Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any luck with cheap suitcases?

Poster: A snowHead
I could do with getting a couple of new ones as two of my children are away with a school ski trip at the same time I'm away skiing. What I'd like is a hard shell, 4 wheeled case and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with any of the 'no name' cheaper brands on eBay or Amazon? Or conversely if you've had bad luck with a cheap case (i.e. it's fallen apart quickly) let me now what to avoid. I'm sure it's perfectly possible that some 'no name' cases are made in the same factory in China as the 'name' cases which sell for 4 times the price. It's just finding out which ones! Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good backpacks would be worth considering for the kids - along with a ski bag if they are taking skis. Dragging a heavy suitcase through snow and ice is no fun. Kids should not need any more than they can carry, and the stuff they simply cannot do without will magnify to fill the space allotted.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don’t know if these count as cheap but I thought they were reasonably priced (pretty basic though) and we’ve been happy with the carry on sized hard case.

https://www.tripp.co.uk/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can vouch for the Tripp ones as @ster, said. Keep an eye on ebay as they pop up now and again, just sold in laws ones on ebay - Tripp hard shell type, telescopic, 4 wheeled ones medium & large for £70 to the winning bidder.
We've still got the same ones and have used regularly, seemed to stand up to most Airport Handlers dealings and still going strong.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Good backpacks would be worth considering for the kids - along with a ski bag if they are taking skis. Dragging a heavy suitcase through snow and ice is no fun. Kids should not need any more than they can carry, and the stuff they simply cannot do without will magnify to fill the space allotted.

The school has given them 20kg luggage allowance to include their helmets and boots. I don't think either of them would be happy carrying a 20kg backpack but I will ask them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ster wrote:
I don’t know if these count as cheap but I thought they were reasonably priced (pretty basic though) and we’ve been happy with the carry on sized hard case.

Thanks. I'm not worried about bells and whistles, just that they will survive a ten foot drop when launched by an indifferent French baggage handler!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Simon94 wrote:
Can vouch for the Tripp ones as @ster, said. Keep an eye on ebay as they pop up now and again, just sold in laws ones on ebay - Tripp hard shell type, telescopic, 4 wheeled ones medium & large for £70 to the winning bidder.
We've still got the same ones and have used regularly, seemed to stand up to most Airport Handlers dealings and still going strong.

Thanks. Out of curiosity why did they sell them if they are a good suitcase?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
greengriff wrote:
ster wrote:

Thanks. I'm not worried about bells and whistles, just that they will survive a ten foot drop when launched by an indifferent French baggage handler!

I reckon they’ll do the job better than the ebay/Amazon knock offs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tripp are fine..had mine for years
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I don't think either of them would be happy carrying a 20kg backpack but I will ask them.

It's easier to carry a 20 kg backpack than a 20 kg suitcase - and you can't always rely on being able to wheel a suitcase. And 20 kg is the absolute max - they ought to be able to get away with less than that. But decent backpacks aren't cheap.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@greengriff, Thanks. Out of curiosity why did they sell them if they are a good suitcase?
Sold them as these were the in laws and they no longer need them (they are no longer going abroad). Still got ours though!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I travelled a mega amount and would recommend a hard case. I used a Hartmann so not cheap.

However, what I use all the time is a 50L Rab kitbag with harness
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/rab-kit-bag-ii-50l-E2314458.html?colour=4925&utm_source=google&utm_medium=gdn&utm_campaign=CWO-UK-PERF-ONG-PLA-NB-GOOGLE-PMAX2&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1NebBhDDARIsAANiDD0KMQCODdjGYC8bOSASCGJhNZ6_glWr7dx-jLmbtuXzmpWIX9Mpen4aAo_rEALw_wcB

Here is a pic with my boots and helmet. Socks inside the boots, gloves inside the helmet. Base layers, trousers, spare pair of jeans, pants and some T shirts can also go in.

Then add a laptop bag with other essentials and tech.

Not able to post a picture says not authorised.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We got a couple of cheap cases from either Amazon or ebay about 10 years ago for the kids to use as cabin bags and they are sill going strong.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've always thought TK Maxx was a good place for suitcases. Got a lightweight Columbia one there a few years ago for a good price that is proving to be very good. Also had a 4 wheel hard shell weekend case that was a bargain and excellent too.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I don't think either of them would be happy carrying a 20kg backpack but I will ask them.

It's easier to carry a 20 kg backpack than a 20 kg suitcase - and you can't always rely on being able to wheel a suitcase. And 20 kg is the absolute max - they ought to be able to get away with less than that. But decent backpacks aren't cheap.

Maybe for an adult, but not for a kid. 20kg would be nearly half their bodyweight. Maybe my mind is unfairly closed, but for a ski trip 4-wheeled suitcases have proved invaluable to me over the years. The places where you can use wheels far outnumber the places where you can't (usually just getting from the transfer bus into the hotel lobby), and when you're trying to manage ski bags, kids, and their luggage too, being able to just leave it without having to physically pick up and put down, is a godsend. Also I can manage 3 or 4 wheeled suitcases at a time in an airport, and plop 3 or 4 sets of hand luggage on top of them when I do. As Orwell might have said '4 wheels good, 2 wheels (or no wheels!) bad'!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-11-22 13:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Cheers. Tripp cases on their website are a little cheaper than no name brand on Amazon, so that's good. Still 50% more than no name brands on eBay though. Caveat emptor I guess!
snow report
Buy cheap - buy twice! there always seems to be a luggage outlet at any of the big outlet centres around the country, TK Maxx usually have some as well but as with everything there its potluck what they have on your visit
latest report
musher wrote:
We got a couple of cheap cases from either Amazon or ebay about 10 years ago for the kids to use as cabin bags and they are sill going strong.

But they don’t make them like they used to!
snow conditions
So Tripp is looking like the best 'bang for buck' so far. Interestingly they do not allow you to buy spares, so if you break a wheel or a handle, that's that! Not very helpful. There's another brand, Kono, with similar good specs to the Tripp cases (e.g. Polypropylene shell instead of ABS, YKK zippers etc.) but that are available nearly a third cheaper. Has anyone got one?
snow report
Quote:
Buy cheap - buy twice!

Absolutely! I've collected my undies up off the conveyor belt after the zip bust on the cheap rucksack my parents bought me to travel with when I was 15 (it weighed in at 17kg, and I was fairly lightweight and under 160cm tall – the bag weight wasn't really a problem). As a student, they bought me a much better Samsonite hard shell case, which I am still using 20 years later, and when the handle came loose, Samsonite sent me another (improved) part without issue FOC. Mum still has some Delsey hard cases which are around 40 years old, and still good, it's just that modern designs are much better shaped.

Could you not supply some decent cases, maybe as a Christmas present? They really do last a long time. Or otherwise ask family or neighbours if they have a couple you could borrow, given your timing predicament?
snow report
Perhaps borrowing is the way to go!!! I just thought that if I could get a good case for cheaps by being open to unknown brands then I would.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
Could you not supply some decent cases, maybe as a Christmas present?

Suitcases as Xmas presents for school aged kids? Not sure that would go down well.
latest report
ster wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
Could you not supply some decent cases, maybe as a Christmas present?

Suitcases as Xmas presents for school aged kids? Not sure that would go down well.

Absolutely! It would be a frosty atmosphere at lunch Laughing
snow report
ster wrote:

So give them the suitcase and tell them the extra ski trip is for Christmas? Ages are not stated – a soon-to-be travelling with mates late teen might be fine with pricey travel stuff.

I get your point though – someone used to getting a new iPhone or first car for crimbo might find it not up to expectations.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
ster wrote:

So give them the suitcase and tell them the extra ski trip is for Christmas? Ages are not stated – a soon-to-be travelling with mates late teen might be fine with pricey travel stuff.

I get your point though – someone used to getting a new iPhone or first car for crimbo might find it not up to expectations.

A car for Christmas??? I wish I had your parents Laughing
latest report
If it helps, my 11 year old uses my 50L rucksack bought aeons ago from Decathlon for Scout camping and hikes with no problem at all, it must weigh the best part of 20kg by the time he's loaded it with the Scout packing list. And it's probably not far off half his body weight although rugby since age 5 has possibly made him tougher than most! A back pack also leaves them hands-free for carrying coat, handluggage etc through the airport.

Am with @pam w here that for a teen (assume a teen as it's a school ski trip) a backpack would be better than a wheeled suitcase, and they can use for it for festivals, gap year etc in years to come which would add longevity to the purchase more than a wheeled case.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy