Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
nbt wrote:
Quote:

it’s not possible to ski from the top of Aup de Veran directly down to Grand Vans?

Correct, best you can do is ski to the dmc and take the telebenne yoghurt pots

Yes this or another single lift ride. You'd still want to keep high in Flaine to avoid the need to also ride the beginner covered carpet. Skiing down to Grand Vars past the beginner area is not a great spot with skiers crossing each other trying to keep speed in a flat area, quite dangerous. Lower down has the same problem with people crossing to get to either the chair or the Aup de Veran cabin having arrived from slightly different directions.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nbt, thanks. That’s indeed what we did. snowHead

@BAN, that’s good to know - would I be able to scope out the off piste traverse from the DMC?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can get to almandine on piste. Best to scope traverse from six man chair (tête des verds).
At the moment the snow coverage probably means a bit of side stepping to avoid barren patches.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well here in Morillon village we had rain from about 6pm, that turned to snow about 7pmish. The grass all went white, but it wasn't sticking on the tarmac. It turned back to rain then stopped entirely just after 9. Drizzle this morning and the white is slowly vanishing, though the drizzle has now stopped.

We lost sight of the top of the mountain around 4pm yesterday, with the Samoens plateau disappearing around 5, so hopefully more snow up there? It reappeared about 9 when the rain cleared
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Raining in Flaine resort. Was snow earlier. Snow on the mountain. Skiing very enjoyable
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Webcams look like its a mix of snow and rain ....man i hate the few days leading up to a ski trip...constant worrying about the conditions rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rain snow seems to be around 2150 at the mo in Flaine.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Headed for Vercland this morning only to find all links closed due to high wind. Went up and died back down to the rep, but the piste was very busy and getting very thin in places, so headed round to Morillon. Crete Bas and Chalets Haut were very sticky, but Vielle and Sairon were lovely.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very nice snow at top of Flaine. DMC was closed at 15.00.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why is Grand Massif thread “sticky”?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DJL, probably me being ham-fisted when accessing "unviewed posts" on my tablet. I'll unsticky it now
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Over the years, it’s been clear that the GM is vulnerable to high wind closures. I don’t really know how this compares to other resorts but it’s easy to predict when GM lifts will close due to high winds when looking at the day’s forecast.
Today’s closures have really made it evident how poor the Samoens offering is when all Tete de Saix lifts are closed due to high winds. Morillon and Les Carroz have so many more piste available when links are closed.
I’m guessing that if this closure had occurred during school holidays, then Samoens would need to crank up the old original Chariande 4 man in order to meet village demand. I guess they looked at the numbers for today and decided ‘non’…
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oh boy it's starting to look good for this weekend.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Freestyle, they'll struggle to crank up the old Chariande at short notice - they have removed the chairs! rolling eyes We've assumed that they plan to do something with it eventually, as the pylons, cables and lift stations are all still in place.

Snow in Carroz today was remarkably good. Very little ice around (compared with Flaine yesterday, which was a skating rink) and pistes almost empty. It did rain at lower levels and snow a bit higher, but late morning and lunchtime were clearish and pleasant.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sj1608, ha! Shows how little I’ve paid attention to it…have the chairs been gone a while or just this season? We were disappointed today that they didn’t allow the link between Morillon and Les Carroz to open - especially as gron and Molliets were both open. Or did I miss a way to get between the two today? snowHead
snow report
The chairs were still in place last season, but weren't by the time we came in January.

The issue today wouldn't have been getting to Morillon from Carroz, but getting back. Biollaires piste (virtually opposite the top of Sairon chair) which takes you back to Carroz is closed due to lack of snow. The only alternative back from Morillon is to go down Chars and up Coulouvrier to the Tete.......which was closed due to high wind.
latest report
I Skied in the Carroz today and found the snow terribly wet, not icy as sj1608 mencioned but very limited pistes and it was raining not snowing at all in pistes, at least while I was on top pf kedeuze and gron, between 11 and 13:30..... It's raining in carroz village and iso is 2000, so not not expecting is much better in the mountain, tomorrow even more wet snow Sad hopefully a less wind, so we can move around more ad try to find better conditions.
snow report
Powder alert issued!! Get those fatties out!!!

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/288417

Of course our non-skiing friends are coming into town Saturday night.... seriously thinking about taking them to the restau on the top of Flaine for Lunch and hey, what do you know, snow's good... I'll see you in a few hours. Very Happy

Hopefully winds stay down enough to keep the lifts open. Looks like a decent storm!
ski holidays
Cold, That is a great service! Was doing my anti-rain dance. Cool
ski holidays
Quote:

Today’s closures have really made it evident how poor the Samoens offering is when all Tete de Saix lifts are closed due to high winds. Morillon and Les Carroz have so many more piste available when links are closed.

Yep, i made the rookie error of not checking and heading for Vercland yesterday. Grand Cret down to the Rep was heaving and already getting mogulled in the narrow section. We got in the car and headed back to Morillon, much more available.
Lots of rain overnight and the snow cover on Grand Cret has visibly shrunk looking from Morillon village, so i would not be surprised to see it closed today. All the links closed again today
ski holidays
Well they Opened all the links so we’re over in flaine. There’s been a few cm of fresh here on top of very hard pistes but it’s very busy, we’ve queued for almost 5 or 6 minutes at most chairs.
latest report
nbt wrote:
Quote:

Yep, i made the rookie error of not checking and heading for Vercland yesterday. Grand Cret down to the Rep was heaving and already getting mogulled in the narrow section. We got in the car and headed back to Morillon, much more available.
Lots of rain overnight and the snow cover on Grand Cret has visibly shrunk looking from Morillon village, so i would not be surprised to see it closed today. All the links closed again today

I like Morillon for that, kinda snuggled into it's own decent area if conditions are difficult. One of my favourite places to stay Les Esserts village, nice in summer too with enough col shade when temperature is high.
snow conditions
Quote:

Well they Opened all the links so we’re over in flaine. There’s been a few cm of fresh here on top of very hard pistes but it’s very busy, we’ve queued for almost 5 or 6 minutes at most chairs.

Agreed, I snuck away for a quick skin to the top and then did laps on Lucifer which was very fun as half the piste was completely wind blown ice and the other half was nice powder snowdrifts. Smile

I was surprised at how busy the queues were.
snow conditions
Cold, did you skin close to the Desert Blanc lift?
latest report
Quote:

Cold, did you skin close to the Desert Blanc lift?

Nope, i was on the far side of Serpentine, under the cliff. I saw some guys going up under Desert Blanc though. Smile
snow conditions
I saw a bloke, too.
snow conditions
Lifts closed in Morillon today, GME shall closed though it looks like lifts are running on the plateau. Is raining fairly steadily here in the village
snow conditions
Oh the irony of big dumps of snow in the UK and high temps, wind, with heavy rain in the GM. Fingers crossed that the winds and temps drop, then this rain can turn to snow (at Morillon).
It's a 45 minute drive to Flaine, so we may give it a miss.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt wrote:
Lifts closed in Morillon today, GME shall closed though it looks like lifts are running on the plateau. Is raining fairly steadily here in the village

The GME and Sairon are listed as open on the GM website. Can anyone confirm please?
ski holidays
@Freestyle, if you look at the Morillon webcam there are people on Sairon lift and also skiing down, so guess they must have opened now. But GM are appalling at updating the app/website and also at issuing notifications of openings/closings that are not scheduled. We spent a few days in Tignes earlier in the season and got clear notifications of 'xyz now closed due to high wind' or 'abc now open' several times a day. Yesterday, Chariande II was showing en prevision....although it doesn't even have chairs on it as discussed above!
snow conditions
@sj1608, Thanks. Agreed on the notifications - you’d think they’d use SM to update…
ski holidays
Anyone know if any lifts are yet running to the Tete des Saix?
latest report
Webcam 'stuck' at 11.05 least night: https://app.webcam-hd.com/grand-massif/grand-massif_samoens-tete-des-saix???
latest report
Question all that I hope the Snowheads massive can help with - before we cancelled our trip when the resort closed in January apart from the top of Flaine, the lift pass company said they would refund. This has taken a while to process, but now they have said because we bought insurance with the passes we need to go down that route. The insurance claim form is straightforward enough, but one document it is asking for is as follows:

Support document of Excess/Lack of snow
The snow report published by an approved organisation concerning the resort itself if it is a member or if it is not the nearest resort as the crow flies or by the Policyholder

Now, at the time the official site put up a bulletin that it had had to close, which now cannot be found on the site, but anyone got any idea how I can find an "official" type of report detailing the closure/lack of snow?

Many thanks.
snow report
@dunc999, I don’t know the answer to this to this I’m afraid but if you can email the GM asking for confirmation of closure dates in an email, you could screenshot or PDF it and add that to your claim? snowHead
snow report
@Freestyle, thanks, I have done this, awaiting the reply - I've also screenshotted their official FB page with the announcement that all was closing on Jan 5th.
snow conditions
@dunc999, I have the official press release emails from Compagnie des Alpes about the closure (dated 31st Dec) and reopening (dated 10th Jan) if that would help? Just send me a PM with your email if you want me to forward them to you.
latest report
GME and Morillon lifts opened around 10.30, but the rain was so heavy we didn't bother, had a lovely lunch at Fabio in Samoens. It stopped raining about 2.30 so we headed out just after 3 and did a few laps of Sairon. The snowline seemed to be just below Biollaires lift, with fresh snow above (albeit a bit heavy) and wet snow below that. Tete de Saix didn't open, but i did see some people heading down the Biollaire piste towards Les Carroz: that *was* closed due to lack of snow, not sure if they reopened it officially or if (and i suspect this is the case) someone just took down the netting
ski holidays
Anybody up there today? How low did the snowline come down?

I'm across the valley at 1000m and still rain for us....
ski holidays
It's still raining at Morillon village height, however I can see that the snow line has dropped.
nbt heard blasting this morning, which can only be a good sign. Avalanche risk has risen from one early in the week to four.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy