Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski choice - Black Crow, Line, Atomic, Head

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I own a pair of Head Core 93 which I love, but I'm looking for a second pair of skis for when the snow is soft and I'm spending more time off-piste. My background is as a snowboarder, but I have a few years skiing experience. I look for little jumps and explore around the piste a lot. For me skiing is about fun rather than racing, but I'll never be a park skier - I'm 48.

I'm looking for something that will provide a good contrast to the Heads and I'm considering:

- Black Crows Atris
- Line - Sir Francis Bacon
- Atomic Bent 110

I'm feeling that the Line and the Atomic will be the biggest contrast to the Head, while the Atris is stiffer, more directional and probably closer to my style of skiing at the moment. It feels like the Atris is probably the safest choice, but maybe too close to my Heads...

Ideally I'd do demo days on these 3 but as that's not possible, so next best thing is to ask some opinions on the internet! Does anyone have any experience of these skis to share?

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Confused
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@albertosaurus, I think you’ve summed it up pretty accurately yourself already - though I don’t consider the Atris to be particularly stiff or directional and with a ~20mm width difference and more rocker I don’t think you’ll have any issues with overlap with your Heads.

Re. the Atris/Bent decide which graphic you like best or pick the one you can find cheaper. Choose the Line if you specifically want something much softer and more buttery.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks - one thing I'm worried about is the very centred binding mounting as it's not something I've used before. Does this require a different technique i.e. less weight forward? Do you switch between styles on different skis easily enough?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@albertosaurus, yes you do have to adjust your stance a bit to be more centred, but you get used to it, and more quickly the more often you switch. I don’t find it problematic - actually it’s part of the fun, especially how it brings using the tail more into play.

However the last couple of years I’ve stopped mounting more forward-mounted skis on the manufacturers recommended line (after a few years of doing so) and generally prefer mounting about 2cm back. Depends on the ski though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
would starting off at recommended then remounting 2cm back if i didnt get on with recommended work or will this damage ski integrity / strength? thanks!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought a pair of Blizzard Rustler 9's from @spyderjon a few years back and they came with low-profile demo bindings. I was hesitant about those bindings at first, but I'm really glad I have them - they allow me to shift the mount point forward a few clicks to get better engagement in the tips or back a few clicks to spin and ski switch (and get a bit better float in soft snow). Different mount points really turn these into different skis, and I do change the settings on different days. If you do wind up demoing skis, feel free to slide the bindings forwards and backwards and see what happens - I learned a lot.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just to offer a contrary opinion (and no doubt will be shot down in flames by the wide fans), unless you are skiing deep light fluffy powder daily (rare in europe) then I'd say your 93 underfoot Head Cores would be more than suitable! The Atris is 105mm wide, so that's 6mm difference either side of your boot.....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kitenski, it's not all about width underfoot. Rocker both ends with minimum camber will ski quite differently compared to a ski of the same width/flex underfoot that has tip rocker, far more camber and a flat tail. In fact the ski profile is probably more important to soft snow performance than the width underfoot (with reason).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
albertosaurus wrote:
would starting off at recommended then remounting 2cm back if i didnt get on with recommended work or will this damage ski integrity / strength? thanks!

That would be totally fine; only thing it will affect is future re-sale value.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks - what are the bindings that can be moved - are these the same as on hire skis?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon, cheers (as ever your expertise is always good to read!) But doesn't the Core 92 have decent rocker? Seemed to review well in the soft stuff from Google
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
albertosaurus wrote:
Thanks - what are the bindings that can be moved - are these the same as on hire skis?

Yes exactly, they are demo bindings.

For me they offer loads of advantages - moving the mount point, but also the ability to take off the toe and heel pieces and carry them separately in my luggage. This lets me pack the skis in a more compact bag and lets me distribute weight in a way that minimizes stupid airline luggage fees.

The disadvantages are supposedly that they lift your boots a tiny bit higher off the ski and some people say the connection to the boot is a bit looser. If either of those is true I am certainly not sensitive enough to notice. And I am aware that demo bindings don't look as cool as permanently mounted ones, but again, there are so many other reasons I don't look cool that I hardly notice this one.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albertosaurus wrote:

Not necessarily. Depending upon the brand/model there can be a big difference between low end rental bindings and demo bindings.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
@kitenski, it's not all about width underfoot. Rocker both ends with minimum camber will ski quite differently compared to a ski of the same width/flex underfoot that has tip rocker, far more camber and a flat tail. In fact the ski profile is probably more important to soft snow performance than the width underfoot (with reason).

Absolutely this.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy