Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Is there a reason why this thread is stickied when most other resort threads aren't?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Is there a reason why this thread is stickied when most other resort threads aren't?

It happened a couple of weeks ago also
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, wish I was there today rather than the whiteout conditions I battled through last Monday. Still, at least I got from Samoens to the Grand Platieres and back. Great for those who are there now. Enjoy the final two weeks - I'll be there again sometime snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
turms2 wrote:
are the connections from Samoens etc till Flaine open?
I am thinking to make a stopover for a little bit skiing at Freitag. Since the kids has the season pass and they do not need to pay

yep, plenty of snow for now...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alexsas wrote:
turms2 wrote:
are the connections from Samoens etc till Flaine open?
I am thinking to make a stopover for a little bit skiing at Freitag. Since the kids has the season pass and they do not need to pay

yep, plenty of snow for now...

thanks...hope will be unchanged until Friday
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We skied over to Flaine from Les Carroz today and there is plenty of snow on the links (more than for several weeks) so should be fine for Friday.
Fantastic conditions again today. Some cloud in places but snow at top of Flaine superb.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yep. surprisingly cold for April...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alexsas, yes this season has been very tipsy turvy, very warm and sunny Feb, and I am def now wearing more layers again.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
White out conditions today with the occasional break and sunshine in places. Closed Corbalanche chairlift digital info stated +23 degrees!
Very slushy and brown at the end of Marmottes - grim from just above Brasserie Des Saix.
Avoid Aouia from Samoens 1600 down to Coulouvrier - mud and stones galore. I won’t make that mistake again - board repair and wax now required.
I can’t see how Aouia can stay open much longer unless snow canons used.
Hundreds of beginner French teenagers around today in big ski school groups - looked like school trips rather than families.
Plenty of snow high up and powder to be found if you know where to look. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugarmoma666 wrote:

I don’t know what ‘stickied’ means but wondering if I’ve done something in settings (unintentional) as I was the person who began this thread. Happy to ‘unstick’ if someone can tell me how?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Freestyle, threads can be marked as "sticky" so they always appear at the top of the forum. It's not something you can do - it's a task for administrators / moderators, and was most likely done by me being hamfisted when checking the thread on my phone as the "latest post" icon is very close to the "sticky" button and my phone is quite small. I've now resolved this and tidied up some others
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nbt, Ah I see. Thanks for being an Admin. You are all very much appreciated! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Checked out Flaine this morning and while the sun was out along with clear blue skies, the snow was pretty bad. Icy and hard almost everywhere, it's just a bit too cold I guess. Tourmaline a zoo with families and ski schools literally sliding down from top to bottom haha. Lucifer was the best piste I found, but I had to bail around noon. Gers was scheduled to open at 10:30 although it looked like there was a decent slide on the section of the bowl to skier's left, away from the tire-fesse.

Probably my last day of the season as grandparents are coming in and no more snow on the horizon. Conditions look cold this week though so the base might stick around a bit for next week. I had a blast up there during my first season in the area though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@turms2, Yes, the links are still open. Went over to Samoens from Flaine this morning, pistes were hard-packed but made for some fast skiing. Carroz seems to be closed below the Gron chair with the only access to and from the village being via the telecabine. The Chars piste down to the Coulouvrier chair was lovely. Generally, very few people about, I think they mostly come over to Flaine in the morning.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
but are the pistes in samoens till down in the village open? i thought from 1.600 and up.
if so maybe i will make a stop the day after tomorrow.
A little bit skiing before we drive furthermore to Chamonix
ski holidays
@turms2, the runs down to the valley (below Samoens 1600) are often closed even in midwinter. It would be unusual for them still to be open in April.
snow report
thought so. It is not a big deal. We are in the way to Mid April.
As long as the slopes over 1600 are open and the connection with flaine worth it a visit
ski holidays
@turms2, you can't ski down from 1600 to Samoens itself - from the plateau, you can ski down to Colouvrier (you have to get the lift back up), or down to the base station at Vercland (you CAN get a lift back up). If you're staying in Samoens itself, you would have to upload to / download from 1600 at the start / end of each day via the Grand Massif Express (or the lift at Vercland - it's often quicker, but means getting there in the first place)

The live map however shows that the Aouia piste to Coulouvrier and the Grand Cret piste to Vercland are both closed already

https://grandmassif.2dmap.spotlio.com/
latest report
i do not intend to ski down to Samoens. Our plan is to drive to Samoens take the Grand Express and head to flaine with the kids. Probably eat something in Flaine , a little bit skiing there sind the kids know the resort, and the go back to Samoens and again with the Grand Express back to parking, take the car and head to les houches where we will stay for 1 night
There was also an option to ski somewhere roun Les Houches but 1. Flaine has more snow and 2. the kids are skiing for free so i win 20-30 euro such a way which i could spend for a nice pizza.

Of course as long as the connection will be open at Friday
snow report
Loved today’s conditions en route to Flaine -detour to Portet as it was a great first run of the day. Tormaline, Faust, Allmandine, Fred, Lapiaz and Jade were all great fun. Nice and cold but blue skies and sunshine. Drinks in the sunshine and Chamois spotting. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
But, full disclosure, very brown and slushy back down into Damioselles in Samoens at the end of the day.
snow report
@Freestyle, sounds great. We saw thé chamois a few times.
snow conditions
@turms2, in that case you might want to consider parking at Vercland, it's a quicker gondola and has smaller queues than GME (usually no queue at all)
snow conditions
nbt wrote:
@turms2, in that case you might want to consider parking at Vercland, it's a quicker gondola and has smaller queues than GME (usually no queue at all)

This pro tip has made me realise I wrote the wrong lift name in an earlier post. Damoiseaux is open but Damoiselles has been closed this week.

Which means the only way to get back to the Vercland cable car at the end of the day is either the PLATEAU drag lift or the TAGATAGADA (rose vache) ski bus from the plateau up to 1600.
snow report
nbt wrote:

I really dont know.
Vercland parking seems too small .
After almost 6 hours driving i Prefer to go somewhere where i will definitely find a place
snow conditions
@turms2,

I would avoid Vercland parking unless you know that Damoiselles is open. snowHead
latest report
Freestyle wrote:
@turms2,

I would avoid Vercland parking unless you know that Damoiselles is open. snowHead

I think i Prüfer the grand express parking

Oh...this auto corekter is such a pain in the a@@@
ski holidays
Althoug...i dont understand it. The Vernant lift is open, but the slope dolomie "in preparation"
That means that the connection to flaine is not open.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@turms2, i concur with @Freestyle, avoid Vercland parking unless you know that Damoiselles is open.

Just for reference for people searching in future, there's plenty of parking around Vercland though it's split into 3 distinct areas rather than being one huge bloc like the GME parking

Quote:

The Vernant lift is open, but the slope dolomie "in preparation"

It's serving people from vernant parking - take the Lac lift to Vernant lift then either down to Flaine, or by that time (and thus by the time you get over from Samoens) Dolomie will have opened. Dolmie is showing as open now
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
@turms2, i concur with @Freestyle, avoid Vercland parking unless you know that Damoiselles is open.

Just for reference for people searching in future, there's plenty of parking around Vercland though it's split into 3 distinct areas rather than being one huge bloc like the GME parking

Quote:

The Vernant lift is open, but the slope dolomie "in preparation"

It's serving people from vernant parking - take the Lac lift to Vernant lift then either down to Flaine, or by that time (and thus by the time you get over from Samoens) Dolomie will have opened. Dolmie is showing as open now

yeap. I see it also. Thanks for the info
latest report
@turms2, if you are just using Samoens as a route to get to Flaine, you might consider parking at Les Carroz les Molliets and heading up that way, quicker back to the main road to get to Les Houches? That is what we did when heading over for a day from St. Gervais a while back.
ski holidays
dunc999 wrote:
@turms2, if you are just using Samoens as a route to get to Flaine, you might consider parking at Les Carroz les Molliets and heading up that way, quicker back to the main road to get to Les Houches? That is what we did when heading over for a day from St. Gervais a while back.

thought also this way.
But i have to drive around 6 hours, meaning wake up around 3.30 am, driving from 4 till 10 .
I think that i will not have the patience/courage to drive all those U-turns till Les Molliets.
And definitely not the best for the kindern.
snow report
Flaine today was excellent. No crowds, so basically had Mephisto Superior and Almandine to ourselves. Freddy busier, and with the best snow of the day. Even the ski back down to Vernant was fine compared to the usual mush it can be. There is going to be new snow tomorrow, so if you are there for the Easter weekend it should be fantastic.
latest report
Been very lucky with our end Season Samoens gamble.

Everything holding up really well in Flaine, Samoens 1600 was very wet but not bad higher up the mountain.

Had one poor day cause of low visibility but last night we had 18cm at the tops and a very low snow line (a tiny bit even made it all the way to the town amazingly.)

Lovely to get off the piste and into some nice powder today, and plenty of it as its really quiet. It was still snowing quite heavily when we came back over about 3 so looking forward for a good last day tomorrow.
ski holidays
Gorgeous bluebird powder day today. Unbelievable for mid-April. It looked so miserable in early March that I thought they'd have to close early. how wrong I was...
snow conditions
A lot of snow today but bad visibility and very wet in the morning.

There was a wedding today at the restaurant at the top of DMC. What a wonderful idea. Looks like the party went skiing after Very Happy
snow conditions
Skinned up to the top from Les Carroz today and the snow was great haha, super fun day with lots of kids going down in sleds on the slopes down lower too. It's likely not going to last with some rain coming in down low next week but the base is looking pretty amazing up top!

Time for a 23-24 thread?
ski holidays
Yes please. Coming out in January.
ski holidays
Flaine opening this weekend!!!!!!!!!! Hoping to get up there on skins tomorrow.
snow report
great news - what is the source of your info? Thank you!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy