Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking to see how things are in Flaine? Is it the ‘correct’ temperature for the snow cannons in the absence of any forecasted snow?
Also - any recommendations for adult ski lessons (private). We loved New Generation in 3V, but can’t see that they are in Flaine? Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It was snowing a bit this morning. Happy Not sure on temperatures as not there at the moment, but would highly recommend Lynne Stainbrook for private lessons. www.flaineskiclinic.com
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was very cold in GM today. Not sure about Flaine but snow canons running in Morillon today. Skied Flaine yesterday and generally snow holding up very well, usual pinch points excepted.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for the update! Hope the slopes hold out for our visit.

The forecast seems unpredictable so hoping for some snow for all!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes a dusting of snow was all that arrived yesterday. Rock hard pistes covered in man made snow. Very hard to get an edge. Worst I ever skied in more than 20 years. Didn’t soften up at all. We gave up around 3. Only skied a couple of pistes around Samoen/Morillon. It was very cold. Heading up to Flaine now to see if it’s any better.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Didn’t make it to Flaine we were slow to get moving but skied across to Les Carroz. Much warmer and better conditions under ski. Combe, Plein Soliel and marmottes blue all great. Looped around there had hot dogs outside in the sunshine at La Fionne Yum. Back towards Samoens and home via marmotte red also good only one icy patch near the restaurants half way down. Great sunshine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowmam wrote:
Yes a dusting of snow was all that arrived yesterday. Rock hard pistes covered in man made snow. Very hard to get an edge. Worst I ever skied in more than 20 years. Didn’t soften up at all. We gave up around 3. Only skied a couple of pistes around Samoen/Morillon. It was very cold. Heading up to Flaine now to see if it’s any better.

Same experience for me. Our last day (Sunday 26th) was pretty rubbish - spent much of it sliding down the hill on my bum after hitting yet another patch of ice covered with a thin layer of man made snow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quick trip to Flaine today, mainly to see it with our own eyes. Skinned up the track on the left of Serpentine for a workout, and it was fine once we got high enough, although definitely bare near the bottom where you can usually go up. We haven't been there for two weeks and I was shocked at how much it's changed - there's no snow basically anywhere off-piste that's south facing.

Found a couple spots between pistes that felt like they were a couple centimeters of powder on top of icy crust, which is exactly what they were. Snow on piste was skiable - decent spots up top, some pebbly spots in the middle, artificial snow down low. It's a looooong way away from the end of January, but plenty of happy holiday goers out having a good time.

Fingers crossed we get something good in March!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you for posting updates!

Hopeful for some snow next week when we visit. Belong as there’s enough for my young kids to learn we will be happy!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bluemonday2003@hotmail.co wrote:
Thank you for posting updates!

Hopeful for some snow next week when we visit. Belong as there’s enough for my young kids to learn we will be happy!

They are doing very well at looking after what’s there. We had a great day today in the mostly sunshine. A bit colder than yesterday and carnage coming home down marmotte red into Samoens with the crowds but overall plenty of good skiing and room. No real queue’s except for last chair up to the plateau.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It sounds like a good effort by all involved.

With the kids being in ski school I expect we won’t ski a huge amount so will make the most of the best snow at elevated north facing slopes!

Hopefully not a busy week next week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great updates, thanks to all for taking the time - but can’t say they have made me feel any better about my visit. Hard packed with icy patches is my idea of hell!! Sad There does look to be some some in the forecast? So fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jet2ski showing snow from next Wednesday?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Chris
In Flaine this week , the pistes are holding up remarkably well . Getting a bit hard packed lower down later in the day but the higher pistes are all pretty good .
The runs down to Les Carroz were excellent this morning but I haven’t ventured any lower .
We had some snow earlier in the week which helped and I believe more forecast this weekend.
There is some off piste higher up off the Grand Plattieres gondola but nothing great tbf .
Had glorious sunshine the last few days and temps getting a bit to high but great skiing.
Have a great week and hopefully the snow gods will help out .
Dave
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Trying not to look too far ahead, but some exciting stuff maybe lining up for next week... fingers crossed.
latest report
Thank you Dave. Glad to hear you have found some good skiing.

Looking forward to travelling this weekend and skiing Sunday.

although changeable it looks like some snow forecast next week which would be great for everybody!

Chris
ski holidays
Hello - anyone has done the Flaine in resort ski touring routes ? Are tourers skiing up slopes outside of the routes these days? It's more and more tolerated in other skin domains (well at least in Les Gets, Pras de Lys, Sommand, Les Brasses, Avoriaz, La Clusaz, in fact I've seen it in Les Arcs too two months ago), but we all know Grand Domaine likes to be different...
snow report
Quote:

Hello - anyone has done the Flaine in resort ski touring routes ? Are tourers skiing up slopes outside of the routes these days? It's more and more tolerated in other skin domains (well at least in Les Gets, Pras de Lys, Sommand, Les Brasses, Avoriaz, La Clusaz, in fact I've seen it in Les Arcs too two months ago), but we all know Grand Domaine likes to be different...

I regularly do the climbs up from Les Carroz, the Lac, and Flaine (bottom of Serpentine). It's tolerated in GM but official word is that you can't be on the pistes proper (which makes sense). The one up from the lower Les Carroz is probably the most aesthetic, follows the snowshoe track up through the woods and eventually puts you out on the top of marvel. It's gradual and on a road most of the time and well signed (it's a PLUM "official route" whatever that means).

From the lac lift we usually just go up off the side of the piste, and then once you get to the pinch point above the Vernant lift you can go over on an access road. It's hard to get much higher than that without being on the pistes.

In the Flaine bowl the best route is going up skinner's left of Serpentine, there's a road that has skin tracks all the way up to the intersection of Zeolite and Serpentine without being on piste. Then you can cross over Zeolite and go up between the pistes and can get all the way to Grands Platieres on the side of the plateau up there. Snow is very thin right now on the bottom of this, but good once you get up a bit.

It's been a decent workout for this season.... hoping it will keep me in shape for a brilliant second half of March for touring. Smile
snow conditions
Cheers for the info - I have to get there early Sunday, and can't be asked splashing for another ski pass when the uphill is more fun (the alternative is queuing for ages at the DMC?!)
snow report
Quote:

Cheers for the info - I have to get there early Sunday, and can't be asked splashing for another ski pass when the uphill is more fun (the alternative is queuing for ages at the DMC?!)

yeah no worries! you can obviously take the telebene boxcars up for free and then start your skin there. don't get discouraged by the poor (dirt) track at the very bottom next to the beginner's slope - it gets better as soon as you can get off on the road and was fine all the way up.

Re: the DMC - we never take the DMC unless there's no line in the express queue. It's usually much faster to take the Tete des Verds chair lift and then either Diamont Noir lift or Desert Blanc to the top. Wink
ski holidays
Super excited to see new snow being forecast for next week, even its a small amount...lets hope it stays cold for when we arrive 12th March Cool Cool Cool
snow report
Quote:

Super excited to see new snow being forecast for next week, even its a small amount...lets hope it stays cold for when we arrive 12th March

Looks like there's the chance for a pretty good dump if things keep lining up the way they are.... lots of variability but I'm starting to get a bit excited. Gonna wax the fatties today. Smile
latest report
Skied over to Vercland this morning. Grand Cret had good coverage. A bit variable but good fun carving top to bottom.
Aigle noir haut almost no snow at top so controlled slides order of day. Bumps on lower half: icy with roots showing through. Not recommended — red on right much better. All in all on piste in Samoens OK.
Agate mixture of fun and horrible bumps. No real lines.
Guy in lift told me best snow on Flaine side Pente a Jules off piste. Looked all right from DMC.
ski holidays
Hi.

Completed my first morning in Flaine. Snows not too bad at all in Flaine, when considering how little snow they’ve had. There are a few patches of ice and I think a lot of people have come over from surrounding ski area.

Snow is forecast mid week. It’s certainly needed, it is quite warm too so whether it snows lower down or not remains to be seen.

I’ve not seen so little snow on the way up to a resort in my life skiing but as I say above. Flaine is fine, enjoyed my morning. If you can ski reds, then they seem quieter.

Chris
snow report
Arrived in Morillon today and got out for a couple of runs at 2pm-ish. There's still skiing to village level, which is surprising given that it wasn't officially open when we were last here in January, when the last major snow fell. They took time opening bit by bit, and that seems to have paid off with pistes being better than i expected after the hammering they would have taken through half term. The pisteurs certainly know how to get the best from limited resources! The pistes themselves are far better than i expected, there's a LOT of man made snow around, even in places where the snow cannons aren't in evidence, but there's skiing to be had and that's good. The digital read out on the Chariande Express lift at Samoens 1600 (we went up from Vercland) read 18°, though it didn't feel that warm: maybe 10 or 12. Wasn't nearly that warm up at Tete des Saix, 2100m.

I'm glad we got out on arrival day, but i don't think we'll be hurrying out for first lift tomorrow: maybe 10, 10.30ish....
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
Arrived in Morillon today and got out for a couple of runs at 2pm-ish. There's still skiing to village level, which is surprising given that it wasn't officially open when we were last here in January, when the last major snow fell. They took time opening bit by bit, and that seems to have paid off with pistes being better than i expected after the hammering they would have taken through half term. The pisteurs certainly know how to get the best from limited resources! The pistes themselves are far better than i expected, there's a LOT of man made snow around, even in places where the snow cannons aren't in evidence, but there's skiing to be had and that's good. The digital read out on the Chariande Express lift at Samoens 1600 (we went up from Vercland) read 18°, though it didn't feel that warm: maybe 10 or 12. Wasn't nearly that warm up at Tete des Saix, 2100m.

I'm glad we got out on arrival day, but i don't think we'll be hurrying out for first lift tomorrow: maybe 10, 10.30ish....

I would definitely agree it’s better to go out later in the morning. It allows things to soften up a bit. We came home yesterday had a great week overall. The pisteurs for sure are earning their money but it’s mostly artificial snow. Only once before have we been able to ski to village level in Morillon in late Feb early march so they are really protecting what they’ve got but have to say snow is needed it was the worst underski conditions we’ve ever had but we still skied every day for a few hours so not the disaster it could have been. Enjoy your week and hopefully the forecast snow will arrive. We’re done for another season.
snow conditions
So in the end I skinned up the west side of the domain - Celestine, Cornaline. The idea was yo get to the Belvedere d'Aujon. But I chickened out and followed a group that was cutting off to reach the top of Grand Grenier via a ridge, which seemed more interesting. At times I wish I had my crampons as it was quite icy, but once over the ridge it was all powdery - a nice surprise except I couldn't enjoy it of course. I stopped there as continuing to the top of Aup Veran would mean take too much time - we had an afternoon program back in town.

So I ditched the skins and tried Belial, then back up via the teleski and did Lutin. At that point I wish I had my alpine gear.

Overall amazing conditions. It's just a real pain to get to the resort...
snow report
(Belial and Lutin were atrociously icy, mind you, by that time - around 11am - better enjoy them first thing at opening before hundreds of skiers scrap the nice corduroy)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Chars down to Coulouvier in great shape this morning. Almost deserted. Did three brisk laps.
ski holidays
It’s new - perhaps only to me? - that Corbalanche lift is only open at weekends and school holidays…means Portet is very busy at the end of the day.
latest report
@Freestyle, i only recall it running one day during the two weeks we were out in January. Perhaps it's part of the energy saving measures?
ski holidays
@nbt, That makes sense. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Just back from a long ladies weekend in the GM. The pistuers have done a brilliant job. Considering how little natural snow they have had to work with the pistes were in good shape. Often times even in good conditions Tourmaline can get cut up badly but they had worked v hard on it. Lots of hard pack underneath on slopes, so needed to keep wits about me. But I can also now safely say I have been swept off my feet by a handsome French man. Got taken out on Cristal of all places. Luckily did not need to be taken down and after gathering my courage was able to head to Blanchot for some chips and a Coke. He was just going too too fast, and was told off by another French woman for going too fast on a blue piste. Cupoire in LC was lovely as was Sairon down into Morrillon. Char was also running well but best to avoid too early, so it could soften up. Looking forward to the new zip line off the top of the Tete at Xmas...wonder if you have your skis strapped to your side?
snow report
It’s currently snowing in Flaine forum. Lite snow. Hopefully continues and the warmer weather stays away for all those coming next week.

I skied a little this morning and Flaine skied well
ski holidays
It's raining in Morillion village but snowing higher up.

Les Chars wasn't nice this morning, very hard packed in places, with too many skiers going to fast and out of control. Sorry you got taken out @Cheesie168, good that you're ok though. Was getting a bit windy higher up too.

Best runs were Sairon and Doina into Morillon village.
Bring on the snow.
ski holidays
It’s snowing heavily in centre of Les Carroz right now
snow report
Lots of light snow in Flaine.
latest report
These snow reports are very welcome! Thanks all.

None weather related but am I right in thinking it’s not possible to ski from the top of Aup de Veran directly down to Grand Vans?
snow report
Quote:

it’s not possible to ski from the top of Aup de Veran directly down to Grand Vans?

Correct, best you can do is ski to the dmc and take the telebenne yoghurt pots
latest report
It can be done, but involves a traverse off piste between almandine and faust.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy