Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel or Milton Keynes ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of taking the kids for a practice before our holidays, they've had around 6 or 7 hours of lessons on the dry slope and can control their speed and turn; so I was thinking about not having a lesson and doing some free skiing with them. is either of these two venues better for a first go ? I can see pictures on line and they both look quite steep at the top from the pictures and there doesn't seem to be a half way point to the button lift which I think they would need. any thoughts ??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would do some more practice on the dryslope, and let them learn about snow when you get to the mountains. Hemel does not allow you to get off other than at the top of the main slope and will be very very busy at this time of year - so not somewher to try your first turns on a new surface. I don't know if MK has the same rule. Nursery slopes in the mountains will be less steep, with slower lifts or majic carpets which will make that much easier.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To be allowed to go on either they need to be able to do controlled turns and stop, so as long as they can do that, read on.....

Both slopes are by and large very similar. They both have a learner section off to one side which can be accessed by the button or a magic carpet. You won't be able to go on this unless they're part of a lesson. But.... both of the main slopes are cut into 3 sections of slope with a two bits of flat about a metre or so wide (does that make sense?). So long as your kids are capable of dismounting the button quickly, they can get off at the first flat section and ski down the main slope. It really isn't very steep at all, and in fact is identical in pitch and length to the learner slope. Some learners using the button will get off at the first flat section and turn right (at MK) to the learner slope, whereas you'd be turning left onto the main slope.

Other than that, the only other considerations are how far it takes to get there and how far you can be bothered to walk. I'm literally equidistant between the two so the first one doesn't matter. Regarding the latter, you can park right next to the slope at Hemel. At MK, if you park in the free 3 hour parking, you have to walk through the car park and the rest of the Xscape shopping/dining centre.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ski, Really? I'm sure I've got off on the flat sections at Hemel when my kids were younger? Is that a new rule? If it is a rule at MK it definitely isn't policed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. Both are quite a long way to be honest (2 hrs to HH or 2 hours 20 to MK) so we were thinking of an overnight and going both days - expensive but I'd rather they hit the mountain with a little experience and didn't spend most of their classes on the baby slope otherwise the stubborn one could decide no more skiing and one of us will be stuck not skiing rolling eyes I had planned a lesson at MK on one of the days when I looked at the weekend but it's been booked now and there aren't any more available at sensible times until mid Jan. Back to the dry slope it is then I think.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Timmycb5
Quote:

Really? I'm sure I've got off on the flat sections at Hemel when my kids were younger? Is that a new rule? If it is a rule at MK it definitely isn't policed.

Yup -- changed in Covid....

Quote:

expensive but I'd rather they hit the mountain with a little experience and didn't spend most of their classes on the baby slope otherwise the stubborn one could decide no more skiing and one of us will be stuck not skiing

Practise on the dryslope so the can ski from the top, parallelish! --- You'll be off the bunny slope in the blink of eye Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ski, ah, haven’t been to Hemel since covid!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Both much of a muchness.

MK main slope and training slope feels a little bit bigger? Hemel is the "nicer" place in my opinion and also has the large snow and rock shop. MK has lots of things to do in the Xscape Centre so might be better for making a day of it with the kids?
MK was cheaper than Hemel but I felt the lessons we had were better at Hemel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy