Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Large group skiing in 3 valleys

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all

Firstly I want to say that this site is awesome as there were a lot of users who suggested that Saalbach is an ideal skiing location for a newbie and so we booked our ski holiday last year based off this advice and it was incredible.

We’re a group of 10 skiers looking for a holiday in early March to the 3 valleys in France and the group will be a mix of first and second time skiers.

Trying to find accommodation is giving me a slight headache due to the group size and I was wondering if anyone here had suggestions on who to contact / websites for accommodation and where we would be best off staying? We have the intention of trying to cover as much ground as possible.

Any advice would be really helpful.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chubuking, I’m really sorry but I really don’t think that the 3 valleys is an ideal ski area for a group of learners and second time skiers . I can understand a learner going if others in the group were experienced or intermediate’s . You will be paying a premium to ski in a huge area you won’t use . There are many more suitable ski resorts for your group . I’m sure many on this site would give you ideas . Apart from a resort with a good learning area and plenty of blues and green runs what else is on your wish list ? Great nightlife Andorra or a boom boom Austrian resort alike to Saalbach , if France is what you want perhaps La Rosiere , La Plagne , Les Arcs , Alp duez . There are some great and pretty Italian resorts that fit the bill .
Knowing the 3 valleys incredibly well I can’t recommend it’s the place for your requirements. Others may disagree .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The runs are also very busy .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with @Rob Mackley.

I would be looking at Les Arcs, La Plagne, Flaine, Mongenevre, Alpe D'Huez, Dolomites, Andorra.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rob Mackley, @Old Fartbag, you discourage them from going to a huge area like 3v, which consists of 3 distinct parts, and then recommend La Plagne/Les Arcs which are constituent parts of almost equally as huge Paradiski... Where is the logic?

A confident beginner can easily traverse all 3 valleys in a day using nothing but blues with a good lunch stop. I know because I have, as did my kids and my friends.

Meribel, Mottaret, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania are all good bases depending budget and other preferences. Courchevel if you can afford it.

And no, you don't have to buy a full 3v pass, only if/when you feel confident enough
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And if you plan on going to France, avoid the first week of March which is still French school hols and will be very busy. Ski school and accommodation costs - and sometimes lift passes too - will be cheaper after 5 March.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chubuking, take a look on airbnb or the like to see what accommodation is available. As long as you look to avoid French school holidays then early March should be relatively quiet. I went to Val Thorens as a second time skier and had a fantastic time - and took my kids to VT when they were second time skiers and again they loved it (so much so we went again the following year!). You can also choose to get just a Val Thorens pass (rather than a 3 vallees pass) as you won't venture out of that area in likelihood (over 150km in that local area alone). There's plenty of easy blues to keep you going, and lots of other blues to progress to as you get your ski legs. And it's all ski-in/out (which is what you need as tired skier!).And lots of great bars and apres if that's your sort of thing too.

Are there other places that are more appropriate, yes quite possibly (Grandvalira in Andorra is a blue skiing paradise for example!) but if you're keen on the 3 Valleys then personally I think VT is a great resort in March).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We managed to ski the whole of Saalbach including Zell am see with mostly blues and a few red runs. Would this not be enough to take on the 3 valleys?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chubuking, yes it would and skiing all 3v end to end is a great way to spend your days. You will hooked Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chubuking, yes 100% - if you're comfortable on the majority of blues, and have started tackling easy reds then it'll be an absolute paradise for you. It's always hard to get a gauge on where people are at in terms of ability. On one trip, my friends (who had only done a couple of trips before) and I skied from Val Thorens across to Courchevel and back without them having any issues at all.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oleski wrote:
@Rob Mackley, @Old Fartbag, you discourage them from going to a huge area like 3v, which consists of 3 distinct parts, and then recommend La Plagne/Les Arcs which are constituent parts of almost equally as huge Paradiski... Where is the logic?

A confident beginner can easily traverse all 3 valleys in a day using nothing but blues with a good lunch stop. I know because I have, as did my kids and my friends.

Meribel, Mottaret, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania are all good bases depending budget and other preferences. Courchevel if you can afford it.

And no, you don't have to buy a full 3v pass, only if/when you feel confident enough

The logic is to remain in either the Les Arcs or La Plagne area, for those who don't need the whole area. Each one is a self contained resort, only linked by the Vanoise Express.

If those in the OP's group have the option of avoiding the full 3V pass if necessary - then that is different.

The point of the logic, was that those who do not need to pay for an area that they won't be using, have the option of doing so.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was thinking about half the group who are beginners , better places to go
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow Retreat have 2 10 person chalets available in La Tania week beginning 11th March:

https://snowretreat.mychaletbooking.com/chalets/

(I've not stayed with Snow Retreat yet).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chubuking,
Quote:

Trying to find accommodation is giving me a slight headache due to the group size

What type of accommodation do you prefer? Apartment self catering? Hotel independently booked? Chalet independently booked? One of those 3 types as part of a TO package?

What does the group like doing when not skiing? Lively? Quiet? Non-skiing activities? etc

How cost sensitive is the group? 3V in early March is towards the higher end of the price scale in Europe. Does it matter?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We’re looking at a budget of about £1000 per person and likely some form of apartment. I’ve tried to look for a chalet but I don’t think there are any available (on air b n b anyway).

When we’re not skiing just simply Apres and nice bars / restaurants.
latest report
chubuking wrote:
We’re looking at a budget of about £1000 per person and likely some form of apartment.

Is that all in - or is ski pass, ski hire, lessons, food shopping and eating out/up the mountain all extra?
snow conditions
@chubuking, do you all have to be in the same apartment? You can get separate apartments in the same building.

Check out https://www.ski-planet.com/en/ - you can see how many apartments are left in the building/complex when you book with them
ski holidays
@chubuking,
Quote:

I’ve tried to look for a chalet but I don’t think there are any available (on air b n b anyway).

airbnb don't tend to have alpine chalets offered very much. Various agents do, eg

https://www.alpineanswers.co.uk/

https://www.chaletfinder.co.uk/

If you prefer your group to be in one property, a chalet gives you more chance than an apartment. If you're OK with the group being in different properties but adjacent, or very close by, then apartments become easier to find again.

Good advice from @pam w, travel mid March instead of first week of month. Your choice and value for money should improve dramatically. Better value bases for the 3V include La Tania, Courchevel Moriond 1650, Courchevel Village 1550, Les Menuires, Reberty. Lower altitude parts of Meribel maybe too.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
chubuking wrote:
We’re looking at a budget of about £1000 per person and likely some form of apartment.

Is that all in - or is ski pass, ski hire, lessons, food shopping and eating out/up the mountain all extra?

I echo that-is the £1000 intended to cover flights and transfers too? How close to the lifts do you want to be? How basic are you prepared to go with accommodation-is it 2 people per "grown up" bedroom, or are any of you up for a bunk room, a sofa bed or more than 2 sharing a room?

Courchevel 1650 (Moriond) would be great base, as would La Tania, though I would say the pistes above 1650 are far more extensive for beginners to build up confidence. Of all of the 3 valleys, the Courchevel valley is probably the one where an second week skier could comfortably get away with not buying a full 3 V pass and not feel they have missed out.
Take a look at local estate agents for rental options.

I can't not mention St Martin de Belleville, which is low key in terms of nightlife (a few nice restaurants and a handful of bars), but very charming. It's fair to say there are places that might be a bit more beginner friendly in terms of having a wider variety of piste options immediately above the village, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. There are some decent ski schools operating the the village.
Just looked on a local agent website (we've used them to rent from and they are pretty organised). I came up with this from 4th March: https://www.agencedesalpes.com/annonce/appartement-saint-martin-de-belleville-centre-saint-martin-de-belleville-chalet-letable-13023
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
chubuking wrote:

That’s for ski pass hire flights transfer and accommodation. Not including food or any lessons. Could stretch the budget if the chalet is nice enough.

We’re all mid to late twenties so we’re not too fussed if there are bunk beds etc.
snow report
I'd say that's a tight budget for the 3V in mid-March. I wouldn't think there was much chance of finding a catered chalet for that money. And add equipment hire as well as lessons? You mention "restaurants" but that's an expensive option in the 3V - though as mentioned, there are less expensive parts, and Courchevel 1650 is a reasonable option. But I think you have more chance of hitting your budget going somewhere like Val Cenis with Sunweb, and staying in a couple of apartments in close proximity with one another.

Don't underestimate the cost of transfers, which can be almost as much as flights. Or even more if you can find cheap flights.
snow report
Rob Mackley wrote:
The runs are also very busy .

Not necessarily so... It really depends where in the 3Vs you ski.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Snow Retreat have 2 10 person chalets available in La Tania week beginning 11th March:

https://snowretreat.mychaletbooking.com/chalets/

(I've not stayed with Snow Retreat yet).

This. Nothing better for a group than having a whole chalet to yourself with no randoms and £600 odd quid/head for half board is as good as you're going to get. Snow Retreat are middle market, strong reputation for the price and Andrea will look after you. Bit tight on the wine but you can always buy your own in the Sherpa.

La Tania's a pretty good base for the less experienced - a big new beginner's area with magic carpets to build confidence for the learners and easyish access (take the Boulevard, not Pic Bleu) to the Meribel Altiport area which is ideal for progression. Great après atmosphere in the Lodge with live music and some of the cheapest beer in the 3Vs. What's not to like?

LT is the kind of place that gets you hooked on the skiing lifestyle even with no other benchmark, plenty of other places are take it or leave it. It's not Saalbach but nowhere in France is. For expat Brits in the 3Vs, only C1650 is equivalent to LT but whilst C1650 probably has more low-level skiing on the doorstep, LT's a better base for exploring. Just do it.
snow report
I second what Raceplate is saying there both in terms of LT and on a chalet to yourselves for £600.
ski holidays
It looks excellent! Unfortunately we have already got our leave approved for the 4th-11thMarch! Will keep searching though
ski holidays
chubuking wrote:

That’s for ski pass hire flights transfer and accommodation. Not including food or any lessons. Could stretch the budget if the chalet is nice enough.

We’re all mid to late twenties so we’re not too fussed if there are bunk beds etc.

That could be tight in the 3V....and it's why I was suggesting not spending a fortune on a Liftpass.

A Full 3V Pass is about £310 (depending on exchange rate). Ski & Boot Hire around £110.....so that leaves about £580 for Flights/Transfers and Accommodation...which might just be doable in a couple of budget Apartments. Lessons/Food/Eating out/Spending, is likely to be more than you think.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 30-11-22 12:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@chubuking,
La Rosiere?
latest report
There are a couple of options looking on Sunweb which is a go to for cheap packages but they are nigh on 800 quid for just the accommodation and lift pass so doesn't leave scope for your flights and transfers. Peal Retreats also has a section for large accommodation so could be worth a trawl through that to the direct websites (their packages inc eurotunnel so won't be what you need)
https://www.peakretreats.co.uk/winter/holiday-types/accommodation/large-ski-accommodation
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chubuking, I know your heart seems set on the 3 valleys and you and some others rejected my sound advice for a group of 5 total beginners and the other 5 who a week under your belt but after seeing your budget and presuming that you are all fairly young I would really urge you to look at Andorra, skiing is good , lots of good beginner and intermediate slopes but more to the point its much much cheaper than the French alps on every level apres , accommodation, drinks , food and lively nightlife . Its great for a young crowd you could have a right blast !
snow report
Quote:

Peal Retreats also has a section for large accommodation so could be worth a trawl through that to the direct websites (their packages inc eurotunnel so won't be what you need)

Peak Retreats will knock off the Eurotunnel element if you don't need it. You can book accommodation only.
ski holidays
But their apartments are all pretty "high end", not budget.
ski holidays
Rob Mackley wrote:
@chubuking, I would really urge you to look at Andorra, skiing is good , lots of good beginner and intermediate slopes but more to the point its much much cheaper than the French alps on every level apres , accommodation, drinks , food and lively nightlife . Its great for a young crowd you could have a right blast !

Andorra's a good shout, the original home of 18-30 ski holidays! Certainly closer to Saalbach in vibe than anywhere in France except maybe Meribel/VDI/VT but those three are likely to be way out of the price range.
latest report
@chubuking, With a Group of 10, you should qualify for a Group Discount from the likes of Crystal - worth enquiring about.
latest report
Rob Mackley wrote:
@chubuking, I’m really sorry but I really don’t think that the 3 valleys is an ideal ski area for a group of learners and second time skiers . I can understand a learner going if others in the group were experienced or intermediate’s . You will be paying a premium to ski in a huge area you won’t use . There are many more suitable ski resorts for your group . I’m sure many on this site would give you ideas . Apart from a resort with a good learning area and plenty of blues and green runs what else is on your wish list ? Great nightlife Andorra or a boom boom Austrian resort alike to Saalbach , if France is what you want perhaps La Rosiere , La Plagne , Les Arcs , Alp duez . There are some great and pretty Italian resorts that fit the bill .
Knowing the 3 valleys incredibly well I can’t recommend it’s the place for your requirements. Others may disagree .

+1. The 3Vs are a mecca for mileage-hungry intermediate and advanced skiers and boarders. We go there year after year. But I would not want to pay a premium price to be stuck in a single valley without getting the amazing feeling of travel you get when you explore the whole area without any constraints.

I would definitely be looking at Ellmau, Alpbach or Obergurgl in Austria (or other Ski Amade resorts) or Les 2 Alpes, AdH, La Rosiere, Valmorel, Flaine and Les Gets in France.

Remember - you don't need miles and miles of pistes if you're a beginner. What matters is convenience, mountain restaurants / bars for the essential mid-morning coffee or hot chocolate break and plenty of green and blue runs to progress to.

Good luck.
snow report
People seemed to have missed the OP's statement "We have the intention of trying to cover as much ground as possible."

I went to Tignes and 3V the first couple of times I went skiing. I was young, fit and mad for it. Worked out fine.

I get there are cheaper places that would could still work very well but they wouldn't necessarily be that much cheaper and wouldn't necessarily be 'wasted' - for this group...
latest report
All fantastic suggestions, I do appreciate everyone’s input. I initially chose VT as the next destination simply from word of mouth from speaking to other skiers, but I will certainly consider other areas mention and I have already noticed somewhere like alp de heuz is quite affordable.

In actual fact, a bloke said to me I’ve done skiing the wrong way wrong as Saalbach is supposedly one of the best places you can go to in Europe.
latest report
chubuking wrote:
I will certainly consider other areas mention and I have already noticed somewhere like alp de heuz is quite affordable.

Alpe d’Huez is a great ski area for mixed ability groups. Easy sunny slopes just above the town to build confidence in the newbies. Terrain steepens as you advance up the mountain. Has a bit of a party reputation that would probably suit your twentysomethings group. The ski area is huge and has terrific variety. If you can fly in and out of Grenoble it’s a short transfer too.

ski holidays
If you want to cover miles without having to go straight onto red/blacks (and the Andorran reds on the gentler Pyrenean slopes are more like moderate Alpine blues), the Grandvalira in Andorra staying at Soldeu would be great- there is some nightlife, reasonable accommodation, loads of flights to Barcelona to keep prices competititive, not too low (with recent snowfall should now be opening most of the area) and a good interlinked lift system. It would be really easy for beginners and slightly experienced alike to use the plateau above the gondola as a meeting point and rendezvous.

ADH as above also a great suggestion- I went there with a friend who was a beginner and me being a v experienced skier and despite the gap was no problem at all- when we were skiing after his lessons it was easy to stay together due to the way the runs are set- often parallel runs (one red one blue) and I could ski further up with the more difficult runs and join him back in the bowl. Check the snow cover though- the lower areas are quite low and may need a bit more snow.
snow report
I would second ADH, went there twice as an early intermediate on “boys weeks” and enjoyed it. Whilst I can see what people say about the 3Vs I think it offers lots of variety, in fact my main critique is that the pistes are too well groomed and there are too many easy blues … the downside of which is that there are too many speedy idiots on them. One observation is that on boys (or girls) weeks consisting of singletons you are only paying for one so maybe the budget can be stretched a bit? Frankly if you are budgeting for £1,000, then why ruin the week for the sake of a couple of hundred quid Little Angel
latest report
@chubuking, It's quite late in the season to be booking something so specific. Snowheads in the know report that occupancy levels are high this year with all the post-covid pent up demand.

Perhaps widen the search from just the 3V, see what chalets you can find which are a) in budget and b) the right size for your party to fill, and then do a beauty parade between the various resorts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy