Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - Val Claret ski hire Vs ski pack recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are going at start of season (17th Dec) - not been there before. Staying Val Claret near Grande Motte car park. Our one and only other ski holiday we bought ski pack. however this year son wanting flexibility of potential to swap between snowboard & skis (?multiride add on?) and it seems travel company can't offer this flexibility.
We are due to get in mid evening - it seems that the rental shops have closing times approx 7pm? Is that right? In Austria they were open til really late at night....
Any recommendations for a ski hire shop near where we are staying Val Claret near Grande Motte car park?
I'm getting confused by all the different types of add on insurance - the shop I was looking at (Ski Republic) had ones called risk coverage / flex ski / .... Carre. Our own travel insurance doesn't seem to cover hire equipment.
I'd be grateful if someone can talk me through the ins and Outs or signpost me to a thread that can help!
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead

I can only give my experience of hiring in Val Claret from hire shops (beside the Diva Hotel ie. Lower Level)

When I used Ski Republic - they were very good value and very helpful, but the kit was fairly old and scruffy.

When I used Deep Snow (Ski Set), their kit was almost new, first class and I could change through the week (which I did, as I didn't like the 1st skis they gave me). They were more expensive, but I got a cheap deal through Crystal.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you - Ski Republic did seem pretty cheap when I looked....
so you got Deep snow via Crystal's ski pack?
Do you have a feel for how late the shops were open?
Any tips re: all the insurance options?
Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Regarding your location, I've been in the same area last December. Perfectly located for skiing, renting and a supermarket, close to a good pub and a burger joint.
Smart choice.
I always bring my own stuff but if you use AlpinResorts website, they have a discount using ALPISKI coupon code.
I found Ski Republic on their listing, have no idea regarding quality etc. You can check them for reviews on Google Maps etc.
Most places close at 19:00 but open early morning at 08:30.
Their add ons are regular for France:
Theft and damage to the skis (makes sense), AlpinFlexi for 0€ (24 hrs cancelation, it's free so I would take it Smile, AlpinSafety regular and plus (unnecessary for me since they are already included in my foreign travel insurance, same goes with Carre Neige on the ski pass).
Folks here and in Tignes forum
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161226
will be more able to recommend a specific shop.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helenmc33 wrote:
Thank you - Ski Republic did seem pretty cheap when I looked....
so you got Deep snow via Crystal's ski pack?
Do you have a feel for how late the shops were open?
Any tips re: all the insurance options?
Thanks

Ski Republic was used for my teenage Boys on one holiday.

Deep Snow was used for myself and my Daughter on a different holiday. We both have our own skis, but at that time, Crystal had an offer on Lift Pass/Ski hire, which made hiring a "No Brainer". I ended up with some Head Magnums and Miss Fartbaglette had some very decent brand new Nordicas.

I can't remember the exact shop timings, but they close over lunch and stay open in the evenings (IIRC later on Sat and Sun).

Our general Insurance was through the Ski Club of GB (we are members) and we took out the shop's own Insurance for the skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The shop's own insurance is generally pretty cheap. In the overall context of a ski holiday, hardly needs much thinking about. Though the only time I made a claim (on a tatty pair of skis for a 5 year old, not worth pinching and probably taken in error) it was a right pain, having to register a theft with the local police. Who were very slow, poked gingerly at their keyboard as though they'd never seen one before, and spoke a lot less English than I speak French......
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@drporat, thank you
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Old Fartbag, thanks
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just sorting out rentals myself in Tignes for halfterm. By my research Tignes Spirit are very highly recommended, will come to you hotel/ deliver to fit. New kit that you can choose and browse online. Expensive with their normal prices but you can get 40% off making them pretty competitive if you use the link on this website: https://www.alpineanswers.co.uk/ski-hire/tignes

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g196714-d2330211-Reviews-Tignes_Spirit-Tignes_Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html

~Just read the post above with alpin resorts, looks like that link gives even better discount with Tignes spirit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Helenmc33, I have booked a holiday with Crystal - when I was looking at a ski pack I discovered that going direct to the ski shop (the one that Crystal uses) was several pounds cheaper by renting from the shop myself. Most shops now have an website

===edit===

Also, direct renting from shop was cheaper than from SkiSet...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ this. When I rented in Alpe D'Huez one time I was also told by the shop owner that there's a different level of service for 'their own' customers as opposed to 'Crystal Customers'.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Helenmc33,
Contact these and talk over what you need.
https://www.tignes-spirit.com/services/ski-rental
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy