Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Additional fees when buying skis from EU online retailers (Gliss Shop, Snow Inn, Sport Conrad etc.)?

Poster: A snowHead
Am I likely to be stung for import duty/custom fees if ordering skis to the UK from an EU retailer, such as Gliss Shop, Snow Leader, Snow Inn, Ekosport, Sport Conrad etc.? What are your recent experiences?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm interested in the answers too. I was left even more confused after someone tried to explain
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Glisshop build the fees into the cost - but they may be the only ones that do.

I cannot say this with absolute certainty - others with experience will need to confirm.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not Glisshop.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sport conrad no longer ship to the UK.... (or at least, they weren't last year... although the were kind enough to ship to a hotel in Austria for me)
short answer - check each vendor, I bought some sails recently from Netherlands, and they added the duty onto the price prior to purchase.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I just bought some skis from snowleader. Website price was something like 350 euro. At checkout I paid around 280 euro and the vat and customs of £60 was paid to the deliver company on delivery. No problems.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hamilton wrote:
sport conrad no longer ship to the UK.... (or at least, they weren't last year... although the were kind enough to ship to a hotel in Austria for me)
short answer - check each vendor, I bought some sails recently from Netherlands, and they added the duty onto the price prior to purchase.

Looks like that might have changed recently: https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/tax-free-information/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I recently bought some skis from snowcountry.eu

In summary:
1) EU vendor subtracts local VAT rate from purchase price
2) UK purchaser needs to pay UK-VAT & £12 brokerage fee to the courier before skis will be delivered.

Good summary below.
Another pointless "brexit-dividend" that previously was seamless.

Ordering from the UK after Brexit and leaving the Customs Union
https://www.snowcountry.eu/customerservice/ordering/ordering-from-the-uk
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Haggis_Trap, so before Brexit, a UK buyer paid the ex-VAT price plus local (eg. French) VAT and now we pay the ex-VAT price plus UK VAT…?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Red Leon wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, so before Brexit, a UK buyer paid the ex-VAT price plus local (eg. French) VAT and now we pay the ex-VAT price plus UK VAT…?

Pretty much - though you need to pay the UK-VAT manually (plus a broker fee) to the courier after the purchase.
Needless intermediate step that previously didn't exist.
If you had to send anything back I can imagine it would be a royal ball-ache.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Duck wrote:
I just bought some skis from snowleader. Website price was something like 350 euro. At checkout I paid around 280 euro and the vat and customs of £60 was paid to the deliver company on delivery. No problems.

Same experience from Snowleader. All went well and was kept up to date with order progress.
The skis were priced in pounds but price paid to Snowleader was the price less import etc, and the remainder paid to the delivery company.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know it's a bit late - but I've just ordered new skis from Snow Inn (Trade Inn) and checked before buying, they state:

Will I be asked to pay additional VAT or duty charges upon receiving my parcel in the United Kingdom?
No, the price on our website will be the final cost to you. There will be no additional VAT or duty charges requested on delivery by our carriers. We have done all we can to prepare for Brexit in the best way possible to offer the best experience for the customer.

HTH

Padster
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've bought 3 sets of skis from Glisshop in the last year. Most recently late November. There are no additional charges that I've had to pay on delivery.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got some new skis from Glisshop on Saturday, ordered on the Monday PM. All fees covered.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Digging this thread up again as I was searching for info on snowcountry.eu

Just wanted to check they're a legitimate company?

They have the smith goggle lense I'm after with a 20% discount, so before I go and order, I want to make sure its not a scam site!

Don't need any info on import fees or anything as I'm EU based.
latest report
I bought from EkoSport in 2022 (2 pairs on 2 separate occasions).
I got an email from ParcelForce/Customs demanding a release fee before they would deliver.
On Delivery, I emailed EkoSport with a scan of the customs charges that I'd paid
They then refunded the local French VAT that had been charged on my invoice from them.

So basically, the only increase in price from what I saw on their original website was the difference between French VAT and UK-Customs. I think it was around £2 each time.
Before buying from EkoSport I read these pages, and also searched their online FAQ, and noted that others had done this refund route as well... so there was no surprises for me.

Reading other people's answers, you'll probably have a completely different experience again!
ski holidays
Snowcountry are legit. Son has bought skis. Should be fine if in EU - they don’t include import fees to uk in their prices. You can call and speak to them.
ski holidays
jamescollings wrote:
I bought from EkoSport in 2022 (2 pairs on 2 separate occasions).
I got an email from ParcelForce/Customs demanding a release fee before they would deliver.
On Delivery, I emailed EkoSport with a scan of the customs charges that I'd paid
They then refunded the local French VAT that had been charged on my invoice from them.

So basically, the only increase in price from what I saw on their original website was the difference between French VAT and UK-Customs. I think it was around £2 each time.
Before buying from EkoSport I read these pages, and also searched their online FAQ, and noted that others had done this refund route as well... so there was no surprises for me.

Reading other people's answers, you'll probably have a completely different experience again!

I bought some skis and bindings from Ekosport in November this year and paid exactly what was shown on the screen. Having seen some negative reviews mentioning unexpected customs fees, I queried before ordering and was told that they have changed their exports system and all UK VAT, duty and customs feed are now included in the price charged at the point of sale. Only slight negative comment was that for the delivery they used Evri - who apparently have limited capacity for bulky goods. So they sat in warehouse for a week before reaching me.
snow conditions
dan100 wrote:
Snowcountry are legit. Son has bought skis. Should be fine if in EU - they don’t include import fees to uk in their prices. You can call and speak to them.

Thanks ordered the lenses, and they should arrive Friday snowHead
latest report
Bought some bindings from Snowleader last month - zero issues and paid the bargain price stated in £ on the website. Several items from the Arctreyx outlet again zero issues / additional costs. . .
ski holidays
Likewise snowleader. They are legit. Ordered 2 pairs of goggles and came really quickly.
snow report
Ordered new skis and bindings from Snow Leader 6 days ago. Advertised as duty and VAT paid. Also got a 20% hohoho Santa discount Toofy Grin Arrived today via Evri and no further charges. On top of that they included a packet of complimentary cheese wafers - couldn't be happier Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I just ordered from Glisshop as well, no extra to pay and arrived in under a week. They've also got 20% off until 24/12.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy