Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIN Settings - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Every time I go to Xscape I seem to be given different DIN settings. This worries me a bit. So here are my stats:

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 15 stone (mostly muscle and body hair Laughing )
Boot Length: 306mm (Salomon Ellipse 8s)
Ski-ing ability: Done 3 weeks ski-ing, good parallel turns, the odd small jump, love red runs.

Please give me advice on DIN settings for:
a) Xscape sessions
b) On a mountain ski-ing for real

Thanks.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 11-06-06 17:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In theory, because of your body morphology, it would be your height and boot sole length which would be used to formally position you on the bindings settings charts. Assuming a given skier under 50yrs old, and of the type you've described, the Salomon tech manual 05-06 for this skier with your figures would read 5.5. However, I suspect you might pre-release on that setting, especially if going for it at speeds, conditions you won't meet at Xscape. The normal procedure would then be to go up in half-steps heel step only first, then if insufficient, toe step. Best thing of all I'm afraid is to try to get a professional assessment where you rent your equipment and where the legal liability must lie (though I do appreciate your predicament) rather than my punter's info off of here! wink wink snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have you at an 5.5 on the release chart (Wintersteiger). AS a type 2 skier you would be on a 6.5 . "Skis moderately, prefers a variety of speeds, varried terrain including most difficult trails." AFter only 3 weeks skiiing you don';t want to be cracking your din setting up too high.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I work at XScape Cas, and from what our chart would read I'd put you on about 5-6, but I wouldn't worry too much about it because it's not like you're DIN is going to play a big part at Xscape; the slope is so gentle and there's no bad terrain (unless you're skiing the moguls / on a freestyle night.)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 15-06-06 0:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the responses guys.

I guess around 6 sounds about right then.

Cheers,

Johno snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No worries. You went there today?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jono,

I wasn't there today.

I mostly go at 17:00 on a Friday afternoon - roughly every other week. I go with my 10 yr old boy and we do the ApresSchool deal @ £28.00 for us both for 1 hour - plus the annoying non-returnable £1 for the locker.

Its really quiet at this time (ssshh, don't tell anyone) so theres no real queing for the lift and its a nice start to the weekend, and something to get me through Thursday/Friday at work ! Usually there is a jump or 2 open which adds to the fun Very Happy

Do you work Friday nights so I can say hello when I'm next there ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saturdays / Sundays only I'm afraid, but hope to get more shifts in come Summer hols. I guess I should stick my pic up so y'all know who to wave at next time you're at CAS!

..or maybe not NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No, they don't like images on this forum for some strange reason.
NehNeh
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are DIN settings from one manufacturer to another broadly comparable ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nickski, look up the definition of DIN wink Blush

The theory is that they should release with exactly the same force (Nm) at identical settings. There is a lot of leeway in how the binding behave prior to the release point. some have a lot more elasticity of movement in differing Axis that others as part of their USPs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DIN is a german standard. Which has actually been replaced by ISO so in theory it should be an ISO setting
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jono,

I do occasionally get there over the weekend.

Your not the guy who's in a band who played at some festival in Scarborough recently.

If you are we've already met, if not I'll stop trying to guess who you are and will PM you when I am next there on Sat/Sun so we can wave hello snowHead too
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The bottom line is that you want your skis to come off before an injury occurs. For mere mortals (ie not racers or competitive mogulers) the amount of DIN you want is the same whether you are skiing hardpack, bumps or powder. The slope at Xscape is gentle & the moguls aren't severe so cranking up DIN's shouldn't be used to mask technique problems.

(Edited 15.6.06 so as not to land anyone in the doghouse with their employer wink)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 15-06-06 8:21; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guys....why are people getting so anul about DIN settings, it is quite simple really the chart that is (or should be) used by ski shops / rental operations uses 5 parameters to determine the release value sttings for your bindings these parameters are
1 height
2 weight
3 boot sole length
4 ability
5 Age

some charts now include details of torgue agross the tibia as this is a more acurate way of determining the setting, the major problem with it is it is more complicated to take the measurements and as such very few places actually use that section of the chart. within the next 5 years (if not sooner) every rental operation will have to have a binding testing machine and test every pair as it goes out on hire, this will include x scape and all the dry slopes around the country, IMO the sooner this happens the better as these "oh you should be set around this and if you are skiing jumps then wind it up a" bit comments will end someone in a court someday.

Hairy Boy, the chart setting that Edmundh009 has used for you is the correct way to determine the settings, forget the guess work and if in doubt go into a reputable shop with the sjkis and a boot, they will (or at least should) charge you, but the workshop ticket must be kept for at least 5 years as they have to take repsonsibilty for the settings and the safety of the binding system. bear in mind that you must have the bindings checked every 30 skier days or (the time span determined by the manufacturer)if you want to have any come back

beyond the use of a settings chart then if you as a freestyler, racer , instructor or whoever decide to turn your settings either up or down then have an injury then YOU have no comeback.

there is of course the fact that DIN settings are not the only determining factor when it comes to binding release/non release.....the forward pressure (length of the binding adjustment matching the boot) also plays a big part. ie. if the DIN setting is correct buit the binding is either too tight or too loose onto the boot then it may release early or not release at all
ski holidays
When I went to Anything Technical in May, Andy Taylor brought up something interesting that was on watchdog a few years ago. Apparently the techs at alot of dry ski slopes where using a much lower din setting than should have been applied. This caused premature release and some injuries as a result. It shows how some places choose to ignore the chart. He told me it was very important to mark on the customer receipt all their details in case someone came back and tried to sue, if for instance they said their weight was less than it really was or they said they weere a type 3+ skier when they were really a type 1 Shocked
snow report
We were talking about this at the Eosb in our appt. Shouldn't ski width also be a factor, given the dramitic increase in ski widths over the last couple of years.
snow report
Nickski wrote:
We were talking about this at the EoSB in our appt. Shouldn't ski width also be a factor, given the dramitic increase in ski widths over the last couple of years.

Perhaps, but not in answer to the original question.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy