Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech or Oberlech

Poster: A snowHead
I was after advise, I am about to book for Lech and have two Hotels shortlisted, myself and my son are skiing but my wife is a non skier who is happy just to chill for the week reading a book, short walks etc the two hotel, one based in Lech itself or one in Oberlech ski in/out right beside the slopes this is expensive but does look good, my question is, is there anything at all to interest my wife or is it possible to easily get down to Lech without driving, any input would be great
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A few years since i was there (stayed at the Montanna last time), but sure this aspect hasn't changed.
Very easy to get down to Lech from Oberlech.
There is a network of tunnels linking the hotels in Oberlech with the top station of the cable car.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I too have stayed at the Montana and is the best ski holiday I've had. Went one year with my wife and another couple, then came back the following year with the kids.
You'll love the toboggan run down the Lech (open till 10pm from memory). Not much to do at night in Oberlech, so Lech will have more buzz in the evenings but lovely walks for your wife from Oberlech and I'm sure plenty of lovely walks from.Lech too. Magical place no matter which option
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A week going for walks, and having coffee and cake, and reading, in either Lech or Oberlech, sounds like heaven.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All things being equal with the actual hotels I'd go with Oberlech 100%. The fact that there's no cars makes it feel even more away from it all and relaxing. Oberlech gets more sun than Lech so a nicer place for your wife to sit on a terrace and read etc. And it's easier for you to meet her for lunch or take a break with oberlech as a base. The cable car takes 3 min and runs every 15 min so it's really easy to go down to Lech for a change of scenery.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've stayed in Oberlech more than any other resort. Probably visited 20 times. It's superb. We stay at the Murmuli, which is a small hotel in Oberlech, but has superb food. And if you aren't staying there, it is definitely worth booking a table for lunch.

Personally, I think Oberlech is by far the preferable place to stay. It's actually nice to walk down to the town, or even getting the Bergbahn up/down is super easy and fun.

The lack of traffic and the whole ambiance in Oberlech though is magical. I think you will all enjoy it!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oberlech is just amazing, all of Lech is lovely but there’s something very special about that central part of oberlech with the terraces and restaurants. I’ve visited as a skier and non skier and think it’s worth staying there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would vote for Oberlech, especially if you will staying close to the Oberlech Bergbahn. Sunshine, ski-in/out, atmospheric, easy access to Lech, close to many great eating spots, etc, etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have previously considered Hotel Salome in Oberlech after a few short lunches while skiing the area.
On the map it seems higher and further up the mountain than Murmuli for example.
OTH it is close to the bus station to Lech for non skiers. But I understand that after 17:30/18:00 there are no buses, Google Maps indicate 45 minutes to walk down to Krone in the center for example.
Is this correct? Any idea how much will an evening taxi from Lech charge?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Shaggy39,
It really depends were in Oberlech your hotel is. Oberlech is very spread out, and between 1550-1800 meters alt.
There are hotels that need quite a walk to the Oberlech cablecar. And for some hotels this means quite an uphill walk. Or the bus.
Many people mention Montana, but the funny thing with Montana is that to go skiing first thing in the morning, most guests ski down to Lech, because otherwise they would need to walk up quite a bit to the lift Toofy Grin
On the other hand, Lech proper has quite some ski-in/out hotels too
We stay in Lech in a ski in/out. Last year spoke to newcomers in our hotel that stayed in Oberlech for years, to conclude that a ski-in/out in Lech has more advantages... wink

If you can let me know which hotels you're looking at I can give a more detailed advice

@drporat, Yes, the Salome is higher up, and yes there is a busstop right behind it. There also is a very reasonable busservice into the night. Walking down to Lech at night is not realistic, it gets very steep. Taxi would be approx. 15-20 euro
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Langerzug,
I was looking at Montana Hotel or one further up the mountain the Mohnenfluh Hotel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Shaggy39, That's both in Oberlech wink
Mohnenfluh is near the above mentioned Salome. The highest hotel of Oberlech. You can drive up to it by car. You need to walk down 15 minutes over snowy walkways (groomed) to the cablecar. And up of course. Or direct bus down/up to/from Lech, busstop behind the hotel.
Mohenfluh is a typical Austrian Gasthof, but 4star of course. Mostly Austrian/German guests. Large terrace near the Oberlech tow lift.

Montana has a much better kitchen imo. French oriented.
Atmosphere is more 'champagne' than Mohnenfluh. International clientele, many Dutch too. Great restaurant-terrace
In the carfree 'centre' of Oberlech, 2 minutes down from the cablecar.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Shaggy39, The Montana is owned by the Ortlieb family. Patrick Ortlieb won the downhill at the 1992 olympics in Val d'Isere and his medal was on display in the hotel when I stayed there. Adds something to the holiday to have such a star as your host.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DCG, Olympic ánd Worldchampion. And still he just as well is very friendly managing the terrace, arranging free tables. Just like his father was, and still is.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Langerzug, many thanks for the info. Nothing beats a ski in/ski out Gasthof in Arlberg.
My favourite is in St. Anton, I am considering Lech for early March since it's definitely more attractive for non skiers.
IMO Salome has the advantage of a reasonable (for Lech) restaurant with perfect views of the village beneath and relatively easy access.
snow conditions
@Shaggy39, You said you also were looking at a hotel in Lech?
@drporat, you're welcome, and yes, the Salome has a lovely old fashioned laidback atmosphere and a beautiful terrace. We like to take a drink there. For food I would suggest the Formarin, slightly downhill from Salome, but same relaxed atmosphere, and lovely terrace too.
snow report
@Shaggy39, the walk from the Montana to the uplift is not far. c.200m slightly uphill and would take 3-4 mins max
ski holidays
@Langerzug, Hotel Acerina in Lech was one hotel i was looking at, would anyone how/where to park if I was to book Hotel Montana and getting baggage from car to hotel. Thanks
ski holidays
@Shaggy39, Ok, the Acerina is in quite a different category than Montana, and to a lesser extent also the Mohnenfluh. No experience myself, location is fine, short walk to the lifts. Very close to the nursery lifts and slopes.
Cars for carfree Oberlech are parked in the 'Anger' garage, underneath the church, opposite the Oberlech cablecar. You can unload in front of the cablecar station. Baggage will be managed completely to the hotel after that, no worries. There is a tunnel system in Oberlech connecting the hotels to the cablecar
latest report
@Langerzug, Thank you so much for you help, just another question the underground car park is it safe ish to park an expensive car, for instance I wouldn't be happy leaving it in Asda car park for a week
snow report
@Shaggy39, that carpark is full of expensive cars. You might be surprised.... Toofy Grin
snow report
Brilliant & thanks, I wont have to worry about the Reliant Robin
snow conditions
This must be the first time that 'Asda' and 'Lech' have ever been mentioned in the same thread on snowHead
latest report
@Shaggy39, if you go for the Montana. Basically they sent us luggage labels in advance. Got the cable car up to Oberlech and our luggage went separately. Checked in etc and had a drink in the bar. By the time we went to our rooms our luggage was there and skis were in your locker in the boot room. Brilliant service
snow conditions
@Shaggy39, It used to be the case (not sure whether it still is) that the prime hotels in Oberlech gave priority in high season to guests re-booking for the same week as last year, so newcomers unable to book until after these "options" had expired. I think this was around September, so should be ok by now.
latest report
@DCG, Not just in Oberlech, not just in Lech, but everywhere in Austria, and The Alps.
Only thing is that Lech has unusual amounts of these returning guests. (that pay lower (slightly) prices than newcomers by the way Toofy Grin )
But this coming winter is different.
latest report
Langerzug wrote:

Sounds ominous!! Shocked
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
@DCG, Not just in Oberlech, not just in Lech, but everywhere in Austria, and The Alps.
Only thing is that Lech has unusual amounts of these returning guests. (that pay lower (slightly) prices than newcomers by the way Toofy Grin )

I think you may be mistaken when you say everywhere in the Alps. I’ve not encountered this outside Austria
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DCG, I’m quite sure it happens all over the world in beloved hotels at beloved places.
And Lech is simply one of the most beloved skiresorts in the world.

There is a 5***** hotel in Lech that has no published prices for Christmas/New Year. There is a waitinglist…
snow report
Thanks for all the advise & guidance, now booked Hotel Montana Oberlech.
ski holidays
@Shaggy39, enjoy your stay and please write here how it went, I am weighting options too
ski holidays
@Shaggy39, very jealous. You'll love it hopefully. Best food I've had anywhere
snow conditions
Round 2. As hoped (in a nice way) As we are driving down my wife has now agreed to fly back to the UK after a week on her own selfishly leaving myself and my 16 year old son to stay as long as we like (result).
1 Do you think we will like Oberlech/Lech that much we will decide to stay another week
2 I did have an idea of moving to Solden area for the second week and then possibly onto Corvara Italy for a week.

I do like wide open cruisey blues

Any ideas please
snow report
Depends. We like unpacking when we arrive and then not worrying about it again until we have to go back to our first home. It also means we can buy a season pass and not have the expense of shorter-term passes in multiple resorts. St Anton is like our second home to us. Others enjoy the change of scenery.

On the Arlberg specifically, we have been skiing there for 19 years and still not bored. There is so much variety, even if you are only a piste skier. I hear of people who have been returning for 30+ years. Others might find that beyond boring.

Horses for courses.
latest report
Solden has the wide open cruisey blues so is indeed perfect for less confident or less experienced skiers, it was good fun when I got there.
But after a week in Lech area which will include their wide and pleasant blue and red pistes, you'll probably get to Warth and enjoy their perfectly groomed wide and uncrowded black pistes.
After that week, Solden might seem boring, limited and not much fun on the slopes and afterwards.
Maybe have a second week in St. Anton so you and your son can properly wine and dine from 16 to 19 within good Austrian apres ski atmosphere and food?
Or go to Ischgl or Serfauss/Fiss?
snow report
+1 Serfaus
ski holidays
Lech is great and I also love Serfaus, but I would definitely send you to Italy for that second week. "Wide open cruisey blues" is the definition of the Dolomites, especially Alta Badia.
snow conditions
@Shaggy39, I'd be tempted to do Ischgl for your second week if you like your cruisey blues. Change of scene from Lech and won't take too long to get there. We've stayed in kappl a few times which is a cheaper base for the Ischgl area
snow conditions
Have been planning the route today using different route finders and when using Waze it said that I would need a German emission sticker I know about the Austrian vignette but have not heard of the German version??
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy