Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit bindings discussion ...

Poster: A snowHead
Bindings are the performance link between your boots and the skiis
... choose wisely, but how might you push limits, yet never sacrifice basic safety ?

(obviously tryin' to set up a discussion with the forums experts, as well as some learnin' for the n00bies)

So, what's good or not so good ... materials /quality or engineering /design ... pricing ... (???)
... with any dynafits that were ever gracing any of your boards / rails, eh ?

here's starting off with a template used for all Dynafit models ... except demo and radical models
btw, same template for G3 Onyx bindings

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0SnAf18fUXAWG9xeEt1dnFPcEE/edit?resourcekey=0-lI64GhBjaDL07HzwVWRZ-Q
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbunny21 wrote:
Bindings are the performance link between your boots and the skiis
... choose wisely, but how might you push limits, yet never sacrifice basic safety ?

So ... let the arguments start ... but I'll point out that binding brakes are ... definitely, unequivocably ... optional.

totally optional - unnecessary extra baggage, really

/edit in jpg/ with/without optional binding brake
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ATK. With brakes!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH wrote:
ATK. With brakes!

Nice choice of course ...
... now that I have some attention ... here's my situation ... not a conundrum, but in need of a solution.

My (prolly erroneous, so slam away snowheads) response is ...
no brakes, or bend brakes out (??)

skiis are a 93 mm waist ... clean, new last year model and no binding yet/ no re-drilling will be needed

Dynafit are 90mm - 105mm - 120mm brake widths available, some models have integrated brakes
ski manufacturer recommends a 93 - 103 brake width

but there is more ... these all-mountain skiis are now likely gonna be getting "binding inserts" ... bindings can be switched if used for touring,
(recommendation from dynafit to use binding inserts, bindings change out in 10 min. (? one ski .. or both in 10 min. haha)
touring bindings is a heavy Dynafit market I guess ... but then HAVE to be same manufacturer for resort use binding (or identical template at least if different binding manufacturer)

https://www.snowboardmaterials.com/index.php/materials/binding-inserts

to be continued
(coffee brewing, so gonna watch the snow on the outdoor table from last night and replays of Killington Slalom - first place tie)
(btw Suisse had at least four in the Slalom on Sunday ... Lara Gut-Behrami, Camille Rast, Andrea Ellenberger, and Simone Wild,
and France had a couple beside Tessa Worley ... Michelle Gisin and another I think)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
G3 ion - for the "bling" factor snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spark tech toes for the more enlightened/classier choice of vehicle

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ATK, no one else covers it as well
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geoffers wrote:
G3 ion - for
the "bling" factor snowHead ...

G3 ... eh ? nice ...
they also make this brake suggesting to remove it whenever going "brakeless" is preferred ...
then back in resort mode ... you could change to brake again ...
in four size widths 85mm 100mm 115mm and 130mm,
also helps ... it would be in my 93 - 103 ski's recommended range

Thanks for the lead ... @geoffers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
... and then again ... a 90mm binding brake gets recommended here for a 93 wide ski waist ... so, progress today rolling eyes

Quote:
- 90mm brake is ideal for skis 86 - 93mm underfoot

https://www.powder7.com/Atomic-Warden-MNC-11-Ski-Bindings/sale

Thanks for the leads and clues or any critiques from the forum experts ... new adventure for me with all-mountain skiis -
novice comments or questions welcomed too. We're all learnin' something maybe ...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowbunny21 wrote:

My (prolly erroneous, so slam away snowheads) response is ...
no brakes, or bend brakes out (??)

skiis are a 93 mm waist ... clean, new last year model and no binding yet/ no re-drilling will be needed

Totally fine to bend the brakes 3mm - they might well fit without bending anyway. I’ve gone brakeless before and it was fine, but you do have to be careful with skis when transitioning so they don’t slide away… Would also recommend the B&D leashes (available from Spyderjon) with a break point (in case of avalanche etc) if you go that route.

Re. the inserts, yeah probably more like 10 mins per ski to remove one binding and add on another. But I am pretty sure you won’t find ANY alpine binding that fits the hole pattern of dynafits. Inserts are usually used to use one pair of bindings across multiple skis, not multiple bindings on one ski. You should still be able to make it work though; you’ll just have to play around with how the hole patterns overlap to make sure no holes are too close together.

Or just get Shifts and never have to deal with the insert faff again wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shifts are heavy. Just remove the brakes, and personally, I’d bin the leashes too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zzz wrote:
Shifts are heavy. Just remove the brakes, and personally, I’d bin the leashes too.

honest question zzz ... are some brakes not separatable ... totally integrated ... ?

yeah, someone said use a leash instead ... uhhh ... NO !
a little macabre but ... say an avalanche hits / slab seperates technically ...
and you have to avoid trees (big cause of avalanche fatalities but ... wait ...
the leash catches a pine branch and all is no chance)
anyhoooo ... agreed no leash ... they probably cause accidents and injuries... bottom line has to be safety of life and limb,of course don't ski in a crowd someone is gonna tumble
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

someone said use a leash instead ... uhhh ... NO !
Get some b&d leashes http://www.bndskigear.com/skileash.html

(..or from Jon at ThePisteOffice for UK viewers Toofy Grin )

They have fusible links designed to break if you get avved, and are coiled but super long so you can do your skin transitions without unclipping the leash, and are unlikely to get clouted by your ski if you fall/release
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zzz wrote:

Yep they are heavy - good leg training wink They ski nice though and save a lot of faff if switching between dynafits and alpine bindings via inserts all the time as per the OP (I bet that time to switch bindings is more than you'd make up on the skin track with the lighter bindings)

Re. brakes or leashes personally I'd always want one of them but for touring not too fussed which. Absolute last thing you want after climbing 1200m is to have not paid 100% attention to where you stashed your skis to transition/gust of wind catches them and watch one shoot off on a solo adventure. And I know myself well enough to know I'm prone to being exactly that dumbass Laughing

Re leashes and avalanches, as I mentioned the solution is those BND leashes with the break points. As the other site has been linked to I'll drop one to Spyderjon Wink https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/com-virtuemart/com-virtuemart-menu-categories/the-piste-office-store/ski-leashes-traces-ties/b-d-ski-leash_55684bf72b3c5-detail
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowbunny21,

Don’t know about brake removal on the shift but on any lightweight touring binding I’ve used they are optional. I have also given up leashes. I find them a PITA and in twenty years have yet to have a touring ski release (not necessarily a good thing!). I think if the crash was bad enough to release the ski then I’d be as likely to receive a head injury from the flailing ski attached by the leash.
ski holidays
Quote:
...given up leashes. I find them a PITA ... receive a head injury from the flailing ski attached by the leash

Agree with all the above, however as per my earlier post I've become a convert to the b&d ones.

They are long enough that risk of a flailing ski hitting you in a fall is minimised.

They still have the potential to be a PITA used in the original way (ie attached to the ski & clipped round your leg, so flail around when carrying skis etc)

However if you look at the image I posted above, I've got them attached to the boot, so v. easy to clip to the ski before you even put it down on the snow, (so no bending over to clip the leash etc.) And for walking you just clip it out of the way round the boot...

Sorted
snow conditions
Quote:
...given up leashes. I find them a PITA ... receive a head injury from the flailing ski attached by the leash

Agree with all the above, however as per my earlier post I've become a convert to the b&d ones.

They are long enough that risk of a flailing ski hitting you in a fall is minimised.

They still have the potential to be a PITA used in the original way (ie attached to the ski & clipped round your leg, so flail around when carrying skis etc)

However if you look at the image I posted above, I've got them attached to the boot (with paracord protected from edges with plastic tubing) so v. easy to clip to the ski before you even put it down on the snow, (no bending over to clip the leash etc.) And for walking you just clip it out of the way round the boot...

Sorted
snow conditions
geoffers wrote:
Quote:

someone said use a leash instead ... uhhh ... NO !
Get some b&d leashes http://www.bndskigear.com/skileash.html

(..or from Jon at ThePisteOffice for UK viewers Toofy Grin )

They have fusible links designed to break if you get avved, and are coiled but super long so you can do your skin transitions without unclipping the leash, and are unlikely to get clouted by your ski if you fall/release

thanks everybuddy ... what great posts/advice/perspective from the experts in the forums

somebody said sometin' bad about leashes and I ran with it ...
but ... my bad !
oh my ... these look super nice ...
marketing is maybe what has got everyone into binding brakes ...
they are actually dangerous from a safety standpoint, imho
snow conditions
zzz wrote:

Another reason you MUST use leashes is touring in glaciated terrain - there's no way you should be walking around on a glacier recovering a lost ski.

On a hut to hut tour in the Maurienne our guide insisted that the skiers with brakes got leashes before we headed off Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy