Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl or Hochgurgl Ski School?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Eh oh!

We are heading to Obergurgl on our first family ski trip in a few weeks. I have read the runs are better in Hochgurgl and it gets more sun. So I am not sure wether I should put the children in the Hochgurgl ski school. But we are staying very close to the Obergurgl ski school meeting point. Also not sure wether I would be able to ski Hochgurgl and get back to Obergurgl for the children at lunch time. Really not sure what to do for the best! Any advice would be extremely welcome. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're staying in Obergurgl, I'd suggest just putting your kids in ski school in Obergurgl. You'd need to get a bus then lift up to Hochgurgl, which would be a pain and you might struggle to make the meeting time in the morning. (You'd never make it using the Top Express lift.)

It's definitely possible to ski the morning in Hochgurgl and get back. The Top Express isn't the fastest lift, but I've done it in the past. Is ski school definitely only the morning? My daughter's lessons in Austria, Obergurgl included, were all day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you for replying!

Yes the lessons are all day. I thought if Hochgurgl was a better mountain to ski that perhaps that would be the best ski school option.

How did your daughter find the lessons?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@REM1, I'd agree that it makes more sense to use the Obergurgl ski school and there's plenty of good runs there. I've been there a few times for off piste weeks and the group I was with used the ski school. They were excellent. Do you know what time the lessons start and finish and what time the lunch break is? Sometimes it can be 10-12 followed by lunch and then 2-4 in the afternoon. That wouldn't allow you much time to get over to Hoch & back as the link between the two is a "horizontal" gondola that takes 12 minutes each way + any queue and boarding time. Depending on what level the children are at, the instructor may well take them over to Hoch as part of the lesson, so you could possibly meet them there for lunch.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The lessons are the same time at both Hochgurgl and Obergurgl 10-12, lunch, then 2-4. Thanks for the advice. I think if we want to ski in Hochgurgl we should base them there. As we will struggle to get back across to Obergurgl - and won’t get much skiing done! The reviews and videos i’ve watched online suggest Hochgurgl is better than Obergurgl. This is my third trip and the children’s first.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We are only skiing for three days, so really want to get it right!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Getting the kids over to Hochgurgl for 10 would be a total pita
Getting back could also involve a lot of hanging about.
As they are beginners Top Express lift is not an option for them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They have done three ski courses at an indoor slope but never been on real snow. Consensus so far is Obergurgl!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As it's your children's first trip, I'd definitely base them in Obergurgl. You are near to the ski school meeting point, so less faff & stress in the morning. Will you also be having lessons?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No, no lessons for us. I think perhaps we are being selfish and it would be easier on the children to be in ski school at Obergurgl.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As the kids are beginners, Obergurgl makes more sense to me. I've been lots of times when my son was in ski school. There are two beginners areas the ski school use, one near the Hotel Hochfirst, the other nearer the Edelweiss off the main ski area. After that they go on to the main ski area.

The entire area isn't big and it was possible for me to ski to Hochgurgl and back in the 2hr window to collect him. Doing it that way does waste a bit of time on the top express but it gives your legs a rest. It will take a few visits over to complete all the runs in Hochgurgl doing it that way. You won't be able to do all the runs and back again in 2 hrs unless you ski like a downhill racer !

There are good runs in both resorts and if it's bad visibility it's probably better in Obergurgl because Hochgurgl is like skiing on the moon in whiteout conditions (except for run 25 down to the valley which is great)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the reply. We are staying in apartments right next to the Edelweiss.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
REM1 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. We are staying in apartments right next to the Edelweiss.

That's the best location in town, we have stayed in the Edelweiss quite a few times, it's right next to the two main lifts. It's also close to the beginners area which they use for the first day or two of classes (depending how quick classes progress)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would suggest Obergurgl school and just ski there and get across to Hochgurgl for some skiing if you really wanted. With the 12 min Top Gondola each way, plus skiing back down to Obergurgl school meeting point, it still leaves you about 1h 10 mins to ski Hochgurl if they are doing 10 to 12pm. You could do quite a few runs in that time. It's enough to get up to the Schermer gondola and down, then up to the 3,000m+ bar via Wurmkogl I+II lift and down back to the Top Gondola. Possibly enough time to ski back down to the Hochgurgl school meet point and get a chairlift back up and nip back to the Top Gondola to get back to Obergurgl.

Depending on how fast you ski, it could be anything from 5mins to 15 mins to ski down from Wurmkogl I lift back to the Top gondola. I'm a solid Intermediate, nearing Advanced and I could do it in 5:20 if I don't stop. 7mins is a comfortable time for me with a couple of short stops. It's a 2.4km long slope back to Top gondola, if you do small to medium turns. My sis, nervous and slow and steady, almost like an improving beginner is 15 mins with several stops along the way.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for everyone’s advice. I really appreciate it. This is my first time organising a ski trip and it’s very overwhelming. Hopefully everyone will have a great time and it will be the first of many snow adventures!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy