Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My annual 'Where to ski" question

Poster: A snowHead
Got flights booked April 7th-14th for the family to Geneva. We've been going to Tignes in April for the past 5 years and loved it but thinking of a change.

I've been to Morzine several times and really like the town and the Apres ski choices.

Morzine closes on the 10th April, could we stay in Morzine for the week, ski until the 10th and then get the ski bus every day to Avoriaz?

Would the weather be warm just like Tignes at this time of year?
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Probably. Morzine will, generally, be warmer than Tignes as it's such a lot lower. Liable to be a slushfest. Why not head to Avoriaz for the whole time? Personally I'd probably go back to Tignes..... but can imagine a change would be nice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mjh1972, its closing for a reason and even the Avoriaz lifts top out at only about 2200m. Everywhere will be warm, but just some places will have decent snow. Tignes/Val d'Isere, Val Thorens, Verbier, Zermatt are all solid bets, the rest of the 3V, Les Arcs, La Plagne all reasonable bets, La Grand Montets if you don't mind doing the same runs over and over, Zinal/Grimentz good but small. Off the top of my head can't think of anything else very worthwhile in mid April from Geneva. Glacier 3000? Looks very small
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't been to Avoriaz so was thinking of somewhere I know. What's the Apres ski like? I have an 18 year old son who would like a couple of beers, with cheesy music playing after the slopes.

Transer to Tignes is very expensive, getting quotes of £1000 return and nearly 4 hours long
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val Thorens? Transfer shouldn't be anywhere near that expensive for shared transfers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Renting a car will cost far less than £1000. But are your dates definitely Fri/Fri? That might complicate the accommodation options, though that late in the season it shouldn't be impossible.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My mate went to Les Arcs late last season and had a great time, bar getting caught in a dump without snowchains...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

bar getting caught in a dump without snowchains...

Laughing Amazing what people will do to save a few quid
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Transer to Tignes is very expensive, getting quotes of £1000 return and nearly 4 hours long

Shirley the helicopter is faster than that!

How many people was this quote for BTW. I would imagine the train to Bourg and the bus to Tignes would be in the order of £100 per person.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I searched a few months ago so maybe costs hadn't been updated, just had a quick look and roughly 700 euros return transfer too Tignes (4 people)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zermatt on the train. 680 chf door to door return in first class for 4! Needless to say a lot less in standard, roughly half. Great journey, pretty much guaranteed skiing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I would imagine the train to Bourg and the bus to Tignes would be in the order of £100 per person.

And for a family of four or five a rented car will probably be both cheaper and quicker.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
twoodwar wrote:
Zermatt on the train. 680 chf door to door return in first class for 4! Needless to say a lot less in standard, roughly half. Great journey, pretty much guaranteed skiing.

Cost me 102 CHF each way from GVA to Zermatt in second class. Though my kid's ticket was only 19 CHF, so maybe it was a family saver or something. Puzzled

Anyway a +1 for Zermatt for those dates.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 11-12-22 18:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for Zermatt by train

mjh1972 wrote:
I have an 18 year old son who would like a couple of beers, with cheesy music playing after the slopes.

In that case I would go to Austrai next year (can't do that easily from GVA this year)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Zermatt idea is great, we skied the week ‘before’ that in the past, all three mountains had good snow at all levels.
snow conditions
Saas Fee is another good option at that time of year. We go every spring.
ski holidays
Les Menuires
snow report
If you want a change from Tignes, I'd look at Les Arcs/La Plagne or the 3 valleys if you stick to France.

Avoriaz is great, and there's a bit of Apres in the form of La Folie Douche, but, it's not a huge party town, more family orientated, and that late in the season with a max elevation of 2600m, it wouldn't be the top of my list.

Are you looking specifically at private transfers? Shared transfers are cheaper, plus for the Tarentaise valley resorts you can also get a regular train, and then bus up the hill. It'll be much cheaper than a private transfer. Trains from Geneva Airport to Bourg Saint Maurice on that Friday seem to range from €38.50-42.50 and just an extra €4 to upgrade to 1st class.
latest report
@swskier, PdS gets nowhere near 2600m, it tops out somewhere between 2200m and 2300m
ski holidays
@rambotion, just checked the map, 2466m apparently
latest report
@swskier, that's the summit of Les Haut Forts at 2466m with precisely zero lifts or pistes anywhere near it and simply included to deceive people into thinking that Avoriaz offers higher altitude skiing than it really does. There are no lifts that go above 2300m in the PdS
snow report
@rambotion, that's well dodgy isn't it. I've never been and just looked at the piste map.

It clearly states Avoriaz 1800 - 2466 but when you look the Grand Combes lift falls some short - and actually looking it up the lift tops out 2203 with Pointe de Mossette seeming to be the highest point at 2277.
snow report
mjh1972 wrote:
Got flights booked April 7th-14th for the family to Geneva. We've been going to Tignes in April for the past 5 years and loved it but thinking of a change.

I've been to Morzine several times and really like the town and the Apres ski choices.

Morzine closes on the 10th April, could we stay in Morzine for the week, ski until the 10th and then get the ski bus every day to Avoriaz?

Thanks

Personally I would look at Val Thorens - it ticks many of the same boxes as Tignes, but you'll have a brand new area to ski and explore.

The issue with anywhere else is that the resort will be lower, and consequently the skiing in resort is more likely to be compromised. In mid-April you might be fine, but you might not. If the skiing conditions are poor in Val Thorens, then you'll have the small sliver of comfort that they're probably poor everywhere including Tignes. Skiing at resort level might not be that important, which opens up the options - but you still need to find a resort with enough upper slopes (that don't involve coming low for a chair/gondola), such as Zermatt.

We've been to Avoriaz late March/early April, and it was great - but the risk increases the more you go towards mid-April. And a lot of the skiing is below the resort.
snow report
As usual I am amazed at how France centric the answers to this type of question are! There are other skiing nations available especially from Geneva.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy