Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European resorts with best snowmaking?

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya. Planning a mid-December trip, and while hopefully there'll be some decent snowfall SOMEWHERE in the next 4 weeks, the slow start to the season has got me thinking:

Which resorts have absolutely fantastic snowmaking? High quality, high coverage? Thinking it might be smarter to head to somewhere like that, as opposed to (e.g.) Val Thorens like everyone else. Sound off! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just be aware that regardless of how much snow there is on the ground, not all resorts will be open in mid-December. Some don't open till Christmas week. Also be aware that it takes cold weather - especially cold nights - to make snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@easyanae, I believe that the standard answer to this question is the Sella Ronda in the dolomites. They typically have low humidity and low temps which favours snowmaking and inconsistent snowfall has forced them to invest heavily in it
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah @easyanae, generally good snowmaking means generally poorer natural snow
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easyanae wrote:
Thinking it might be smarter to head to somewhere like that, as opposed to (e.g.) Val Thorens like everyone else. Sound off! Very Happy

While I understand the logic that VT might get a higher % of skiers than other resorts at that time, it's a higher % of a pretty small number surely. I really can't believe that it's going to be particularly busy in mid-December.. but I could be wrong.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another Sella Ronda shout, I went a few years ago, there was a massive snow drought that year, big French resorts had 100ish km open - Sella Ronda pretty much all open, over 1000km. They keep it in great condition as well, piste maintenance is first class....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@easyanae,
By 'mid-December' do you mean just before Christmas week?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kenzie wrote:
@easyanae,

10th to 17th.

Will be wary about how much is actually open, but as we don't need to book until the week before I'm basically keeping a shortlist of places to keep an eye on.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easyanae wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@easyanae,

10th to 17th.

Will be wary about how much is actually open, but as we don't need to book until the week before I'm basically keeping a shortlist of places to keep an eye on.

I'm heading to the Dolomites this week. Fingers crossed for some decent snow, but also expecting some input from the snow cannons!

I did go to Alpe D'huez the same week last year, 90% of the slops were open, perhaps even more - was super quiet on the slopes though! Bliss
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easyanae wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@easyanae,

10th to 17th.

Tignes-Val D'Isere
3 Valleys
Paradiski
Zermatt
Cervinia
La Rosiere

And this may help, but note it is already out of date, with resorts putting their opening back.
https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/seasonstart/europe/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ischgl opens before the end of November (24th this year) so by the 10.12 they will have been open for more than two weeks. Early season is usually a mixture of natural snow and man made depending on snowfall. A quick look at the webcams shows that they are already well advanced in covering the pistes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geomar wrote:
easyanae wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@easyanae,

10th to 17th.

I'm heading to the Dolomites this week. Fingers crossed for some decent snow, but also expecting some input from the snow cannons!

I did go to Alpe D'huez the same week last year, 90% of the slops were open, perhaps even more - was super quiet on the slopes though! Bliss

Superski Dolomiti does not open until the 26th of November - where exactly are you going ??
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
albob wrote:
geomar wrote:
easyanae wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@easyanae,

10th to 17th.

Superski Dolomiti does not open until the 26th of November - where exactly are you going ??

Apologies - I'm going 10-17th Dec, the same as the one specified!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@easyanae, the Ski circus (Saalbach Hinterglem, Leogang, Fieberbrunn) is scheduled to open 8 December and has extensive snow making
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easyanae wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@easyanae,

10th to 17th.

That may be a week when a lot of students are out in the Alps. Would advise you check where they are going this season.
snow report
geomar wrote:
albob wrote:
geomar wrote:
easyanae wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@easyanae,

10th to 17th.

Apologies - I'm going 10-17th Dec, the same as the one specified!

Ahh -- My apologies in return, for not reading the whole post ...!!! Embarassed
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
Ischgl opens before the end of November (24th this year) so by the 10.12 they will have been open for more than two weeks. Early season is usually a mixture of natural snow and man made depending on snowfall. A quick look at the webcams shows that they are already well advanced in covering the pistes.

One of the plus sides of Ischgl being run by a single, cartel-esque extended family (price being the flip side) is that it's mandated that all profits made by the lift operating company must be reinvested into the resort, so in addition to a top notch lift system more or less every km of the piste has extensive snow making coverage.
snow report
The Jungfrau Region has invested a tremendous amount of money in snow making over the years out of the profits of Jungfrau Bahn
The area now enjoys good conditions even in poor winters
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy