Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone get away with paying TUI ski carriage??

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so I've just booked flight only to Innsbruck via Tui website but there wasn't an option to add ski carriage. I know I can ring up and add it but has anyone just rocked up with their sticks at the airport and checked them in for free?. I was a resort manager for many years and I remember guests getting away with it but procedures might have changed?
I might even rent when I'm there if its only a little more than the carriage cost. Thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think there is almost no chance of getting them on for free.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've seen it happen many times Eh oh!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hugh-Jorgen wrote:

Give it a shot and tell us how you get on. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll wait for the replies first Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hugh-Jorgen, if you know you can do it then why ask?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never known it happen, but never tried it to be honest. Whenever I’ve checked in with TO flights at the airport in the past they’ve seemed to have a good grip on how many sets of skis we’ve had booked in our group, even going back a good twenty years. But I haven’t been with a TO and/or associated airline since 2016, and before that probably 2012, so who knows. Certainly flights with carriers have been closely monitored on what I’m checking in. But like I say, I’ve never chanced it and personally would take the risk for a few quid.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also, I’m not sure what being an RM gives you in terms of true insight. I was a rep then an RM in France 10-15 years ago for a UK tour op, and while I got a passenger manifest for my coach load(s), it never had details on what luggage/ski carriage passengers had. Perhaps the OP was different or heard anecdotal tales of free ski carriage, but in my experience over two winter seasons it was absolutely not something that got communicated, resort staff were separate to the airline even if the companies tended to fall under the same umbrella and it was a package deal.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dav wrote:
Whenever I’ve checked in with TO flights at the airport in the past they’ve seemed to have a good grip on how many sets of skis we’ve had booked in our group, even going back a good twenty years. But I haven’t been with a TO and/or associated airline since 2016, and before that probably 2012, so who knows. Certainly flights with carriers have been closely monitored on what I’m checking in.

That has been my experience. Here is what Crystal now say - and they make it very clear that payment is per set of skis, not per bag.....which gets you certain benefits if they don't arrive.

Carriage of skis/snowboards and boots by air

With a growing number of skiers and snowboarders taking their own equipment on holiday, charter airlines are finding it increasingly difficult to cope with the extra weight and handling of these items. This has increased the risk of luggage being off-loaded from aircraft. In common with all other major winter sports operators, we have therefore introduced a system to improve the reliability of ski/snowboard carriage as a paid for service. Ski carriage can be purchased per set of skis or snowboard and not per bag, with a maximum weight limit of 15kg. If you're planning to take two sets of skis or two snowboards in one bag, you must purchase two ski carriage extras, however the total weight must not exceed 23kg.

If you wish to have skis or snowboards added to your booking, these must be added at the time of booking. For any reason, should your carriage fail to arrive on your flight, the charge will be refunded and skis forwarded to you in resort free of charge. We will also arrange hire for you until your skis arrive. For each pair of skis/board that you have paid carriage for and that does not arrive, you will receive hire for 1 set of skis and/or snowboard. If you do not pre-book your skis/board carriage, there is no guarantee that they will be carried, but if accepted, a minimum £50 charge will be levied at the check-in desk by an appointed rep. This charge does not apply to scheduled airlines, unless operating as a charter, where ski equipment may be included in the total baggage allowance and additional charges may be levied if this is exceeded. Please note ski/snowboard boots contribute to the overall luggage allowance and must be checked in as hold luggage.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are you sure it is a tui flight? Crystal use easyjet at times
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To everyone who's given me a valid response, thank you. I've only ever seen it happen nearly 15 years ago which is why I'm asking if anyone has tried it recently. I'll assume the answer is no from evrryones response.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A simple no would suffice Eh oh!

Dav wrote:
Also, I’m not sure what being an RM gives you in terms of true insight. I was a rep then an RM in France 10-15 years ago for a UK tour op, and while I got a passenger manifest for my coach load(s), it never had details on what luggage/ski carriage passengers had. Perhaps the OP was different or heard anecdotal tales of free ski carriage, but in my experience over two winter seasons it was absolutely not something that got communicated, resort staff were separate to the airline even if the companies tended to fall under the same umbrella and it was a package deal.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Because it was 15 years ago.

ster wrote:
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, sorry for providing extra info that might be useful wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dav wrote:
Ok, sorry for providing extra info that might be useful wink

Yeah down with that sort of thing rolling eyes
ski holidays
There are all sorts of tales out there - some are even true, such as the BA Exec Card holder who knew that he had free ski carriage on BA. Unfortunately our charter was not a BA Scheduled flight!
ski holidays
ster wrote:

As he says things may have changed since he was a lad....
snow conditions
Nemisis wrote:
There are all sorts of tales out there - some are even true, such as the BA Exec Card holder who knew that he had free ski carriage on BA. Unfortunately our charter was not a BA Scheduled flight!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Gored wrote:
Are you sure it is a tui flight? Crystal use easyjet at times
and Jet2.
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
ster wrote:

As he says things may have changed since he was a lad....

Then listen to the answers rather than this?

Old Fartbag wrote:
I think there is almost no chance of getting them on for free.

Hugh-Jorgen wrote:
ski holidays
I sat at Southampton Airport with friends met there by accident, awaiting flight to Chambery. They both had skis, and had booked them, but had been warned that carriage was not a foregone conclusion because of the type of aircraft and they might have to leave them. They were worried about leaving them (having travelled to the airport by train). It was an anxious hour or so. Why take that risk for the small financial difference between paying for ski carriage and servicing and renting in resort?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Why take that risk for the small financial difference between paying for ski carriage and servicing and renting in resort?

In 40 years of bringing skis, I have never been told they would have to be left behind.

The closest I came, was the first flight of the season out of Gatwick with Crystal, where on arrival we discovered that half the luggage and skis had been left behind due to the size of the aircraft being too small. There had been a huge dump of snow in the week prior, which I think caused a sudden rush of last minute bookings of people who mostly owned their own skis. The luggage appeared by 7am the next day.
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
pam w wrote:
Why take that risk for the small financial difference between paying for ski carriage and servicing and renting in resort?

In 40 years of bringing skis, I have never been told they would have to be left behind.

Never been told they are being left.
That's kept as a surprise for when your are at luggage reclaim Sad
Have went back to hiring ski's just much less faf overall
latest report
@pam w,
SOU-CMF sounds like FlyBe. Their Dash8 with a small luggage compartment would often bulk out which meant that skis would either get the slightly later Embraer to CMF or go to GVA or.....
We (the TO) had to pay for skis locally until whichever happened, but AFAIR, those skis always got to their owners, even if it was inconveniently late.
BUT prebooked skis that missed the flight nearly always got to resort either later the same day or possibly the next day.
snow conditions
@Garfield, Monarch (bless them) would phone me after takeoff if skis had been left behind, tell me the plan for their travel and follow up with an email with names so that we could find the pax in bagage claim.
latest report
I was sitting on a plane at Amsterdam airport just about ready to taxi when a baggage wagon turned up, opened up the luggage hatch and started offloading our ski bags and replaced them with large polystyrene boxes, with "live fish" labels, on. Despite my protestations, the plane left without out gear. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
JimboS wrote:
I was sitting on a plane at Amsterdam airport just about ready to taxi when a baggage wagon turned up, opened up the luggage hatch and started offloading our ski bags and replaced them with large polystyrene boxes, with "live fish" labels, on. Despite my protestations, the plane left without out gear. Evil or Very Mad

That sounds like a fishy tale to me! Embarassed

It's very funny, provided it happens to somebody else. Toofy Grin
snow report
nemisis Jet2 was our ski leaver of choice. rolling eyes
I was told at one point it was a particular issue at Edinburgh as they were the planes they converted for cargo at night. (this could be old wife's tail).
It was not something to loose sleep over and they always turned up at some point.
There was usually someone having a hissy fit as they had extra gear in their ski bags though.
Lat occasion it happened was Austrian air
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Garfield, yes, some of Jet2's early 737's were cargo convertible with a bespoke floor in the cabin area. There were sufficiently heavier, empty, that they didn't normally fly into CMF on days other than very good weather. If the weather went downhill then they diverted which made life "difficult".
ski holidays
I am hiring skis and taking boots packed in my luggage as, if I am reading correctly, you can only take boots as hand luggage if you pay for ski carriage. Jet2.
snow report
BA surprisingly helpful with their baggage policy as most sports equipment is treated as normal checked baggage allowance (that you have to pay for). Most airlines now charge for carry ons as well as checked baggage so would be highly unlikely to show up with an extra bag and get it on. Regardless of a charter or not. We used to chance it 15+ years ago all the time and was hit and miss if got asked to pay or not - that was normally on some sort of package. It probably averaged out over time as the at airport price was a bit more expensive than the pre-book from memory.

Crystal policy is interesting - how will they know if you have more than 1 set of skis in a bag. I can't see most check in staff asking you to open your bag up!

BA policy
You can take skiing or snowboarding equipment as part of your checked baggage so long as the bag is within 190 x 75 x 65cm.

You don't need to let us know in advance that you are bringing a snow sports bag but, as these larger bags need individual handling, please get to the airport and check it in at least 90 minutes before your flight departs.
snow report
I just assumed that if ski carriage wasn't an option for a specific flight when booking with TO that it had already sold out for that flight.

Have previously changed plans to find flights with ski carriage before as had a few crappy experiences renting through TOs.
snow report
I just don’t get this. It is clear that the airline you have chosen to fly with charges for ski carriage. That is what you signed up for. If you wanted to avoid ski carriage you could choose an airline that does not charge for it.
latest report
@zikomo, I suspect that some of it might be to try and save money........
ski holidays
Suspect that 15+ years ago the check in staff had a lot more leniency than today. Can't see it happening at all.
ski holidays
@zikomo
It is clear that the airline I chose usually charge for ski carriage, it becomes ambiguous when they don't give you the option to add ski carriage on at the booking stage and then the small print says you must ring up at least 2 months before travel when I travel in less than a month. I rang them up and added carriage for £50 just in case. As someone mentioned before I reckon you'd get away with putting 2 pairs in the same bag as long as you were under the weight limit.
snow conditions
@ MCL apparently not, I wasnt given the online option at the time of booking but rang up and it was added on no problem.
ski holidays
@Hugh-Jorgen, ok sorry I did try to read your original post carefully. You mentioned that you know you can ring up and add ski carriage, but wanted to know if anyone had got away with turning up with skis and checking them in for free. Did I misunderstand your question? And I don’t see any ambiguity because the terms you read at time of booking say you should ring up at least 2 months before booking, it is still clear that if you want to take skis you have to ring up and book (and space may or may not be available).
ski holidays
Quote:
With a growing number of skiers and snowboarders taking their own equipment on holiday, charter airlines are finding it increasingly difficult to cope with the extra weight and handling of these items. This has increased the risk of luggage being off-loaded from aircraft
They really do have a field day writing this rubbish! As though flights to ski destinations aren't expecting to take skis...How does paying to take skis suddenly make it easier for them to cope and not offload skis? They could equally say it's free, but need to be notified in advance.

It puts me in mind of footballers signing for a new club...
What they say: Barnstoneworth are a massive club. Once I heard they were interested, there was only one place I wanted to be.
What they mean: Barnstoneworth are doubling my current wages. I'd be an absolute fool not to sign.

What airlines mean: We're not a charity, we want to maximise income. We know we can screw passengers for any additional charges we like and, like it or lump it, skis come into that category wink
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:

What airlines mean: We're not a charity, we want to maximise income. We know we can screw passengers for any additional charges we like and, like it or lump it, skis come into that category wink

I detect something of a have-your-cake-and-eat-it attitude from some travellers. Cheap flights, which we take for granted these days, are cheap simply because they're removed all the additional costs, like assuming that everyone has bags to check in and wants an in-flight meal. Even if you have to pay extra for the things you need you're still paying much less than you would have done twenty years ago.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy