Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting over the hill (assuming we can get up it first ...)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Mrs PG and I have had several attempts at ski touring over the past few years. We have done a couple of courses and have about 30 days touring, all with a guide. We are both retired, moderately fit (can manage 20 km/1200m Munro days but probably not day after day), can get down most slopes < 35 deg (not necessarily with any style or fluency) as long as we're not skiing on boilerplate, breakable crust or power above the knee and avoid kick turns if poss. We love getting away from the madding crowd and are looking for some mellow touring days, probably with a guide though it would be nice to do some "baby tours" on our own just for the experience. I am looking for somewhere we can go next March and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? The Ecrins/Queyras came to mind but not sure if we would be a little late in the season. Val Maira/Stura sound lovely (we have walked there) but I don't think we can cope with ca. 1000m ascents each day. We have been to Monte Rosa (twice) but didn't really have much luck with the snow, Zinal (twice) which was fantastic but may be a bit pricy given the dire state of Sterling and a couple of other places. Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Praz De Lys/Sommand area maybe suitable. We've often visited in March with very good snow cover, a quiet area with good cost, food, all on a sunny (usually) plateau with beautiful alpine outlook in all directions.

Somewhere (val cenis) in Maurienne Valley, again it's been good in March when visited with many varied snow activities along from village to village there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great and easy touring to be had out of Trafoi in the Ortler Alps
https://www.suedtirolerland.it/en/south-tyrol/val-venosta/stelvio/trafoi/

Great value for money
Easy access to the high mountains via lift
Superb scenery
Long descents possible if you ski down below the ski area and get a lift back up to the village

Solda is around the corner for added variety - lift and touring

March 2016

http://youtube.com/v/06mfZxCeZAM&t=31s

I was solo but ran in to Toni

He was happy for me to tag along and ski to his car at the bottom of the valley (Gomagoi) for a lift back to Trafoi

https://vcdn.bergfex.at/images/resized/35/4e8cb60338eea735_cb578ad2b193cbe1@2x.jpg

https://www.feel-the-mountains.com/-/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fantastic video. Serious stoke. Thanks for sharing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PetGriffin, if you can find a good guide, see if you can book him on the basis of he'll take you where the best conditions are, and he'll arrange the accommodation etc

The guide that I went to Val Maira with three times did not go there last year and took his clients to Andermatt instead, scoring great conditions, such are the joys of Social Media rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ulmerhutte wrote:
Fantastic video. Serious stoke. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Great area
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PetGriffin, Come to the Ski Amade. We have a small expat group who get out and tour as much as possible, especially in March. It includes scarpa and flangesax who you can find on the Ski Amade forums. There are some great Grade 1 Tours (c.800m ascent) that you could self-guide with minimal navigation/slope challenges, especially around the Grossarl/Kleinarl ridge. Plus some nice Hutte for that must do overnight stay. Most start from designated Parking spots so you can drive/bus to the SP, climb and ski back down in your own time. PM me if you'd like to know more.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks to Mike_Pow, weathercam, ski3 and RedandWhiteFlachau for your suggestions - I had not heard of most of the areas you mentioned so will check them out!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy