Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Supposed to be going to LDA at the start of the season. I was just browsing the website and looked at the piste map and noticed that Signal chair and Signal the piste aren’t shown at all.
Also Vallee Blanche and Diable are now shown as mixed lifts which I believe are some chairs and some gondolas on the same bits of cable.
Anyone in LDA care to comment or give a snow report please
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Honeybadgerversion2, from a LDA based ski instructor Charlotte Swift (Easiski):
Sad news today. Signal will not be opening this winter. Apparently the melting of the glacier has made it too dangerous. Many will miss it. Lovely piste.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Charlotte,
Thanks for the reply. That’s a shame about Signal it was one of my favourite runs.
Pete
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
maybe because lack of use v running cost? Signal does not lead to anywhere & anyone who ski's down has to get the lift back up.
Melting glacier indeed. It is not going to melt when it 0c!!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alastair Pink, what’s the snow like in LDA right now .We need to decide whether to travel down for opening week? Looking on the webcams the glacier looks ‘a bit rough’ and lower slopes barely covered.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Honeybadgerversion2 wrote:
@Alastair Pink, what’s the snow like in LDA right now .We need to decide whether to travel down for opening week? Looking on the webcams the glacier looks ‘a bit rough’ and lower slopes barely covered.

I've no more idea than you since I'm not in LDA! Laughing The information I posted about Signal was from a FB post by Charlotte Swift, the LDA based ski instructor.

My advice is just to keep watching the webcams (and snow forecasts).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair Pink, doh ! That explains a lot . Thanks will do
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sad news about Signal lift Sad

The conditions far from great, dont have to be on resort to see that, its been warmest October in history (almost) and only little snow in November (20-30 cm so far).
I was planning to drive to France, but it looks like snow condition is little bit better in Austria, so my plan to wait for end of next week, check forecast and go accordingly. Hopefully the weather improves.
Cheers
Ed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi we are are off soon too.
I believe the diable is now a mixed gondola/chair.

Seen there’s a new restaurant at top of vallee Blanche too. Not skied that side for a while as usually go Easter
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gored wrote:
maybe because lack of use v running cost? Signal does not lead to anywhere & anyone who ski's down has to get the lift back up.
Melting glacier indeed. It is not going to melt when it 0c!!!

Surely, all pistes lead only to the bottom whence the only option is to get a lift up…?

And there are pics of the large crevasse towards the bottom of Signal which has made it too dangerous to ski.

How do you manage to be so poorly informed on such a wide range of subjects? It’s seriously impressive but not in a good way rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In LDA at the moment.
First day out today and although opening is limited snow is sufficient and nice.
Glacier open but not furnicular . Fee , Vallee Blanche side and below Cretes closed.
More snow this week so I am counting myself lucky!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Official statement on the Signal piste situation

Quote:

This summer’s heat wave unfortunately caused a significant amount of water to flow under the ice cap all the way to the bottom of the Signal resulting in the formation of sub-glacial vaults measuring several tens of metres.
The very thin layer of ice and snow covering these cavities makes it impossible for all skiers and any motorised vehicle (snow groomer, snowmobile, etc.) to access the bottom of the slope.
For these safety and security reasons, the entire Signal sector (lifts and slopes) will thus remain closed with access forbidden for the entire winter, under municipal bylaw.
In consultation with experts, our teams are currently studying ad hoc solutions and repair works that could eventually allow this sector to reopen to the public.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gored, Signal has always been very well used when I've been to LDA. A great sector/run. On the map it looks like the sort of run that no one would use because the run doesn't go anywhere. But it's a fantastic piste
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello. Anyone who knows how to book tickets for the helicopter trip to Alpe d' Huez?

Also, what would be the easiest way to get to the tarentaise valley, on a saturday using public transportation? I figure taking a bus from 2 Alpes to Grenoble and then train to Moutiers or Bourg Saint Maurice. But what bus am i supposed to get on in 2 Alpes, and do i need to book a ticket in advance?

Thanks. Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bülow,
Grenoble Gare Routierre to Les Deux Alpes

https://www.transaltitude.fr/media/filer_public/51/87/5187dc85-e162-438b-9d8f-641efba6d918/2_alpes.pdf

You do need a ticket in advance. When I have used the system, I have always booked it before leaving home. However, you could book from your mobile without much trouble, I think. Probably from the ticket office at the Gare Routiere, too*. I have bever seen the bus full. But then again, I avoid peak times! I don't know what happens if through not fault of your own you arrive late at Gare Routiere - but suspect if you explained what had happened you'd be allowed on the next bus.

The bus is a very good service, and I like the feeling of being with the locals as I go up the mountain. Part of the holiday for me.

* Though for some reason it was shut last time I was there - in 2019, IIRC.
ski holidays
@Bülow,https://www.skipass-2alpes.com/en/helicoptere

We are picking up our ski passes on Saturday and are going to try and book the helicopter at the same time for next week.
snow conditions
@achilles thanks! I've been looking at it, and it seems allright. Have you just booked tickets on the web page? Think i read somewhere that it should be booked at the tourist office.? I'm heading from the resort to grenoble on the 28th. Smile

@surferrosa thanks. Looks like it is booked at the skipass office. Hopefully it's not sold out on sunday. Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 21-01-23 16:08; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@Bülow, sorry for my slightly hazy memory. Digging back I now recall that I have booked successfully from the booking office at Gare Routiere. OTOH I have also been there wine the office was closed, so I must have booked on line. I have booked tickets in advance form the company office at LDA, but I would also expect to be able to buy them at the Tourist Office.

It's been 3 years since I have been there. I have hopes of gong again this season, but I have a major long-haul trip to sort out first.
snow conditions
I'm going in a couple of weeks.
I know that the helicopter from LDA to AD'H is 85 Euro's return.
I would like to know about the alternatives to this.
I know that Telecabin Venosc gets you to a bus system to AD'H, does anybody know if the earlier buses are usually full or have ample space.
Are there many places in LDA where you could get a shared transfer to AD'H and back?
What sort of terrain does the Telecabin Venosc go over, is it hikeable?, I don't want to climb on rocks, etc. Is there an easier walk there anywhere?
Thanks
snow conditions
@achilles haha its okay. Time does seem to cloud the memory a bit.

I've got a Transaltitude bus ticket departing from Les 2 Alpes on saturday. It says it takes two and a half hour to reach the Gare Routiére in Grenoble? Can this be true? It seems a little long to get there?

Anyway this was a first visit to this resort, and a really great resort it is. Really like the altitude difference giving some long runs. We also did the helicopter trip to Alpe d'huez yesterday. Such an awesome experience! CoolSmile
latest report
One of the best things to do in L2A is the top to bottom run.

If you’ve never done it, you can go all the way from the very top of the glacier at 3400m, down the wide open blues, skirt along Jandri, pop out at the bottom of Cretes, down the tricky Valentin black into town, hold your speed through the green through the village, and then the fun Mont de Lans red all the way to the valley floor at 1300m (if it’s open).

2100m of descent in one go. I did a season there nearly a decade ago (blimey) and we used to race it against the clock without stopping at all - I think my record was about 13 minutes or so.

Really worth doing!! Hell of a leg burner though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy