Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
I wonder how extraordinary is this for such substantial closures in January? Do any veterans of Grand Massif remember if this happened before or how often?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 10-01-23 9:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.meteo-haute-savoie.fr/actualit%C3%A9-m%C3%A9t%C3%A9o/arriv%C3%A9e-de-la-neige-%C3%A0-partir-de-dimanche-en-montagne-altitude-et-quantit%C3%A9s-de-neige-pr%C3%A9vues/?fbclid=IwAR3BcintxSsrDTbJBNtPFljfJhXqLeq3_Rragc_jBx47wCZc0fEr8Vt7ncg

Really promising news! Heading out this this Saturday for a week so fingers crossed Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been getting all optimistic from a very low starting point about our trip out next week on the 13th, and then read the area's bulletin from yesterday just to bring me back down a bit!!! Crying or Very sad

NEWS FROM THE 05/01/23

Flaine ski area remains accessible to skiers equipped with a pre-purchased skipass and to those staying in the resort (daily sales). An additional quota of a few hundred skipasses is available every day, exclusively via online purchase on grand-massif.com. The skiing conditions are satisfactory in most of the open sectors, with the exception of the restricted runs back to the resort for which we have been carrying out daily consolidation work so far.

The ski areas of Les Carroz and the Giffre Valley (Morillon, Samoëns and Sixt) remain closed, with the exception of:
- the beginner sector of Samoëns,
- Morillon and Grand Massif Express gondolas in Samoëns.
with decisions on a day-to-day basis as to whether to extend, depending on conditions and visitor numbers.

Buses to Flaine are being specially laid on from certain stations. Please contact the tourist office for details.

The weather forecasts do not offer any certainty as to a positive evolution with regards to opening our ski area.
At best, we could expect some weather disturbances early next week, allowing us to consider a potential reopening after several days of piste maintenance, snow production and making the accessible areas safe.
The experience of skiers and their safety remains our priority.
A reopening the day after a snowfall is absolutely not realistic given the state of the snowpack and the ground in many places.

In any case, we can’t wait to see skiers on all of the Grand Massif ski slopes again!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They would be mad to open straight after a say 30cm fall. They will want some time of cold temps to run snow cannons and get a base compacted down on the pistes, and potentially move snow from elsewhere onto the pistes.

If everyone flocked out onto 20-30cms of fresh it would be trashed by the end of the day. Better to sacrifice a few more days or so now, to makes sure they get and keep whatever snow falls this weekend / next week, for as long as it takes until the next falls.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah would you suspect the entire resort would be closed following the snowfall then?

Quite worried now as we only have ski days from Sunday-Friday Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tanvir_a wrote:
Ah would you suspect the entire resort would be closed following the snowfall then?

Quite worried now as we only have ski days from Sunday-Friday Crying or Very sad

This is absolutely the right approach ...
I would suspect that there would be a gradual opening over the course of next week - they will first make whatever is open now safe (pack down, supplement base with artificial etc) and then start adding more runs / links in a controlled manner.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How do you select "I accept" for a weather forecast - I would like to lock this one in:

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Carroz lift office says earliest opening may be Thursday 12th Jan if all expected low temps. and snow arrives. fingers are crossed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pouring with rain down here in Les Carroz, looking at the peak opposite us across the valley snow line is at about 1800 metres ish
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are in Flaine at 1750 and snowing here.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're arriving on 21st. I must admit to some nerves. Can someone reassure me that there will be plenty of skiing open by then?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tccambs where are you staying?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Can someone reassure me that there will be plenty of skiing open by then?

Nobody honest who knows what they're talking about. But the odds are it'll be a lot better than Christmas/New Year.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Can someone reassure me that there will be plenty of skiing open by then?

Nobody honest who knows what they're talking about. But the odds are it'll be a lot better than Christmas/New Year.
latest report
BAN wrote:
@tccambs where are you staying?

Central Flaine, bottom of grands vans
snow conditions
Even if everything isn't open, there won't be the horrendous crowding which was a feature of Christmas/New Year. Much better week to go.
snow report
By time you get here @tccambs things will be in great shape!
snow conditions
BAN wrote:
By time you get here @tccambs things will be in great shape!

Thanks for understanding the assignment, which was to cheer me up Eh oh!
snow report
First day today, we drove up to Avoriaz for a bit, snow was ok ish... No rain up there. Went to Ardent, and went up the bubble and the chair above... vis was poor, but the snow as ok, but mushing up in the pm.

Pouring where we are (Villiaz on the back side of Mt Chery). We screwed ourselves choosing this spot, cos the lift over the top to LG is 5 mins away. But all Mt Chery is closed. Hey ho. It will change sometime.
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, wrong thread Very Happy (though not far off!)
ski holidays
I just spent 10 mins looking on the other one for my post! Very Happy @denfinella,
latest report
tccambs wrote:
We're arriving on 21st. I must admit to some nerves. Can someone reassure me that there will be plenty of skiing open by then?

Same! We are arriving on the 21st too into Samoens hoping all the forecast snow arrives and sticks!
latest report
Same our group arrives into Samoens from 29th Jan hopefully it snows all your week as well Smile
snow report
We very sadly decided to flip our trip out this Friday 13th to Val D'Isere. Somewhat fortunate that our accommodation in Samoens is from a friend, so they were happy for us to cancel without payment, and the lift pass office said they would refund us when I called on Saturday. We are driving down anyway so travel is irrelevant. Hopefully by doing so, we have guaranteed good snow for the area, and the forecast looks good, but the uncertainty of the freezing level did it for me in the end.

I have been so worried/nervous/constantly checking and now I'm just relaxed and stoked for our upcoming trip.

I am disappointed though as was looking forward to heading back for the first time in 7 years and showing my friends the area too, especially Marvel!!
snow conditions
Yeah I tried to cancel our Samoens accom but was going to cost 700 euros so we decided we’ll hire a 6 seater or 2 cars and have to travel each day maybe to a diff resort if necessary. Got to make the best of it I guess fingers crossed it’s ok by feb so we get some days at least.
snow conditions
@Fintown21, 29 January is several weather systems away. Absolutely no reason to be so pessimistic at this stage.
latest report
I'll be there on Saturday and I'm relatively optimistic!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah I tried to cancel our Samoens accom but was going to cost 700 euros so we decided we’ll hire a 6 seater or 2 cars and have to travel each day maybe to a diff resort if necessary. Got to make the best of it I guess fingers crossed it’s ok by feb so we get some days at least.
latest report
Leonard Smalls wrote:
I'll be there on Saturday and I'm relatively optimistic!

I was keeping the optimism going, but as a group we decided to change for a bit more surety, given we were lucky enough to be able to do so at relatively little financial penalty (bar the accommodation and lift passes are more at Val)

I really hope you have a great week Smile
snow conditions
dunc999 wrote:

I really hope you have a great week Smile

Cheers!
You too!
I have packed full winter mountaineering gear just in case...
ski holidays
It is snowing heavily in Les Carroz village just now. Fingers crossed we get lots more
latest report
Has there been any update on what they expect to open by the weekend? Due in Samoens Club med on Sunday but not hopeful it’s going to be up to much. Club Med will move us to Vallandry if the slopes are closed and the snow looks pretty reasonable there, just worried that a few slopes get opened in Samoens and we stuck with crap for the week
latest report
Have you signed up for lessons, @Posidrive? A good instructor can do a lot with a few slopes and it's a good use of a mediocre-conditions week.
ski holidays
See you in vallandry or samoens posi drive. Suspect I am in the same group as you!
ski holidays
We get lessons/guiding as standard with CM. Skied down to Samoens when the snow was nowhere near as bad last year and hit a rock and ice field that was meant to be piste so was hoping for much better this year
snow report
pennineskier wrote:
See you in vallandry or samoens posi drive. Suspect I am in the same group as you!
Lol. Could very well be from the sound of it.Just want some decent ish snow this year to make up for the ski base wrecker of last years trip Eh oh!
ski holidays
Posidrive wrote:
Has there been any update on what they expect to open by the weekend? Due in Samoens Club med on Sunday but not hopeful it’s going to be up to much. Club Med will move us to Vallandry if the slopes are closed and the snow looks pretty reasonable there, just worried that a few slopes get opened in Samoens and we stuck with crap for the week

Did CM confirm that with you re moving? We are meant to be at CM from 21st for 2weeks.. have reached out to them for options bit no reply as yet.. that being said Im hoping all will be fine by the 21st...
ski holidays
We were in Les Carroz visiting friends last week. On Friday 6th we went for a walk - the boucle de malatrait which is meant to be a snow shoe route but it was all easily done in regular walking boots. We did a bit extra and walked up to the top of the Sairon chair where there was absolutely no snow. We also walked past parts of the marvel green run which was also just mud except in the very shady corners. I think they need at least 40cm of snow before the resort will open. Realistically I think it will stay shut for another 10 days.
ski holidays
I notice there is banner on the homepage of lescarroz.com directing requests for information on the closure to the tourist office, has anyone tried that since the recent change in weather and received a response regarding the earliest possible opening? I sent a message this morning, will post the reply when/if I get one

EDIT: reply below

We thank you for your request.

We currently have no information on the reopening of the ski lifts.
The staff is currently checking the snow conditions, grooming the area and preparing the slopes.
We should have more information by the end of the day. I invite you to contact us again tomorrow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy