Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What temperature is too cold for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
abc wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Interesting long form spam.

But he’s not selling anything, is he?

(Didn’t the read it in detail. So may have missed it)

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91365&start=3280#5042879
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In 2011/12 season in Avoriaz we went out in -25. Lasted 1 hour but it was so beautiful, like being inside a snow globe as the air twinkled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, windchill doesn't really apply if you are properly insulated. Exposed skin obvs an issue.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just watched the Racing Yachts coming back in from their aptly named frostbite series - the crews all looked very wrapped up but very very cold. Its 4c here goodness knows what the windchill is out on the Solent.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
-17 but windy as hell skiing in Finland was my limit Eh oh!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, windchill doesn't really apply if you are properly insulated. Exposed skin obvs an issue.

If it's blowing a gale and you are sitting on a long, uncovered chairlift (especially if it stops), it can be an issue (as in losing heat)....as one usually has enough layers to be comfortable while exerting yourself.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, that’s just cold ambient …
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, that’s just cold ambient …

Yes, I think that's right - as Wind Chill really only applies to unprotected skin.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Old Fartbag, that’s my opinion
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Remember that if you're breathing in exceptionally cold air into your lungs then depending on your physiology, there may be a limit to how long you can do that before it has an effect. I found this to be the case skiing and on open chairlifts in 'only' -17°C - the weather was clear and bright and my outer layers were getting a lot of solar heat gain. But when I went into a café it hit me like a brick wall: I felt as if there was a big block of ice in my chest and could barely breathe. It took 40 minutes and three hot chocolates to get back to normal. No doubt a medic could explain the effect but it was a real shock and the only time I've felt seriously unwell while skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2016 Three quarters of the way up Asahi-dake on Hokkiado

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our first family attempt at skiing was last year in Levi in Finland in January. -27 celcius was bone chilling. Though once you kept moving and covered everywhere it was bearable. I could do about 3 hours, the kids about 2 before heading to a Koti hut to sit around a fire and drink hot chocolate until sufficient warmth returned to the core.

I do remember one bubble chair lift at one point that the base station was -15 and reasonable, but the top one was -20 and blowing a stink and the difference in feel was unbelievable. The wind really added to the feeling of cold. We decided that any more goes on that run were strictly for non-windy days.

In a way the drag lifts were preferable as you were still doing a little of something to keep warm, as opposed to sitting freezing on the chairs.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Coldest I've experienced was Winter Park a few years ago, apparently when the combined wind and temps reach -40 degrees the lift up to Parsenn Bowl closes. It was only open a couple of days whilst we were there and it wasn't that windy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had -35c in Northern Sweden last January, which was just about bearable. As it was, there was a temperature inversion so halfway up the hill it was a 'lovely' -10c up top. The drawback was skiing down to the bottom lift and hitting the wall of cold, which (on the small gap between my goggles and my faceshield) went from OK to unpleasant to painful in the space of about 10 seconds.
You know its too cold though when the Swedes shut the communal hot tub down, as they said its too cold Laughing
Thankfully, the free firepits helped to distract you from the bitterness of the temperature.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow wrote:
-30 C
Sunshine Mountain, Alberta, Canada
Was having to pole downhill because the wax was like sandpaper

Not fun

This, Sunshine in January can be bitter. I bought myself a new jacket and a thick fleece in the sales.
snow report
It isn't just the temperature! I first went skiing at Aviemore in the 1970's- not that cold by the termometer- but very very very cold- humidity and wind were horrendous.
ski holidays
ed123 wrote:
It isn't just the temperature! I first went skiing at Aviemore in the 1970's- not that cold by the termometer- but very very very cold-humidity and wind were horrendous.

This. -1C in the UK feels way colder than -10C in the Alps!
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
ed123 wrote:
It isn't just the temperature! I first went skiing at Aviemore in the 1970's- not that cold by the termometer- but very very very cold-humidity and wind were horrendous.

This. -1C in the UK feels way colder than -10C in the Alps!

Only because when you're in the Alps you're properly dressed for it. Sure, wind is a factor, as is humidity, but these are just as likely and variable here as they are there.

As for the original question, have skied once at -35C in Jasper, where the limiting factor was goggles icing up from even just the tiniest bit of moisture from breath. There was no wind and it was quite sunny, but we had to stop to defrost every half an hour or so. Thankfully the lodges there were great, with large heated areas open to the public without any need to be buying food or drinks, and even hand dryers to warm your gloves through.
snow conditions
I always think the ideal temp for skiing is between +5 and -5 degs (not including wind-chill).
In recent times, if it heads off anywhere close to -15 (or beyond) I would usually opt to go cross-country skiing on that day.
A) you obviously keep much warmer on x/c skis, and b) you're not swinging around on a chairlift which can be the worst aspect of skiing in super-cold weather.
snow report
So, basically, if you are appropriately kitted out, there’s no temperature too cold.
snow conditions
There is no specific temperature that is "too cold" for skiing, as everyone has their own tolerance for cold weather. Some people may be comfortable skiing in very cold temperatures, while others may find even mild cold weather to be unpleasant.

In general, the temperature on the ski slopes is often much colder than the temperature at the base of the mountain, due to the windchill factor and the higher altitude. The windchill factor is the amount of heat that is lost from the body due to the effects of wind, and it can make the temperature feel much colder than it actually is. For example, if the temperature at the base of the mountain is 20 degrees Fahrenheit (-7 degrees Celsius) and the wind is blowing at 20 miles per hour, the windchill temperature on the ski slopes could be as low as -6 degrees Fahrenheit (-21 degrees Celsius).

It's important to dress appropriately for the cold weather when skiing or snowboarding, to avoid getting too cold or uncomfortable. This means wearing layers of clothing that can be adjusted as needed, to provide the right amount of warmth and insulation. It's also a good idea to wear a hat, gloves, and a neck gaiter or scarf to cover exposed skin and protect against the wind.

In addition to dressing properly, it's also important to stay hydrated and to take regular breaks to warm up and avoid getting too cold. If you start to feel cold or uncomfortable, it's better to take a break and warm up than to push yourself to continue skiing or snowboarding in extremely cold temperatures. By taking these precautions, you can help to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable experience on the ski slopes, no matter how cold the weather may be.
snow report
@davidof, are we fully into cut and paste mode? Puzzled

PS Windchill is a bit if an odd thing to worry about if you are fully covered /windproof and well insulated ... just my view... but as illustration, windchill not normally an issue indoors ... just sayin'

wink wink
latest report
did a sled night trip to a camp out in Pemberton, blowing hard and just with wind chill it must have been way down -30C...at speed probably less, sat static for just over an hour, first time i haven't wanted to kane it on a skiddy, we all had to rotate sleds as one had lost heating in the handles ...honestly sod that for a game of soldiers. Spanish guy on another sled left a gap below goggles and mask and over the following few days we watched his cheeks turn black and fall off. POW was the lightest blower of dreams for the next couple of days though.
ski holidays
did a sled night trip to a camp out in Pemberton, blowing hard and just with wind chill it must have been way down -30C...at speed probably less, sat static for just over an hour, first time i haven't wanted to kane it on a skiddy, we all had to rotate sleds as one had lost heating in the handles ...honestly sod that for a game of soldiers. Spanish guy on another sled left a gap below goggles and mask and over the following few days we watched his cheeks turn black and fall off. POW was the lightest blower of dreams for the next couple of days though.
latest report
When you close your eyes and they try to freeze shut.
ski holidays
As @davidof said
Quote:

There is no specific temperature that is "too cold" for skiing, as everyone has their own tolerance for cold weather. Some people may be comfortable skiing in very cold temperatures, while others may find even mild cold weather to be unpleasant.

It's not just
Quote:

if you are appropriately kitted out

A few years ago, on Snowheads, there was a debate about whether/when the hoods should be put down on chairlifts. Same argument was put out then BUT it's a lot easier to cool down than it is to warm up
ski holidays
When you feel your contact lens' starting to freeze.
snow conditions
Read this old thread with interest -iSKI app has got temperatures in Canada as low as -41 Celsius and mid -30s day time temperatures - do resorts even open in these conditions as that’s ten degrees colder than my freezer?! Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ve skied in around -27c temperatures a few times. Encountered at the top of the Klein Matterhorn in Zermatt, top of Breckenridge and, strangely, also lower down in Jackson Hole when the bizarre temperature inversion kicked in.

I’m fairly cold tolerant so was feeling fine BUT the warning about exposed skin is not a joke. I managed to give myself proper frost-nip on the end of my nose … it went totally white and was without feeling and, the dangerous part, it happened so quickly and without pain that I didn’t notice. Fortunately, a friend did notice so I covered it up and was OK … excepting that the top layer of skin went black the next day or so and eventually sloughed off.

So, my view is that you can probably ski without issue down to around -30c with the right clothing but exposed skin is a no-no once you’re below -20c.
latest report
-38c in Big White...they closed the lifts as we were skiing down to get into the warm. Someone grabbed by hands and rubbed them to help as I couldn't get my fingers to work to buy a hot drink.
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, -30c in Stowe..my hands froze solid going up in a chairlift and I wanted to go to the loo when I got to the top .......
ski holidays
-34 in Fernie last year, they only opened the lower mountain for safety reasons. 3 of us skied ( me and 2x 10 year olds), but looking back we probably shouldn't have as a bad fall or getting stuck on a lift could have been fatal. They closed the mountain completely at -35.
snow report
Had a year in VT (2010 I think) where there was a day of -35, with the wind chill it was closer to -45 I think.

Made the mistake of going over to Orelle and that slow chairlift up the valley over there was hellish.

On the plus side we had the place to ourselves.
snow report
They’ve shut the lifts in Kvitfjell today (& I’m guessing other Norwegian resorts) due to the low temperatures. Just hoping it warms up a degree or two to nearer the usual minus degrees by the time we get there in a couple of weeks time.
ski holidays
Chuckles3 wrote:
They’ve shut the lifts in Kvitfjell today (& I’m guessing other Norwegian resorts) due to the low temperatures. Just hoping it warms up a degree or two to nearer the usual minus degrees by the time we get there in a couple of weeks time.

How cold is it?! I skied Roldal and Hovden in -30 and it was okay if you were properly covered up. The wind was quite painful on the face on drag lifts though...
snow report
-15C is properly cold. -20C is too cold!
ski holidays
Big issue when you get to about -12c skis start to get sticky.
I know you can change wax but that's usually not an option.
I've been skiing at -18 in the past no plans to do it again.
Alta Badia has some lovely open chairs that can be bone chilling on what seems like a warm day.
snow conditions
-40 windchill in VT over 10 years ago. Signs at lifts advising to watch friends faces for frostbite (grey/white patches). As a near beginner with inadequate clothing hands froze quickly. Friends helped by laughing & videoing me grimacing and wheeling arms around (later playing back repeatedly in chalet). Addicted to skiing ever since and now have better gear, though same friends. snowHead
snow report
Last year in January in Zermatt it was -19 or so on the mountain and they closed the lifts above Trockner Steg and the link to Cervinia as it was so cold to be dangerous. I was told it was -26 or so at the top. Skiing at that temperature I found decidedly not fun.

I have a photo of the temperature sign in the village showing -14 at around 9pm but I can't work out how to post the photos.
ski holidays
The kids learnt to ski 1993, coldest morning was -28c up the glacier, where there was snow. Warm up every 30 mins. Snow was great, but i would never go out above -20 now. The mrs probably 5 degrees warmer, despite her heated everything. A lot depends on your circulation
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy