Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Christoph

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been "volunteered" to organise a trip.

12-15 people, mixed ability. Lots of singles, only a couple of couples. European destination. Long weekend (Thurs eve to Mon eve). Resort selection and then accommodation selection are the first two items on my list.

The obvious choices are Val d'Isere, three valleys or PDS. But I've begun to wonder how easy it will be to find accom for that many, offerin twin or single rooms, close together, which doesn't cover a conventional transfer day to transfer day week (ideas welcome, if anyone has any).

My other idea was somewhere small close to somewhere big, which brought St Christoph to mind.

For anyone who has stayed there, some questions:

- is there any night life, or is it pretty dead?
- how much is a taxi to/from St Anton in the evening (either post apres or post closing time) and how easy are they to come by?

TIA
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's very quiet, taxi probably around £20-25€ for a 6/7 seater taxi, more after 7pm. You may struggle for a 4 night weekend trip, most places book full weeks and St C doesn't have much hotel space. I'd suggest somewhere like Chamonix for that type of trip?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
greg66 wrote:

The obvious choices are Val d'Isere, three valleys or PDS.

Just curious as to why those would be your obvious choices? Could help with people's suggestions.

Where would you be flying from? This might affect where you chose also
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@greg66, Suggest you look at somewhere like Davos - plenty of hotels who will take shorter duration bookings and transfer from Zurich by train.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Somewhere like Flims or Laax is pretty close to the airport for short transfer for the trip and may get weekend accommodation.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I mentioned the French trio by name purely because they are large, offer a good range of terrain and are easy to get to from Geneva.

It's likely that one London airport may not work for everyone, so flying into Geneva, which has plenty of flights from a variety of London airports would be a good starting point. Except that St Christoph would mean Innsbruck, which bugs up a Thurs night arrival - hey ho...

I will have a look at Davos/Flims/Laax.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@greg66, Davos is a fairly easy train journey from Zurich - about 2.5 hours. I suggest you look at hotels close to the Parsenn Bahn lift station (which is Davos Dorf part of town) as this will be the most convenient uplift for you. Plenty of terrain there for a week, let alone 3 days
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are keen on the Arlberg look at Pettneu, a much better option than St Christoph. It is as easy to get to the skiing as many of the places that say they are in St Anton itself, there are some bars etc in the village but also straight forward to get to St Anton (there is a night bus but taxis are not so expensive). Flights into Zürich are likely to be more available than Innsbruck and transfer direct to the centre of St Anton by train. Zürich is easy to get to from lots of airports, if London based then London City is good (shortest security queues in UK). As noted above there are a number of Swiss resorts within easy reach of Zürich too, far easier than Geneva to the various places in the Tarantaise, though PDS pretty nearby.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@greg66, also take a look at Montafon area, good access via train to Bludenz (and local taxi) from ZRH just over the border into Austria, and more reasonably priced than Swiss resorts - many Swiss people travel to AUT nowadays for skiing, it's cheaper. Also Ischgl a good option but again not great for weekend trips. Also agree re Davos (and similarly Verbier), both excellent ski areas, great fun and endless skiing and they are party towns but chuffin' expensive!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For those French areas, non standard-week accommodation with so many single rooms will be a challenge. Bit less of a challenge if you avoid the four week French school holidays ending 4 March.

You've not mentioned budget. If the sky's the limit one of the Swiss areas with good hotels might work.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy