Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Thanks to the energy saving measures, Diamant Noir only runs at the weekends, and for most of the time we tried it, the DMC was running at half speed for the same reason, so had enormous queues. As a result in 27 days skiing GM this season, we went up to the very top maybe a dozen times in total

yeah, they were running it midweek more in the early season i think. it's been a pain that it's not been running during the week right now, I totally agree. On the good powder day last week I just stayed in the bottom half of the bowl because it was such a pain to get to the top lol.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I got that wrong! In Samoens for 2 days only - was hoping to ski over to Flaine but links closed, in fact Samoens closed due to weather. Hopefully open tomorrow or I'm stuffed. I know I could drive to Flaine but not worth it today with weather. But there's fresh snow higher up which should be good for Easter if temps stay lowish. As people keep saying on SH go high!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting experience today skiing in Les Carroz. Had been snowing in morning with links closed due to wind. We made the best of the conditions and had just finished lunch at L’Anfionne (bottom of plein soleil) when we were told they’d shut that lift too… but piste contrôle would take us to top of gondola on skidoos, as Timalets closed. Very grateful to them for looking after us and keeping us safe, and great fun. Weird being only people on that slope. We could ski down from gondola and storm started just as we got down.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Very grateful to them for looking after us and keeping us safe

Well, little frozen corpses aren't good for the resort's image.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Motherof3, Free skidoo ride! Nice! So it was the Plein Soleil chairlift (opposite L’Anfionne) that had closed whilst you were eating? And you needed to get back to Molliets car park?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes Plein Soleil lift closed (as was Molliets lift). We just wanted to ski back to Les Carroz but Timalets also v firmly closed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Motherof3, so how did you ski down to the village if Timalets was closed? Or was there a bus from Molliets car park down?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Combe is the only other way at present.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes skied down Combe
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
About 20 years ago I had a free skidoo ride back to DMC top station in Flaine. I'd set off and skied a few hundred yards and a binding failed (unfixable). Started walking and patrol picked me up. He didn't hang around! I then hired some carving skis (first time) and realised how much easier those things were compared to my older non carvers. So chucked them and bought a pair of carvers in next Easter sale from S&R (still have them as rockhoppers).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got an appt in Cham tomorrow afternoon, trying to decide whether to swing by Flaine in the morning or skin up something higher up in the valley. Unfortunately I've got an all-day meeting in Annecy on Tuesday, which is looking like it will be quite a good day for skiing.....

That cold front came in fast these past couple of hours!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They stopped all lifts throughout GM this afternoon due to threat of thunderstorms and lightning. We are in Flaine..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Motherof3, Ah, I see. I think I know where the start of Combe is but I have a feeling I often miss it…
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
coldrainsnow wrote:

That cold front came in fast these past couple of hours!

Certainly did! Hoping to get over to Flaine tomorrow. Yes, Tuesday looks good but I wont be here unfortunately.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fresh snow on our terrace in Les Carroz this morning and it’s snowing just now
ski holidays
Ended up skinning to Col de Balme from Le Tour this morning instead of hitting Flaine. Powder was great, kept getting better the higher I got. Vis was terrible, pretty much white-out up until around noon. I'm sure Flaine will be A+ tomorrow!!!
latest report
@coldrainsnow, I got over to Flaine today but it was a struggle - whiteout conditions like you. Really struggling to see piste markets. especially on way back to Samoens but I came across a French group who happened to be going my way and invited me to ski with them which was nice of them. Pity it wasn't yhe sunny day. Plenty of fresh for folks coming this way though (dependent on temps of course).
snow report
I bet it was good up there today! I was stuck inside a terrible meeting all day in Annecy, literally gazing up at the snow covered mountains.... NehNeh
ski holidays
A mixed bag morning up at Flaine today, complete with some snow, rain, and layer of Sahara sand. Some decent snow up top, especially on Faust first thing, but it was warm and lots was slushy below 2000m or so. Some off-piste coverage here and there, and other spots looking pretty bare. It looks like things are lining up for one more dump this weekend though....
ski holidays
I assume you could see then! Looks like I had the worst two days then. That's life I guess.
snow report
the forecast says almost a meter in the next 3 days... Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

the forecast says almost a meter in the next 3 days...

I can't make it up on Monday, so I'm selfishly hoping it all comes through before Sunday afternoon hahaha...

Winter's not over yet!
snow report
Im driving over on Sunday so hoping there is plenty left for that week.
ski holidays
Ski area shut today, thunderstorm this morning and it's blowing a lot, took dogs out in a brief lull and it was very warm here in Les Carroz
snow conditions
Any thoughts on how conditions may be in Les Carroz and around tomorrow (Saturday)? We're considering driving down from Chamomile as I think there's a good chance we'll be in white out and not much may be open. Just wondering how much might be open and how much of a battering the pistes have taken over the last few days. Many thanks
ski holidays
We are in Les Carroz and just here there is not too much open, yesterday the lower half of Combe was closed and you had to take the gondola back to the village. But slightly higher up portet and marmottes have plenty of snow, yesterday it was just very sticky. On Monday and Tuesday conditions were excellent all over the area, and we skied all around Morillon and Samoëns. It was incredibly quiet. We were the only ones on Les Chars (also plenty of snow) and Chamois. On Wed and Thursday we skied over to Flaine to try to reach better quality snow. It has been raining in Les Carroz most of the day, but is getting colder and snow due overnight even in the village. Hope that is of some help
snow report
We left Flaine today. Resort was shut due to the electrical storm and high winds apparently. The pistes were washed away and to be honest, ruined within 2 days of the big dump. Sticky, slushy and ruined by the rain of past few days. Unless the powder returns with vengeance followed by cold weather, I’d say you’re wasting money.
snow conditions
In Flaine today none of the lifts opened, which was very frustrating. I assume this was due to strong winds, but maybe also because of the threat of thunder and lightening. At resort level it was raining in the morning, occasionally turning to hail or freezing rain (is there a difference?) but when the cloud did clear it seemed that it had been snowing higher up. As the day wore on the rain turned to wet snow and by about 18.00 it was snowing here at 1700m. It is still snowing now and there is about 10cm on my balcony. If this keeps up all night, and assuming the lifts do open, Saturday could be a good day to hit the slopes early. Bad luck for those leaving tomorrow, I'm here for another week so am counting myself lucky.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Fruity, Sorry, I've repeated some of what you posted a minute before me!
ski holidays
desperate - it's a shocking year in the PdS & GM and little better elsewhere. Italy very ugly now too - they have about a foot of snow all season!

Hopefully just a blip, rather than the climate extinction, and we'll have snow next year
ski holidays
On a more positive note, it’s been snowing overnight in Les Carroz and snow falling now. Should be plenty up top, so for those arriving today good timing!
latest report
@Chris Mason, have a great week! I’m pretty convinced my beloved son gave me Covid anyway so I’ll be glad to get back to my own bed. He’d been in Tignes the previous week and met us at Flaine.. the journey back to the UK has been hard going! It rained pretty much all the way. Now the OH has taken the wheel and we just hit the M25. Missing the mountain already.
snow report
The fresh snow made skiing great fun early this morning, making fresh tracks on Faust and Almandine before 9.30. Conditions very good for time of year but there were times when the cloud came in and the vis went down to less than 20m. Sun came out this afternoon but this did mean that lower down the snow started to suffer. And then, at 18.00, it started to snow again and is still snowing now. I can't believe how lucky I am to be out here now - well worth missing a whole day yesterday due to the lifts not being open. What surprised me was the very small number of people on the slopes. I know Saturday is the traditional changeover day but this is normally compensated for by Les Genevoise coming in when the conditions look promising - but I'm not complaining!
snow report
Fantastic day today! First lift up hitting all the powder on route from Samoens to Flaine. Coffee at le Dessert Blanc coffee shop (just to throw the ball for the dog!) and then the rest of the day looping powder around Desert Blanc! It was still snowing in Samoens when we called it quits for the day…
latest report
Freestyle wrote:
Fantastic day today! First lift up hitting all the powder on route from Samoens to Flaine. Coffee at le Dessert Blanc coffee shop (just to throw the ball for the dog!) and then the rest of the day looping powder around Desert Blanc! It was still snowing in Samoens when we called it quits for the day…

Ditto. Long drive from the U.K. on Saturday. Yes, thank you Brexit… Massively made up for it today. Skied fresh tracks down Gers. Top was pure powder, getting heavier as you drop altitude. Heaven! Then Gers closed due to fog, forcing us to do loops on the drag lifts near Grenier and Aujon. Skied some more off-piste down the side of Marmottes, where my secret stash was untouched on the way back to Samoens. Chilling now ahead of a day at Nendaz tomorrow - don’t ask Cool
snow report
@cheburator, Now I have to ask: Nendaz?
ski holidays
Quote:

@cheburator, Now I have to ask: Nendaz?

Laughing

Glad you all made it up for the fresh this weekend! I got a bit stuck with family which was all good, had a great time. Skinned a bit out of Vallorcine and Le Tour but the snow was quite heavy down low.. I bet it was very nice up on the top of Grand Montets but I didn't have the time to get up there!! That's a significant climb lol and takes me hours from the bottom.

Maybe going to head up Tuesday?? I'm not quite ready to put my skis away yet hahaha.....
ski holidays
@coldrainsnow, I always ‘Bonjour’ the skinners. Hats off to the fitness required!
snow report
are the connections from Samoens etc till Flaine open?
I am thinking to make a stopover for a little bit skiing at Freitag. Since the kids has the season pass and they do not need to pay
ski holidays
Quote:

@coldrainsnow, I always ‘Bonjour’ the skinners. Hats off to the fitness required!

haha thanks! it's a fun way to mix up the season and definitely keep some fitness through the winter. My main sport of choice is trail-running, and it's amazing how well it crosses over once the trails thaw out... in fact there's an American pro runner, Jim Walmsley, that has moved to Beaufort and exclusively skied this winter. He's making another go at UTMB this summer and I'm really hoping all the ski-mo pays dividends for him.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy