Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for last ski holiday, odd requests, sorry!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Please could anyone help. I am a quite seriously ill (no fuss please) and want to go on one last ski holiday with my family, if I possibly can. My boys are in sixth form so we need to go first week of Easter holidays but I’m looking for a resort with shortest possible flight from UK and shortest possible transfer from airport to resort as I do not travel well. Skiing needs to be fun - the boys are excellent skiers and not a totally dead apres ski as they all like a bit of fun and I like to join them for a drink if I can.
This will be our last big holiday so money is not a consideration (please don’t judge) but if you could also suggest somewhere to stay basically very very close to a ski lift (not drag lift as I can’t get on those) so I can meet them for lunch then that would be an added bonus and comfy for me as I HATE not skiing anymore but you never know I might get out for the odd hour or two - fingers and toes crossed.
If I get too sick, my husband would have to bring me home early and we’d leave the boys to finish their holiday - we can either drive from the airport and then get them a transfer back to the airport or whatever but it would be nice to know they were being fed if we have to leave!! Don’t mind via a company or independent.
Any ideas would be very gratefully received. Thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No fuss post as requested.

Closest flight is likely to be Geneva, and in April you will be better off with a higher resort. I think the highest resort with the shortest transfer time will be Avoriaz.

Others will be able to recommend accommodation and wether or not it fits your other criteria.

I hope you manage to have as good a holiday as possible.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@LucillaP, Flaine, Forum, specifically "Hotel Le Totem" is a very good fit.

Close to Geneva, has exemplary mixed group access with no real compromise for time with family whether skiing or not, lunch etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chatel

But from witch airport in the UK?

Hotel or Chalet to get boys feed.

(stairs)?

snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 9-12-22 11:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Geneva - Verbier or Zermatt are where I would go for the purposes you’ve mentioned.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
do you prefer slightly longer flight & shorter transfer time or shorter flight with longer transfer time?
All very well people saying Geneva for a shorter flight, but depending on the resort, transfers can be 3hr+ for decent snow at Easter!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avoriaz is a good option in terms of flight length and transfer time and the Amara Apartments are very nice (got a spa there too). Pretty simple to walk to the restaurants at the top end of town too, which are obviously easy for them to ski to for lunch, as it's ski-in, ski-out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You might be interested to speak to the team at Ski Champoluc https://ski-champoluc.com/about-us/. Pre COVID they were Ski 2 (Brexit and COVID did for the original business sadly). They seem to be offering the same sort of deal as Ski 2, with inclusive personal transfers from the airport (from Turin 1.5 hours) to pretty much any hotel in the resort that you fancy. We've only been to Champoluc a couple of times, but it was a very pretty resort with some lovely hotels and some great skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Geneva - Verbier or Zermatt are where I would go for the purposes you’ve mentioned.

Isn’t Zermatt a longer transfer from Geneva than many resorts that could work, 4 or so hours by train, not too much less by car?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski3 wrote:
@LucillaP, Flaine, Forum, specifically "Hotel Le Totem" is a very good fit.

I agree. Nice flat area from drop-off to hotel, to the DMS cablecar up to 2200 metres for lunch or whatever, with several bars and restaurants all on the same level just a stone's throw from the hotel, and more up at the Foret level accessed by elevator. Superb ski area, always had a great late snow record when I used to SCGB rep there (20-ish years back, but still).

What's the Totem like these days? I stayed there once in staff accommodation at the end of its last year of proper Hotel use, place was a wreck, staff didn't give a poo-poo as it was all going to be ripped out in a few week's time. Was a shame, 'cos it had been a genuinely nice 4* hotel, with many original Picasso artworks and facilities to match.

The next season I was first rep in (but thankfully not staying there any more) and witnessed some of the teething problems when it was starting out as a Crystal "Chalet Hotel". Different operating model, of course, but it seemed to be OK at that time, from what I saw. Is it still run by them or has it changed again?

Edit: answering my own question, I see it has been renovated and now looks quite nice again https://en.terminalneigetotem.com/rooms-and-suite
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LucillaP, IMO you get a better choice of resorts with short transfer times from Innsbruck, 1 hour 20 minutes roughly to either Ischgl or St Anton. Late season Iscgl is probably one of the best resorts in the alps
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try Fraser Wilkin at Snow-Wise
https://www.snow-wise.com

We've had well organised, bespoke trips with them, always good, with private transfers. Not cheap, but if you chatted with him, I bet he'd meet all your needs.

Caveat: IF they survived the pandemonium. The website did!

Good Hunting
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LucillaP, w.r.t. the short flight and transfer requirement, have you considered traveling by train as an alternative? This allows quite a bit more flexibility in terms of space to move around during the journey. I wrote about my journey to Val Thorens and back by train here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=160015&highlight=

Apologies if this isn't helpful, as I don't know the limitations on your travel and health issues, but thought it worth throwing into the mix.

Once there, somewhere like Val Thorens or Tignes might also work very well for your family and they are resorts with a good record for late season snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some thoughts are
I might be inclined not to go for a particularly high resort to stay in as if you are not well the altitude could be a problem. Though for your sons enjoyment I would go for a resort with some reasonably high altitude skiing.

A lot would depend on where your UK base is but I would look for flights at social hours with express check in and clearance.
Looking at the scrums at Geneva airport at the weekend Zurich or Innsbruck could be better bets. Alternatively if you can get the hotel accommodation midweek flights in and out of Geneva may be better.

Resorts that I might consider at this time of year that are at reasonable altitude with some night life are.
Verbier Chamonix St Anton Ischgl or possibly Lech/ Oberlech or Davos bearing in mind I am not a nightlife afficianado.

Oh and very best of luck and hope you all have a fabulous holiday wherever you go.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The flight to Innsbruck is 20mins longer than Geneva.
You could land at Innsbruck & be in St Anton within about 2 hours or just over if you take the bus/train instead.
snow report
An interesting set of requirements. The easy flight, plus wanting somewhere it is possible to get a "bail-out" flight from if necessary, would rather suggest somewhere near Geneva. (But worth researching flights from your nearest airport in the UK to Innsbruck or Salzburg).

An Easter trip does mean you need to be reasonably high to be sure of conditions. Combined with wanting a short transfer it is Avoriaz or Flaine.

And then accommodation. It needs to be catered, and these days catered chalets are few and far between. So easiest a hotel, you are going to need local knowledge for that. If you use a private transfer from the airport, your sons will have the booked transport back should you need to leave earlier (you would stand a reasonable chance of booking another transfer at short notice if need be, it is presumably likely to be mid-week and you would be able to phone round multiple providers).

Good luck, it really sounds like something important to aim for. Once you have decided on the resort there may be members of the forum with local knowledge to make suggestions about the practicalities of different hotel possibilities.
latest report
Wow! Thank you all so much for your kindness (and your no fuss), really appreciated.

In answer to your specific questions, I prefer a slightly longer flight and shorter transfer - obviously private transfers are normally easier as they are quicker! In an ideal world, I’d lay flat out the whole way and have done in a car all the way to the Alps twice but it’s too bad to do that nowadays. We are based one hour or so from Luton, Stansted and Birmingham airports. Stairs aren’t a problem - that’s what bottoms are for!! Only way to get on/off flights these days else you could be sitting on a runway for hours - it’s if they lose the wheelchair (normally UK airports are worst) then you’ve got real problems! Largely I just need to get to the resort as quickly as possible as I can’t move at all well once I’m sat for about half hour. I then use my crutches for short distances anyway. I learnt to sit ski years ago but found it easier skiing on one leg with my crutches over my shoulder then just used them in lift queues, sadly I’ve become a lot more poorly since.

Honestly I can’t get over everyone’s kindness and support to try and help me achieve what this morning felt like “totally impossible” and I felt a bit of a fool even asking. In my younger years I have skied many of these resorts you suggest - St Anton was always my favourite but been to Chamonix a few times and of course Meribel although wasn’t a fan of the La Plagne area. Loved Lechs/Zurs and had an incredible holiday once at Kirchberg and the boys learnt to ski in Sainte Foy - you can tell how much I loved my skiing hence my boys became such fab skiers - for them the more jumps/tricks/crazy stuff the better! In terms of apres all we really need is a friendly bar or two, nothing manic, just so the boys have somewhere to go when I’ve gone to bed!

Thank you so much everyone x
snow conditions
I think you'd probably have a better choice of nice hotels in Austria or Switzerland than in France.
snow conditions
I've no idea the costs but could a private flight be an option straight into Courcheval?
latest report
dazzle109 wrote:
I've no idea the costs but could a private flight be an option straight into Courcheval?

I believe you can no longer clear customs at Courcheval so not an option.
snow report
You could maybe get a helicopter transfer (10 seconds on Google gave me GVA to Tignes from £2k each way for four at helicopter4u.com)?
snow conditions
porkpiefox wrote:
Avoriaz is a good option in terms of flight length and transfer time and the Amara Apartments are very nice (got a spa there too). Pretty simple to walk to the restaurants at the top end of town too, which are obviously easy for them to ski to for lunch, as it's ski-in, ski-out.

Seconding this. It is ski-in/ski-out and you can get private transfer (Skiidy Gonzalez would be my recommendation) directly to their own car park beneath the apartments - merely a lift straight up to reception. Avoriaz has a good snow park for tricks for the boys too. You can also get horse-drawn carts around Avoriaz, which the apartments reception will be able to sort out for you, should you want to easily get to the other side of the resort for any reason. There's a couple of nice restaurants right outside the apartments too. Good apres.
ski holidays
LucillaP wrote:
In answer to your specific questions, I prefer a slightly longer flight and shorter transfer - obviously private transfers are normally easier as they are quicker! In an ideal world, I’d lay flat out the whole way and have done in a car all the way to the Alps twice but it’s too bad to do that nowadays. We are based one hour or so from Luton, Stansted and Birmingham airports. Stairs aren’t a problem - that’s what bottoms are for!! Only way to get on/off flights these days else you could be sitting on a runway for hours - it’s if they lose the wheelchair (normally UK airports are worst) then you’ve got real problems! Largely I just need to get to the resort as quickly as possible as I can’t move at all well once I’m sat for about half hour. I then use my crutches for short distances anyway. I learnt to sit ski years ago but found it easier skiing on one leg with my crutches over my shoulder then just used them in lift queues, sadly I’ve become a lot more poorly since.

That gives a bit more context. It might be worth having a look at the logistics of taking the train. You're never obliged to stay sitting in one place in the way that you are in a plane and if you pick carefully can end up with a very short transfer to resort. For e.g., Val Thorens is about 45mins drive from Moutiers. I'm not sure if the wheelchair you refer to is yours or the airport's, but one advantage of the train is that you keep your belongings with you.

OTOH, in your position, I'd be very tempted to pick a resort you already know and love.
snow report
Given you liked Lech so much why not go back? Lots of flights into Zürich (a much nicer airport than Geneva, well setup for anyone with mobility issues, the have special vehicles to get those passengers on & off airplanes without using stairs, I doubt the SWwiss would be losing wheel chairs!) the transfers to the Arlberg are easy not too far especially if you have the budget to pay for a private transfer. As you clearly know St Anton & Lech have a claim to be the best resorts in the alps both for the skiing and the partying ideal for your boys. If it were me <i could not think of a beeter place for a last ski trip.
snow report
Fly into Innsbruck and then private transfer to Mayrhofen? Just under an hour.

Mayrhofen is relatively easy to get around and there are some decent hotel (with wellness spas etc) options near the lift station. I’d be surprised if accessing the main lift (Penkenbahn) with a wheelchair and/or sit ski would be a problem. There are also restaurant options in the immediate vicinity of the mountain lift station.

Plenty of easy access town restaurants and bars….Mo’s for example. Plenty of life for “the boys” once you’ve toddled off to bed.

Good luck snowHead Very Happy
snow report
rambotion wrote:
@LucillaP, IMO you get a better choice of resorts with short transfer times from Innsbruck, 1 hour 20 minutes roughly to either Ischgl or St Anton. Late season Iscgl is probably one of the best resorts in the alps

Ischgl came to my mind as well
Gondolas and moving walkways from the town
We have stayed here in the past nice food and elevator to moving walkway (no pool but saunas ect)
https://www.jaegerhof-ischgl.at/de/der-jaegerhof/willkommen/index.html
Its away from the main street which can be a bit noisy but can be accessed by the moving walkway.
Great skiing, some of the nightlife is a bit raucous / tacky but easy to avoid
There are some fancier places at the bottom of the slops
We went with Inghams but its not a long drive or you can get private transfers.
snow report
Hi

So just as a little update, Ischgl seems the favourite in terms of our needs. I’m in contact with Fraser Wilkin who one of you also very kindly suggested. Fingers and toes crossed we can make this work! Now just to find the right accommodation for me and the moving walkways will give me a few more options.

Thanks again everyone, really appreciated
Lucilla
ski holidays
@LucillaP, I'm going to suggest a variation. The Central Family Hotel here in Flachau would seem to fit your requirements. Super location, 50 min transfer from Salzburg and a proper Village to stay in. The skiing is extensive if you go for the Ski Amade Pass plus lots of non-skiing activities if it gets too much. Nice weather and with 50% of the runs North facing, no real issues with the altitude either. For the boys, the Absolute Park at Flachauwinkel will keep them entertained. The teenagers also ski free after 18 Mar 23. Worth a look at their website: https://www.central-flachau.com/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thank you for your email. I did have a look but unfortunately as I understand it you can’t get access from accommodation straight to the slopes - you have to take buses or longish walk so this really wouldn’t work for me. Love the short transfer time though! Thanks anyway
snow report
Being Swiss, I quickly checked Geneva and Zurich (Friedrichhafen has mainly charter and some easyjet flights) plus a 2-hour range for taxi rides. I also factored in these aspects: Runs to the village for lunch meetings; will be stripes of man-made snow in spring, so should not be too steep or narrow and icy. Resorts should offer panoramic views from a hotel balcony, some nice options for short walks, frequent local busses, maybe some alternative activities (wellness, short flat walks, horse sledges, ...). Good spring skiing should be guaranteed, and a sunny climate would be good.
So my suggestions from Zurich are Davos and Lenzerheide.
Davos is the biggest town (a Swiss 'city' with >10'000 inhabitants) with a lot of offers other than skiing, two open mountains with great spring skiing. Runs to the village are black or on forest trails, but you can always take the 4-minute ride down by gondola or tram.
Lenzerheide is a smaller place (actually, four places, but with frequent and easy bus connections), less lifely, cosy feel, offers great skiing on both sides of the valley and into Arosa. Maybe best, wide, not so steep slopes below the tree-line for 'the odd hour' on the north-facing slopes of the valley.
The suggestions from Geneva are Verbier or Crans-Montana.
Verbier is upscale, with many chalets and a small village center, nice panorama from most places due to the sunny south-west facing slope, great for spring après. Vast skiing for experts, maybe even too vast for lunch meetings every day. Only quite steep trails from the main mountain to the village, if the south-facing mountain is already closed.
Crans-Montana has the sunniest climate, sits on a nice plateau, with stunning views south accross the valley, and one great ski area with many connected lifts. Not a great village wrt traditional Alpine architecture.
ski holidays
@LucillaP, I can’t add anything but wanted to wish you and your family an awesome trip x
snow conditions
Whakapapa! wrote:
Being Swiss,

Crans-Montana has the sunniest climate, sits on a nice plateau, with stunning views south accross the valley, and one great ski area with many connected lifts. Not a great village wrt traditional Alpine architecture.

Yes, Crans is nice and sunny as its south facing, thus could be a bit hit and miss in April, so beware skiing there that late.

Whakapapa sounds more kiwi than Swiss?
latest report
@Whakapapa!, much as I have enjoyed Davos I am not sure it would meet this particular set of requirements. The run into town from Parsenn is likely to be in a poor state in April, and I am not sure that there is anywhere to stay right at the foot of Jacobshorn.

Somewhat similarly with Lenzerheide, not sure if the lower slopes will be good then. The request is for direct access from the hotel to the ski lift and straightforward piste - for very good reason. But someone who has skiied there in April could advise, it might be feasible somewhere around Valbella.
snow report
I guess it will be a trade-off game between nice place to be & great spring skiing conditions & a large ski area & easy ski-in/ski-out/ lift access & a close-by airport with frequent flights to London.
Riederalp is a car-free gem, but probably too far from Geneva, Andermatt is not particularly sunny and the topography a bit special, Saas Fee is also far with difficult access, Portes du Soleil resorts are rather low-lying or have more difficult access (Avoriaz?), Laax has good spring snow higher up https://www.flimslaax.com/oeffnungszeiten-tickets and some people may like https://www.rocksresort.com/. Ischgl is in a rather cramped valley and quite far from a bigger airport, but might fit other criteria very well.

Davos
Parsenn and Jakobshorn are both safe places to ski in April. Hotel Seehof Davos is a few meters from Parsennbahn.
All runs into any resort can be 'in poor state' in April, and I would not recommend the Höhenweg piste for you anyways, but the alternative is a four-minute funicular ride down from Höhenweg. That's how some of our group usually do it.

Lenzerheide-Arosa
Some runs on Danis-Scalottas were also open until Easter in recent years but yes, this might change:
https://arosalenzerheide.swiss/en/Ski-Area/Lift-Company/Operating-hours-winter#season
Tschuggen Hotel in Arosa has its own wonderful lift access with a price tag, and yes, Lenzerheide would need a hotel shuttle for starting or ending the day.

Crans-Montana
They have hefty snow-making to keep at least one run into town open until Easter, if not, the gondola ride down is nice as well.
shorturl.at/klq37
Hotel shuttles required, I guess.
Conditions at higher elevations are typically perfect until late spring, but yes, some lifts may be closed.
https://whiterisk.ch/de/snow/station/BEOB/4MO0?returnMeasurementParameter=HEIGHT_NEW_SNOW_1D
https://whiterisk.ch/de/snow/station/IMIS/VDS2
snow conditions
Whakapapa! wrote:

Lenzerheide-Arosa
Some runs on Danis-Scalottas were also open until Easter in recent years but yes, this might change:
https://arosalenzerheide.swiss/en/Ski-Area/Lift-Company/Operating-hours-winter#season
Tschuggen Hotel in Arosa has its own wonderful lift access with a price tag, and yes, Lenzerheide would need a hotel shuttle for starting or ending the day.

It will be pricey, but if money no object then the Tschuggen would be ideal - it has a private little bubble railway straight out of the hotel up to the main Arosa ski area. Its only a couple of hours drive from Zurich Airport. the last bit of road up from Chur is a bit twisty, or you could train to Chur and catch the little mountain railway up to Arosa and the Tschuggan will collect you from the station.

Even before venturing to Lenzerheide, Arosa has a decent ski area open to end of Easter hols.
snow report
That Tschuggen place sounds perfect if the budget is large enough, love the idea of the private funicular though I couldn't see anything showing where it connects into the pistes. Is there a cafe at the top for @LucillaP to watch the skiing world go by when she isn't venturing herself?

The transfer might be a bit of a challenge, since from Zurich airport you need to change trains at Zurich Hbf and then at Chur. But the final stretch on the mountain railway to Arosa is spectacular, you need to be sure to do it in daylight. (In fact, even going for a private transfer I would be tempted to take it just to Chur and then do the final stretch on the train, it would all be part of a truly memorable trip).
ski holidays
@LucillaP, I appreciate that you are being suggested almost every resort in the Alps, but let me throw another one into the pot!
Obertauern.
One of the longest ski seasons for a non-glacial resort and only about an hour private transfer from Salzburg
Many of the hotels are ski in/out.
We stayed at the hotel Schneider and would thoroughly recommend that. www.schneider.at
snow conditions
While I believe this may be at a pricepoint that is beyond what may be considerable for you - there are scheduled semi-private flights from London (Farnborough) to Sion (Switzerland) - this gets you much closer to a number of swiss alp resorts than Geneva manages to, and also avoids even if flying business, the hassle of navigating an airport and the time added on both ends of the flight.

The operator aero have been running scheduled services in the US for a while now, so they are legit. Details are here - this may work a treat: https://aero.com/destinations/eu/sion

snow report
@LucillaP, The hotel Edelweiss & Gurgl in Obergurgl is right next to the ski lifts. Obergurgl is a high resort with a short transfer from Innsbruck and pretty good pistes
snow report
Whakapapa! wrote:
Portes du Soleil resorts are rather low-lying or have more difficult access (Avoriaz?)

Sounds like the OP is sorted, which is good to hear.

Just wanted to pick up on this quickly though, I suggested the Amara Apartments as they are very easy to access. You can get a transfer straight into the underground car park, with lift access to the reception and all accommodation. The apartments themselves back on to the jump park and there are restaurants at the apartments or close by (even if you need to use a horse taxi to get there for mobility reasons), so it's a really good set up for that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy