Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the best silliest souvenir you've brought back from a ski holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Out in Japan many of the workers outside wear these boots, they are different to ordinary wellies in that there's nigh on 35mm of insulation on the foot and an amazing grip, which you need out there in the freezing temps.

I was with @KenX and the OH and I was on a bit of a mission to find some when we stopped off in a town whilst on a road trip, and in a hardware store I found some.

They thought I was mildly bonkers buying them, it also meant I had to travel back to France wearing them, as I had no room in my luggage.

But what prompts me to write this, is that it's currently dumping outside and I've already been out snow-clearing 3x and they are just superb when the snow is piling up, although it's getting to the point when I might have to put my gaiters on over them, or just wear some ski-pants instead rolling eyes

I actually googled Japanese snow wellies and evidently, there is a Swedish Company making them, FUBUKI™ was conceived in Niseko, Japan, founded by Swedes, and I seem to recall that before I went to Japan I bumped into some Swedes here wearing them?

So you can buy them in Europe https://fubukiboots.com/ though mine are non-label designer ones (originals).

So any other stupid retail purchases in resort, good or bad that you're proud or embarrassed about ?

Wow just wondering if I should have put this through some AI software first ? Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 9-12-22 12:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We got a toy Marmot dressed as an astronaut, that when pressed, it farted and then said, "Houston, we have a problem". Skullie

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 9-12-22 13:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Old Fartbag wrote:
We got a toy Marmot dressed as an astronaut , that when pressed, it farted and then said, "Houston, we have a problem". Skullie

I think you’re on the wrong thread. This is for silly souvenirs, where as a farting marmot astronaut sounds absolutely amazing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
We got a toy Marmot dressed as an astronaut , that when pressed, it farted and then said, "Houston, we have a problem". Skullie

I think you’re on the wrong thread. This is for silly souvenirs, where as a farting marmot astronaut sounds absolutely amazing.

My Son who was 7 at the time, certainly thought so.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We purchased a rustic wooden clock in Livigno, bug to fit in suitcase but still working and still love it 20 years on.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:

We have a winner
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought a tartiflette dish with the recipe printed on the inside - all very well until you start putting the ingredients in it so that you can no longer read it.

They also seem to have overstated the amount of potatoes needed by at least 50% as I found out to my cost the first time I tried to follow the recipe (although it meant I had enough to fill another dish so I must have been eating tartiflette for a week)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Who didn't buy a Grole from Italy, follow the recipe, realise it actually tasted worse than you remember (and it was pretty bad), and then wonder where it is in your house because you never had the heart to throw away such a wonderful memory?

Just me?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@garfy1971, I bought one. Collecting dust somewhere in our cave in Monetier I think.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mrs M has a collection of motion activated yodelling marmots.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I normally only big fridge magnets. I tend to pick one up wherever I go for a trip (skiing or otherwise). I’ve just gone to the fridge to count how many skiing ones there are, ans it appears my wife has been “tidying” as there is only one single Les Gets one there.

Shocked

Words will be has!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about this one of my party bought in Bad Hofgastein back in 2019?

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cheap pine piste signs that I have no idea what to do with.
I have a stack of them in a cupboard, but still insist on buying one for every trip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A busted knee. rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kerb, I didn't think my farting Marmot Astronaut would be beaten - but I think it just has. Shocked

I take it they were driving - as I'd love to see the conversation during check-in at the Airport...."It's OK, I'm wearing it on the flight".
snow report
Mugs shaped like ski boots from St. Anton
Cowbell for the OH from Verbier (she wasn't impressed)
ski holidays
Snow.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
@kerbI take it they were driving - as I'd love to see the conversation during check-in at the Airport...."It's OK, I'm wearing it on the flight".

They had flown, but wanted the helmet so much they arranged a friend who was elsewhere in Austria to drive over to collect it!

But I really didn’t want to reignite the whole wearing helmet when skiing debate Happy
snow report
The best was a cheese slice from Norway, with a lovely handle made from somebody's antler. That was in about 1962. Back then a cheese slice was a novelty in the UK (as were duvets - I came home raving about them). I gave the cheese slice to my grandmother, and inherited it when she died in 1966. It's been used ever since and still going strong. So not silly, sorry.......
snow conditions
Mate of mine went into a shop in Avoriaz to pick up something to take home for his wife one year and settled on a round pot that goes on the kitchen side and holds utensils (spatula, whisk etc). It was only after paying that he discovered that the utensils in it were part of the deal, not just for display and he then had to ski back to Ardent car park (reasonable distance for those who don't know it) with said gift under his jacket. Halfway down a child caught up to us to return the whisk that had fallen out and been dropped on the piste. We still laugh about it but in reality had he landed on the thing it would probably have done him some damage!
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
We got a toy Marmot dressed as an astronaut, that when pressed, it farted and then said, "Houston, we have a problem". Skullie
That is like something I would buy.
snow report
@kerb, brilliant, that definitely takes the biscuit so far, but the farting marmot nearly caused me to spray tea over the keyboard Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Halfway down a child caught up to us to return the whisk that had fallen out

Laughing
snow conditions
We bought a small stuffed moose at Whistler to give to our newborn niece. But we ended up keeping it for ourselves, and we take Mr. Moose on most of our travels. But we’re all playing for second place because that helmet ain’t gonna be beat.
latest report
Does child number 3 count?
snow report
32 fluffy polyester snowballs from my 4 days in Morzine! Remember it never snows in Lisbon. Didn’t tell the family but popped upstairs to loosely wrap them in 4 tubes of 8. They were the last presents to be unwrapped on Christmas morning, after the usual. I told people to stay in the four corners of the living room with one tube each and open on the count of 3. I unleashed the fastest, they quickly got it, and we spent the next 20 mins firing and returning fire until out of breath from throwing or laughing so hard.
Fantastic for a harmless indoor snowball fight.
latest report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:

Was it yours?
snow conditions
COVID twice, March 2020 and Jan 2022.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought a Cuckoo Clock from the shop on St Anton High street in 2005. A mate of mine also bought one there on our first trip in 1990.

The shop was usually empty, and run by a slightly eccentric old woman who used to lock the door if there was more than one set of customers in at a time. She gave everyone exactly the same detailed explanation about how to setup the clocks and how they were hand carved in the black forest, not some mass produced item.

The shop remained exactly the same every year but I noticed that last year it had finally closed down, shame really, it was a bit of history in the town.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
So you can buy them in Europe https://fubukiboots.com/ though mine are non-label designer ones (originals).

Those look great! Though we don't get a lot of snow here at 600m, so I rarely need anything more substantial than trainers, but if snow clearing ever becomes a bigger feature in my life, I will need a pair of these in a ridiculous colour!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
The best was a cheese slice from Norway, with a lovely handle made from somebody's antler. That was in about 1962. Back then a cheese slice was a novelty in the UK (as were duvets - I came home raving about them). I gave the cheese slice to my grandmother, and inherited it when she died in 1966. It's been used ever since and still going strong. So not silly, sorry.......

Genuinely thought you was talking about a slice of cheese. Then got confused how a slice of cheese was a novelty! Laughing
latest report
Orange200 wrote:

Was it yours?

Unless it was an immaculate conception, yes. Born exactly 9 months later and now a Ski Instructor in Whistler. Must have been the Mountain Air. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Unless it was an immaculate conception, yes

Puzzled
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:

On a summer road trip a mate bought a Marmott in LaRos' (so kind of ski related) that yodled if you shook it. He then gaffer taped it to his m/bike tank. By LaThuile he was sick of the constant yodeling and so, being his mates, we refused to stop long enough for him to get the batteries out for the rest of the day Laughing
snow report
Very Happy Very Happy
holidayloverxx wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

We have a winner

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Our two boys bought a combined back scratcher/shoe horn with their holiday money in Val di Fassa a few years back.
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:

I came back from a trip with a new girlfriend. Shes not silly though so not sure that counts? If I squeeze her hard enough she farts ....but it's me who has the problem then Laughing
snow conditions
Not a silly one but we usually get a Christmas tree decoration from wherever we go. My son took a shine to this little bauble, but there was no price. The shop lady , with Swiss efficiency, swiftly wrapped charged it up, by the time I noticed it was getting on for £30 it was too late to disappoint all involved. I should have known as it was in Zermatt.

It will have to take pride of place on the tree for quite a few years and will form part of his inheritance.
ski holidays
A pisteur’s snow shovel. It’s not snowed here since.
ski holidays

We managed child number 1! Certainly put the kybosh on the 3 week North America resort crawl we were thinking of doing the following season (by which time child number 1 was born and number 2 was on the way). Still to do the North America trip!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy