Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Utah (or US) Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
My lads groups first post COVID away trip was meant to be to Hokkaido this next season, but sadly it doesn't look like they'll be opening up to foreign tourist skiers any time soon, so we're rethinking.

There looks to be a half dozen blokes able make the trip this year; all 50+ so wild apres isn't a big consideration, but decent beer and food is enjoyed.

My first thought was Canada but, as we were there just before COVID, a couple of them wanted to try somewhere else. I've been to Utah before (and the snow was outstanding) so I thought we could try there.

We think we can sneak up to 14 days for this one, so would probably look to stay in at least two different areas whilst we were there. I just wondered which two anyone with experience would choose as I only stayed in Snowbird, with a daytrip to Deer Valley.

Or we could look at something totally different; they just about do whatever I suggest anyway.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mosha Marc, we have stayed in SLC and Park City. Thinking about maybe going over again this season. Anyhoo, either worked, PC had less congestion, although SLC wasn't that bad, iirc. We very much liked Solitude. But there's not much there, hence the name.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're doing SLC for 2 weeks buy an Ikon pass and fit in Jackson Hole as well, stay in Evanston on the way back and you can hit DV the next morning. I've found staying in the Sandy/Midvale area has advantages over being in resort costwise and for dining options and you can even take in hockey or basketball in the evening but obviously you miss out on the odd occasion when LCC is closed to traffic. flipside of that is you can get interlodged in Snowbird and Alta - awesome conditions when it lifts but basically imprisonment during.

Traffic everywhere has got worse over time - park at Jordanelle for DV, get up BCC or LCC early for other resorts (or stay up there).

Other option with an Ikon is do a loop out of Denver - hit Winter Park, Steamboat, Aspen/Snowmass via Glenwood Springs and Copper and A Basin on the way back. No distance more than you can drive after skiing or with a midway overnight and early start.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 22-08-22 18:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I was thinking of staying in SLC, but can remember the access to LCC being shut while we were there which put me off a bit. We were only interlodged during the previous night; do they sometimes do it during the day as well?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What month are you contemplating?

First on the Canada vs US thing. I don’t understand that. Canada is a big country. If you were in Whistler pre-pandemic, you could go to Banff for this one and it will be a completely different experience. Or vice versa.

That said, US is a big country too. So besides Utah, candidates for a 2-week-2-location “region” that came to my head right away:

- California: you have Mammoth and Tahoe to choose from. And even in Tahoe, you can split between south and north Tahoe. As it’s a lad’s trip, assuming you want heart stopping terrain occasionally, Squaw and Kirkwood comes to mind. Heavenly, Alpine Meadow and North star are all well rounded runners-up.

Colorado: The list is rather long. Aspen, Vail/Breckinridge, Steamboat, Crested Butte are all good bases. Some people like Copper too. I can vouch for good skiing but had no experience in apres options.

One-location bases worth long stay: Jackson Hole, Big Sky, maybe Taos. Of those, Jackson is my favorite.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Before you commit definitively check out prices of accomodation. I saw someone recently reporting of Altabird lodging prices going thru the roof and I know you're a yorkshireman.

Interlodge can apply during the day if it's a big storm and they can't see to fire the howitzers or run charges. Think they've installed some Gasex now though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which month are you going?
Personally I think Tahoe snow (whilst it can be abundant) is too volatile to commit too far in advance.
If thinking Utah you could stay in Ogden for a while and check out Snowbasin and Powder Mountain.
Also Sun Valley in Idaho is easily doable from Salt Lake - about the same distance as Jackson is. Then there’s Grand Targhee too. Spoiled for choice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sbooker wrote:
Which month are you going?
Personally I think Tahoe snow (whilst it can be abundant) is too volatile to commit too far in advance.

But by March, it should be pretty reliable baring a very unlucky draught year
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
we can pick most dates at the moment. we're thinking something like 21 January to 4 February.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Before you commit definitively check out prices of accomodation. I saw someone recently reporting of Altabird lodging prices going thru the roof and I know you're a yorkshireman.

It has already been noted and frowned at, as has the price of lift tickets ffs!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@abc, we did a half powder highway tour in BC. I think it's more the draw of another country for some reason
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lift tix aren't such an issue if you commit to an Ikon or Mtn collective.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mosha Marc, you could close your eyes and throw two darts at Utah and have a pretty good time. But if you could give us a clue or two we could help more. As in...
1. budget? (Full range available: motels in SLC or posh places in resorts where you have already stayed)
2. inclination to focus at just a couple places, or move around and sample? (both work, but Utah is made to sample)
3. ability level of the group? (guessing high)

Utah has everything, but some of the famous areas have some big holes, and some of the lesser-known areas have superior skiing. Examples of both: Snowbird has tons of great steeps, and not one really good cruiser. Snowbasin has the best and longest cruisers, though its off by itself a bit (and is thus less crowded).

Popping up to Targhee and or JH works well if you are inclined. Sun Valley is also good but needlessly further from Utah. Ditto Big Sky, which I found disappointing, both for terrain (too flat or steep) and cost (highest of anyplace I've been). If you end up in that part of the world just stay at Targhee (new big chair this season, serves former catskiing area) and Jackson (no better ski area on the continent).

Don't worry about interlodge events (Altabird). They are rare, and when they happen it is dumping so if you are stuck up there you'll get yours eventually, and if you are somewhere else it is also snowing and you are not stuck. Its usually 6-8am while they are figuring out what in the hell to do with Little Cottonwood Cyn road, which is avalanche central. I believe the longest ever IL was about 2.5 days. They do produce some good stories, like "I skied down in untracked bottomless blower powder and skied into the maze, alone, again and again." Wish it had been me!

Elsewhere? I'd say bounce around Tahoe, the king of spring skiing. Get your steeps at Palisade or Kirkwood, trees and cruising at Heavenly, blast down to Mammoth for anything including a pretty good town. The area between Lake Tahoe and Mammoth is notably beautiful as well. I saw a comment about the snow in the Sierras being "volatile". It is true that it stays away for longer intervals than most places, and when it comes, it comes bigger than anywhere in NA. But mainly, by March most of both of those conditions are over with and there's enough coverage to run well into April even in bad years. I was there in April this year and April and May last year-all great.

Decide where you want to go and then check Ikon and Epic for pass strategies.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:

Popping up to Targhee and or JH works well if you are inclined. Sun Valley is also good but needlessly further from Utah. Ditto Big Sky, which I found disappointing, both for terrain (too flat or steep) and cost (highest of anyplace I've been).

“Popping up” to Sun Valley, Big Sky or even Jackson Hole wouldn’t be my suggestion. But of course it’s not me organizing the trip.

The reason I’m against those aren’t because they’re bad mountains. It’s just, as good as they are, there’re plenty of variety in the SLC area that are just as good without the 5 hour drive!

On the other hand, I had suggested to base out of Jackson, or Big Sky without all the “popping” around!

Quote:
If you end up in that part of the world just stay at Targhee (new big chair this season, serves former catskiing area) and Jackson (no better ski area on the continent).

Yep, STAY at Jackson, with side trips to Targhee. Not running all over the continent.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc wrote:
@abc, we did a half powder highway tour in BC. I think it's more the draw of another country for some reason

So your gang like to bounce around.

But Utah isn’t like any other place. Salt Lake City alone, has 4 mountains! Park City next door has one very big one. An hour north, you have 2 more very good mountains. That’s you powder highway….without the highway!

Jackson Hole isn’t very big. But it’s very densely packed with terrain features. Plus all the side country. That’s not to mention Targhee just an hour away.

Leaving Salt Lake City to go to Jackson, you will do neither place justice.

So pick one or the other. Salt Lake City, or Jackson. There’re plenty on either place. You can go to the other one in a separate 14 day trip at a later date.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 23-08-22 1:02; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
They do produce some good stories, like "I skied down in untracked bottomless blower powder and skied into the maze, alone, again and again." Wish it had been me!

The final day of my one trip to Utah was like that, the road was closed most of the day for avalanche clearing so hardly anyone else skiing. Just lapped the same lift at Alta, by the time I got back to the top my tracks were gone, read later it was snowing four inches per hour.
ski holidays
Quote:
Before you commit definitively check out prices of accomodation. I saw someone recently reporting of Altabird lodging prices going thru the roof
Yep! Seems the same for US skiing overall...The one affordable but basic hotel we stayed at in Snowmass three or four years ago has gone from £90 a night in low season to about £200 Shocked

It was the cheapest place we could find at the time to ski Aspen. Won't be going back at those prices... Confused
ski holidays
It may be worth checking out UK hotel prices as a reference; you may be surprised that they are now also considerably higher than they were pre-pandemic.
I shifted to dollars in 2016 so I get my US inflation without any Brexit benefits.

----
On the OP... it's good to travel around. As people said, if you're going to Utah the obvious thing to do is stay in SLC, which I've done a few times. You can use a car or busses to get to the local resorts, and Powder Mountain's just up the road. Snowbird isn't great if the snow's not great; I can't imagine it's a great place to stay either (the resort manages all the food... and it's generally best avoided).

Me, I'd either go to Wyoming/ Montana, or go to the PNW, or go to SLC, or go to Colorado, or go somewhere else in BC, or go to New Mexico etc. Work out where the snow is, then go there. The trick is to go to one area with a lot of hills within reach, not to try to ride Crystal Mountain one day and Taos the next.
snow report
Quote:

It may be worth checking out UK hotel prices as a reference; you may be surprised that they are now also considerably higher than they were pre-pandemic.
I shifted to dollars in 2016 so I get my US inflation without any Brexit benefits.

We were in UK this summer, hotels, car hire, air b n b . it was all shocking. I think its a global thing
snow conditions
@abc, I think one thing to bear in mind is that for many Europeans, jogging around mountains is somewhat expected. E.g. the Portes du Soleil is around 250,000 acres (and something around 11 ski resorts on one pass) - not that that's all readily skiable of course. But it changes the idea of the general topography.

Personally, I do agree with you, unless you have a good few weeks, UT and WY are not really things you want to cram in. But the euros are somewhat spoiled for breadth of terrain. In some ways.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@abc, I think one thing to bear in mind is that for many Europeans, jogging around mountains is somewhat expected. E.g. the Portes du Soleil is around 250,000 acres (and something around 11 ski resorts on one pass) - not that that's all readily skiable of course. But it changes the idea of the general topography.

But that’s to a degree what I was trying to address. 1. The “breadth” of the land, aka distance between mountains are huge; 2. The “size” of resorts, i.e. km of piste is tiny.

The contradiction between intermountain distance and km piste within a resort, demands a change of mentality when planning for skiing in North America. In short, that “spoil for breadth” will simply lead to a lot of driving and maybe a lot of groomer cruising but not a lot of “good skiing”.

Back to the OP, his cohort had skied in North America before. So they’re familiar with that contradiction. I made my suggestions based on them being decent skiers looking to do something different than what they get in Europe. Aimless driving isn’t one of such.
snow report
@abc, I see your point. But if they enjoyed an aimless driving holiday last time ... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
I wouldn't describe us as decent; two are instructors, but they are very old and slow! We don't mind the odd day touring though if it means finding untracked stuff.

Not too keen on the aimless driving either, which is why Utah looked better to us than most US areas; as there seem to be a few areas within an easy drive. The powder highway trip only took in three stations.

One of the group seems to be getting a bit above his station now and suggests just sitting in Park City for the full stay, but having a couple of big cars for trips to other areas. That's on the basis that there are more bars there than at Solitude. Is that a sensible plan?
snow report
@Mosha Marc, I think there's one bar in Solitude. There are definitely more in PC.
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc, yes it is a sensible plan. PC is a decent little ski town, really the only one in UT. Many, including me think it is only an ok ski area, but there are plenty of better ones within an hour.

Couple other more esoteric things to consider: if you're tired, head down to Sundance for an old-school day on slow lifts with a dash of culture. On the other hand, check out the Utah Interconnect if you want that "odd day of touring".
snow conditions
Thanks guys
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:

One of the group seems to be getting a bit above his station now and suggests just sitting in Park City for the full stay, but having a couple of big cars for trips to other areas. That's on the basis that there are more bars there than at Solitude. Is that a sensible plan?

There’s no doubt apres is considerably better at Park City, if only the snow is just as good. Wink

Mind you, Park City isn’t a bad mountain. It’s just there’re several mountains that are way better still. Especially in terms of snow quality.

In short, it’s not a bad plan to base out of Park City for the best of both world. But you’ll be paying for it. And also you MAY end up doing a lot of driving to the “other side”…
snow report
Quote:
There’s no doubt apres is considerably better at Park City, if only the snow is just as good.
The good news: We had the same quality snow for 10 days between Park City, Deer Valley, Alta and Snowbird during our only Utah ski trip one January a few years back.

The bad news: It was perfect packed powder and groomers everywhere. Wall to wall sun and not a single powder turn for our entire stay.
Naturally, it absolutely dumped the day after we left.

C'est la vie! $h1 t happens and you can't guarantee powder anywhere.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did a weekend in Alta / Snowbird and one at Jackson Hole. Both in good conditions. The terrain in JH was in a different league IMO.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
I wouldn't describe us as decent; two are instructors, but they are very old and slow! We don't mind the odd day touring though if it means finding untracked stuff.

Not too keen on the aimless driving either, which is why Utah looked better to us than most US areas; as there seem to be a few areas within an easy drive. The powder highway trip only took in three stations.

This plan makes sense it's what we did and worked perfectly. Managed to fit in Brighton, Snowbird, solitude and canyons. Rented a car on 3 separate occasions and also got in a hockey game in SLC. Haven't been back to PC as the prices have rocketed since we went but JH is an interesting prop so could work well as a 2 resort trip.
ski holidays
I did a trip to the Rockies just before covid hit in 2020. I flew into SLC, rented a SUV and drove to Big Sky for a week and then a weekend at Jackson Hole. I returned to Utah and stayed in Sandy, which is an all too easy public bus ride to Alta/Snowbird. I had an extra day at Brighton/Solitude. This is the best skiing in the Rockies outside of Colorado. It was easy to do, in large part, because I had the Ikon pass. I'd do it again, mosdef.
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc, There are only two rules for a US ski trip.

1: Choose a ski area and buy a season ticket as soon as they are released.

2: Buy an Ikon Pass and construct an itinerary around it.

Day pass prices are little more than having a proctologist look for your wallet and US ski areas are rarely similar to EU ones. At weekends anywhere near a major conurbation most resorts are verminous anthills of self-entitled scum . . . I'm being polite . . .

It's difficult to recommend any resort with the Globe's climate having a brainfаrt, but basing yersen in Frisco CO you have easy access to near a dozen great hill complex that are not subject to a single weather impact, unlike Park City etc.

Basing yourself in SLC is a good economics but getting up the gullies to the slopes can be described as best as "Fxxx this for a game of soldiers" when you need to be up, bright eyed and bushy tailed before sparrowfart.

One of your best options may be to hire a campervan to tour in. There are many potential pitfalls with this but also many advantages. If you go that way, send me a PM and I'll run through the pros v cons.
latest report
Quote:

“Popping up” to Sun Valley, Big Sky or even Jackson Hole wouldn’t be my suggestion.

There is an element of fomo with Europeans going to n America. They want to cram in lots of places in a single trip. Bases like SLC and Dillon/Frisco in CO offer a whole season of good skiing across multiple resorts. Nobody would suggest a n American coming to Europe to try and visit the French Alps, Swiss Alps, and dolomites in a single trip even though that's probably considerably less driving time.

Yes n American resorts are smaller, but with in bounds off piste you get more bang for your buck. If you want lots of piste crusing over big distances Europe is a better option. If you want lots of easily accessible off piste most of the n American destination resorts will keep you more than busy.
snow conditions
@boarder2020, "Nobody would suggest a n American coming to Europe to try and visit the French Alps, Swiss Alps, and dolomites in a single trip even though that's probably considerably less driving time. "

There have been not a few requests on here for advice on doing exactly that ...
ski holidays
@under a new name, perhaps there have been requests. It's the same mentality - I'm travelling a long way I want to see everything while I'm there. I'd like to think the majority of Europeans would say it's not a great plan though
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@boarder2020, "Nobody would suggest a n American coming to Europe to try and visit the French Alps, Swiss Alps, and dolomites in a single trip even though that's probably considerably less driving time. "

There have been not a few requests on here for advice on doing exactly that ...

Is that a good plan?
ski holidays
I've skied a lot of places in N America but have to say Park City was just about the worst of them. Over maybe 4 visits across both PC Canyons and DV I've never had a powder day nor anything really worth skiing off piste. It's totally fine but given where you'll be there is better skiing IMV almost anywhere else.
snow conditions
Very left field - or right field on the map - Turkey.

Big mountains, great snow, top people, loads of variety, wonderful food & drink, culture, closer to UK

Cheap as poo-poo.
ski holidays
I agree with@Dave of the Marmottes. PC is just an ok ski area. The terrain is not great...lots of short runs that are face/flat or flat/face. Off the top of my head, at least six Utah areas are better...except for the town, which is really the only "ski town" in Utah. Which makes it a good base for sampling the better areas all around it. They do get the good Utah snow, though a little less of it than the Cottonwood canyons.

As for "driving time": if anyone views that as a problem, maybe road trips aren't for you and that's totally fine. I lean hard the other way. I love to drive, and my journeys through the Alps and the vast American West are as much fun to reflect on as the skiing. Road tripping is a little different over here; not so much worry about chains...we don't own them anymore.

The road is calling. That one is NV-140, and there isn't a soul for 50 miles in any direction. Have you ever been in such a place?
ski holidays
Quote:

That one is NV-140, and there isn't a soul for 50 miles in any direction. Have you ever been in such a place?

Yes, I have. Not incline to repeat, if I can help it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy