Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech or Zermatt? Please help us

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My friend and I are travelling over to Europe from Australia in January and we are intending on spending the first week skiing/snowboarding in either Lech or Zermatt. We are very excited and would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can provide!

Dates:
Fly into Zurich 29th January.
Travel to either Lech or Zermatt on 30th January for around a week.

Who's going:
Me: Have only skiied for 1 week combined over 2 trips in 2013 and 2017. On the 2017 day trip I was managing to get through blue slopes in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, but was spending a bit of time rolling down some of those slopes.
Friend: Few weeks snowboarding experience in Australia.
Both 25 year old males and probably overconfident when faced with slopes

Neither of us are sure whether we'll stick to what we've previously tried or whether we'll switch things up. I may try snowboarding or my friend may try skiing. Considering this, it is likely we'll probably want a day lesson in whatever we choose.

When it comes to comparing Zermatt and Lech, we are having a very difficult time weighing up the pros and cons of each. It seems to come down to the wow factor and scenery of Zermatt versus the convenience/ease of getting around/less waiting around/greater choice of beginner/intermediate runs? in Lech.
I have also read comments from people not recommending Zermatt as an ideal location for snowboarding in particular. Does Lech generally provide a greater snowboarding experience than Zermatt? Does Lech have more powder than Zermatt generally?

Main concerns for Zermatt:
- Not ideal for snowboarding?
- Too much downtime and difficulty travelling between runs?
- Not as beginner/intermediate friendly as Lech?

Main concerns for Lech:
- Missing out on the amazing scenery and magic of Zermatt

Both of these locations sound amazing and it will be very difficult for us to leave one of them out of our trip. If anyone could please let me know where I may be wrong in the above summaries, or help us/convince us on which location to visit, then that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 21-11-22 6:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[I've been to both and this winter I am returning to both of them.]
Lech. Definitely.
Of course you can ski both but the question is where you'll feel more at ease and have more fun.
IMO Lech is much easier for beginners/early intermediates to enjoy the area.And the views are beautiful as well.
Unless doomsday is expected, you can do Zermatt when you'll be able to enjoy everything it offers.
Regarding the scenery in Lech:
This is Lech from the mountain station of Rufikopfbahn:

This is Lech in a sunny day:

Same sunny day, view down from Oberlech:

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 21-11-22 8:10; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
seems an odd couple to make a selection from. without over thinking, Lech seems the better option particularly if your only concern is the scenery.
Slope access is easier and quicker in Lech, Ski board down is better in lech, Easy access to the rest of Arlberg (St Anton, Warth-Schroeken, Zurs, Zug) from Lech.
I find Lech easier to get to. The scenery is Lech is lovely. Always foud Austrian Apres superior..
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you have the budget then Lech is an ideal resort whatever your abilities. The scenery is pretty good too. No doubt Zermatt is unique & spectacular but maybe better once you have a bit more experience
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surprised nobody mentioned the weather. Lech is a much better location for beginners for all the reasons stated above, plus if the weather closes in you don't want to be 1000m higher in the exposed terrain of Zermatt. The best thing about Zermatt compared to Lech is that you can ski into Itlay for decent coffee. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cannot compare Zermatt to Lech, as I have never skied the former.

From a skiing PoV, it would be hard to go past the Arlberg. Seven ski-connected villages, ie Lech, Zürs, Warth, Schröcken, Stuben, St Christoph, & St Anton, 100’s of km of piste, and “unlimited” off piste. Skiing ranging from mellow cruisers in Lech & Zürs, to balls-to-the-wall off piste lines like the Schindler chutes or Valluga Nord (with guide).

Don’t know about Lech after dark - we are always back home in St Anton then - but I suspect for a 25 y.o., StA offers better apres, if that’s your thing.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 21-11-22 11:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Neither is best for two friends of 25 with limited experience.
There are many more great better suited places in The Alps.

If your focus is on scenery and you want to see the Matterhorn (and yes, it is a must see), do go to Zermatt. Skiing and snowboarding will be fine for you, you will find the slopes you like.
Lech is my favorite resort to which I'm returning for 20 years. Comparing scenery, Zermatt is unique, but Lech is more varied, prettier, sweeter, in my opinion.
But Lech attracts a middle-aged crowd, and aprés-ski is rather sedate. You might actually say that Lech's aprés has a bit of a 'Swiss feel, whilst Zermatt is younger and livelier. Both Lech and Zermatt are (very) expensive. Do check the restaurant prices in Zermatt, you might be shocked.

My advice is to look at other big Austrian names like Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Ischgl, Kitzbühel-Kirchberg, Sölden. Here you'll find the perfect slopes for intermediates, combined with a younger crowd and famous Austrian aprés-ski. At better prices.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you so much everyone for the detailed replies. My friend and I are clueless so this all really helps.

drporat, those pictures are stunning, I probably was underestimating Lech's scenery

ulmerhutte, the range of runs and amount of accessible villages does sound incredible, very tempting

Langerzug, thank you very much for those other location suggestions as well. We'll definitely have a look at those. We were mainly deciding between Zermatt and Lech due to our lack of knowledge of lower key places that could be as or more suitable for us.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fellow Aussie here. Been to Zermatt once and Lech four times.

Go Lech. It really is Top 5 in Europe.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another fellow Aussie here. Grab a dart. Throw it at the area of France, Italy, Austria and Switzerland and go to the nearest big resort. You’re guaranteed to have a ball.
If I were 25 and travelling with a mate I’d go to Saalbach, Mayrhofen, St Anton, Ischgl in Austria.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What @sbooker, says is spot on regarding other Austrian resorts. Given your experience I'm not 100% convinced that St Anton would be a good base for skiing but defo for apres. We absolutely love Saalbach Hinterglemm and so do our kids (aged 19, 22 and 25). As others have said Lech is really special and would suit your skiing abilities perfectly but I think you might be a bit bored after dark
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy