pick up distance by considering the short transfer from Geneva airport at 20.19 to Geneva Cornavin (change) and then on to Annecy arriving 22.16. However, while the website www.sncf-connect.com does show this route it also says not reservable. I don't know why this is, maybe someone else does?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It you are going to Annecy you'd be mad not to drive to the airport to pick your son up.

The train is not reservable because it is a TER.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
risb98,

Unfortunately it's not looking good for trains that day after about 6pm Sad .

An alternative approach would be to sleep at a Geneva Airport hotel that night, then travel onward the following morning.

We stayed in the Nash Hotel last winter. They offer a free shuttle bus to/from the airport (a 5 minute drive) and there is a good, reasonably priced Italian restaurant (Gioconda) over the road to the hotel. We paid about 70 quid for a room (room only) and it's a very nice hotel.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Geneva to Annecy trains aren't TER, they are commuter trains "Léman Express".
Geneva airport to Geneva city (Cornavin) costs 3 CHF and trains run roughly every 15 min, take 7 minutes into the city. The connection you saw at 20.19 from GVA is exactly that.
However, I tend to agree that Annecy really isn't that much closer than GVA, and driving at that time there should be no commuter traffic.
Tolls are ~8-10 EUR one way between Geneva and Annecy, and Léman Express might be around 20 to Annecy.
There's a direct bus (272) from GVA to Annecy at 1940 and 2100, taking 1.5h for 12 CHF.
Check flixbus for routes out of both airport and Geneva city as well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did it last week, train to Moûtier then bus, easy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nevis1003, Is there much snow in the Jura yet?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many thanks for replies. After some searching we have found a seat on a shared transfer for 85 Euros so will go with that. Train was 12 Swiss francs and looked quite straightforward. Thought Annecy would save me a few hours from La Tania compared to Geneva, especially after having driven there the previous day. Knowledge on here always v helpful. Cheers
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
@nevis1003, Is there much snow in the Jura yet?

There is lots in the 3V been snowing all day, off and on. Don't know about the Jura.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nevis1003, Moutier is in the Jura, the nearest station to th 3V is Moûtiers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy