Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women’s ski recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking for advice, 52kg 166cm tall. I would class myself as intermediate-ish can get myself down most things, like pushing myself faster but with maybe not the best technique, I have a somewhat short Achilles’ tendon so do not have the most normal squat pattern (think of someone who might accidentally walk like a penguin and who can’t do squats very well unless heels raised & even then it’s not super deep). Pretty fit mid 30’s & you wouldn’t know I had this issue unless you have seen my lower leg flexibility, does not cause any pain but Im not expecting to ever become the slickest skier. We are going skiing regularly these days & I think it would be better to get some all mountain skis. Any recommendations on length or type, my husband is a cautious skier & we have a toddler who’s only on his 2nd trip so I’m expecting it to stay as mostly piste skiing for some years at least.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'd be better off calling in your local (independent) retailer and having a chat. Recommendations on here are all well and good but there's an amount of brand loyalty with people and a lot of recommendations will come from people who like the ski they're on rather than from someone who's skied lots of skis from lots of manufacturers - a lot of the independent shops attend on snow tests so have a depth of knowledge about what will work for you.
There are no "bad" skis out there really just ones that are better for your application.
If you buy locally there's no incentive for the shop to sell you anything inappropriate, they want you to have fun on the skis they sell, you'll be beck for your next pair, a pair for your hubby, boots for your kids etc etc
My only advice is don't rule out twin tip skis, i know they're for "freestyle" but most are great all mountain skis and forgiving to ski on.
I'm sure you'll get recommendations on local ski shops from here as well if you need them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice, does that rule out the option of 2nd hand? I mean any advice on that or even general sizing or do not enough people on these forums know about sizing skis, different websites say a pretty big range of ski sizes because I am light for height which is making it confusing? Additionally my limited ankle mobility means I struggle to put lots of weight forward. Reluctant to get lots of advice from a shop selling new skis & I’m quite alright with the reuse idea, people’s circumstances & health change so I presume in a non snowy country it won’t be impossible to pick up 2nd hand. I don’t want to be a time waster to these shops.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rh2205 wrote:
I think it would be better to get some all mountain skis.

The problem with "All Mountain" skis is that they're not very good at anything! You've said you're going to spend most of your time on Piste, so go for a really good "Piste Performance" ski that you occasionally pop off into the crud with. You can't go wrong with the Atomic Redster Series but my Daughter (ISIA Instructor) swears by the Rossi Black Ops as a cracking ladies ski. Useful tips here too.
https://www.kayakhelp.com/best-skis-for-intermediate-skiers/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rh2205, I presume you've got your own boots? did the shop look at helping you with your ankle issues?
Sizing - very general rule - beginner chin height, intermediate nose height, advanced/expert head height.
don't buy anything over a couple of years old and avoid ex-rentals like the plague. make sure the binding will adjust to your boot size and make sure they're serviced. (if you need binding moving its £30-£40+ and a service will be £35ish so it will wipe out the savings you make on new)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Rh2205, will you ski on your own / lessons / with other friends or just with your husband (and soon your toddler!). If it’s the latter you are likely to stay on piste and would ideally want some nice piste skis around the 150-160 length depending on construction (eg more rocker usually means you can go longer). If you realistically think you will progress beyond piste skiing and spend enough time off the sides of the piste and further afield to warrant it, an all mountain ski may be worth looking at (add possibly 5cm to the length range). There is a regular poster on here who also sells skis called @Spyderjon who would be worth contacting for specific ski recommendations. Many people on here would vouch for his recommendations and his prices are good.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not sure I have a recommendation for a Woman's Intermediate Ski - for useful insight you will need feedback from some who has skied on some. What I can give is my thoughts on what to look for, or enquire about in a shop. IMO.

- If you spend all your time On Piste (and have no wish to venture from the Piste) - get a Piste ski
- Due to your light weight, I would look for something that is on the more playful side, while being torsionally stiff (rather than damp, stiff and heavy). Maybe avoid Titanal in the ski's construction.
- Your weight is more of a critical factor than your height - though height plays a small part, as you get extra leverage.
- If you don't own your own boots - these are much more important as a first investment - and a good Bootfitter can adapt the boots to allow for your short Achillies tendon.
- It is worth stretching and foam rolling your calves to improve mobility.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here are some good value ski / binding packages that may suit
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/voelkl/flair-76-vmotion-10-gw.html

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/rossignol/experience-80-ca-xp-11.html

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/nordica/belle-dc-72-tp2-lt11.html

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/head/real-joy-joy-9-gw-slr.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for responses I think the advice not to get an all mountain ski is probably sensible as I very much doubt much off piste will be happening in the next 5-7years, I also hadn’t realised how recent a model they needed to be. Has anyone used the website usedski.co.uk before? Any other recommendations for 2nd hand purchase locations welcome, I will also try the name mentioned. Yes I have my own boots, there is only so much you can do without skiing with dodgy technique to overcome such limited range apart from surgery but I’m a bit past that point now!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rh2205 wrote:
Yes I have my own boots, there is only so much you can do without skiing with dodgy technique to overcome such limited range apart from surgery but I’m a bit past that point now!

Who fitted your boots? Did they take into account your limited mobility?

This is not my area of expertise - but the heel section of the footbed can be raised (ramp angle) and forward lean adjusted to help. Different bindings have different Delta Angles (ie. flatish -> raised heel)....but this takes someone who knows what they are doing - like Colin (CEM) at Solutions 4 feet.

Rest assured, a lot can be done to help and your current boots should be able to be corrected.

Getting your stance on your skis better will make progressing much easier.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This....

Old Fartbag wrote:
Rh2205 wrote:
Yes I have my own boots, there is only so much you can do without skiing with dodgy technique to overcome such limited range apart from surgery but I’m a bit past that point now!

Who fitted your boots? Did they take into account your limited mobility?

This is not my area of expertise - but the heel section of the footbed can be raised (ramp angle) and forward lean adjusted to help. Different bindings have different Delta Angles (ie. flatish -> raised heel)....but this takes someone who knows what they are doing - like Colin (CEM) at Solutions 4 feet.

Rest assured, a lot can be done to help and your current boots should be able to be corrected.

Getting your stance on your skis better will make progressing much easier.

Heel raise? forward lean adjustment? boot stiffness - a stiff boot helps you get the most "bang for your buck" with limited movement - lots of things an experienced fitter can look at.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy n netty wrote:

Heel raise? forward lean adjustment? boot stiffness - a stiff boot helps you get the most "bang for your buck" with limited movement - lots of things an experienced fitter can look at.

Unless one is into the "Dark Arts" of ski boot fitting - one simply walks into a shop and buys boots assuming nothing can be done and you just have to live with any structural weakness you may have.

My view - which I think is the same as many on here - is that any investment should first be made getting the boots adjusted to your physiology. This requires skill, knowledge and experience - and will thus cost.

As the Binding/Boot interface is critical in getting the correct Ramp Angle - then that may preclude taking a punt on some heavily discounted skis. CEM and Spyderjon have the expertise that is needed. eg.

https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/2013-09-09-17-07-34/ski-binding-delta-angles

https://www.solutions4feet.com/services/skier-alignment

"In addition to all this lateral balance adjustment we also look at fore / aft balance. This is often as, if not more, important as the lateral set up. Changes to ramp angle, cuff angle and binding delta can all contribute to giving you the very best equipment set up".

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 12-11-22 13:07; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
Rh2205 wrote:
I think it would be better to get some all mountain skis.

The problem with "All Mountain" skis is that they're not very good at anything!

I endorse this. Also, I've never heard anyone complain about the Head Joy series of skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Klamm Franzer wrote:

I endorse this. Also, I've never heard anyone complain about the Head Joy series of skis.

I think this is a great place to start.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all really useful, I’ve had a look at various reviews for the head skis & they all look pretty good. I’ve also found this head ski in what I think will be the best size for me, but it’s pure joy rather than real joy model. Is there significant difference to warrant the extra spend on the real joy model also had very good reviews.

https://www.snowandrock.com/p/head-womens-pure-joy-ski-with-joy-9-gw-binding-J1414038.html?colour=2924&utm_source=google&utm_medium=gdn&utm_campaign=SR-UK-PERF-ONG-PLA-NB-GOOGLE-PMAX2&gclid=Cj0KCQiApb2bBhDYARIsAChHC9u8aR-dUQnyDo_lbY3JxjnN3A0PqPr6hJgfPWn6BXiI3dy70-v5A3oaAueGEALw_wcB
ski holidays
Rh2205 wrote:
Thanks all really useful, I’ve had a look at various reviews for the head skis & they all look pretty good. I’ve also found this head ski in what I think will be the best size for me, but it’s pure joy rather than real joy model. Is there significant difference to warrant the extra spend on the real joy model also had very good reviews.

https://www.snowandrock.com/p/head-womens-pure-joy-ski-with-joy-9-gw-binding-J1414038.html?colour=2924&utm_source=google&utm_medium=gdn&utm_campaign=SR-UK-PERF-ONG-PLA-NB-GOOGLE-PMAX2&gclid=Cj0KCQiApb2bBhDYARIsAChHC9u8aR-dUQnyDo_lbY3JxjnN3A0PqPr6hJgfPWn6BXiI3dy70-v5A3oaAueGEALw_wcB

S&R have that as a beginner ski and as such will be very soft and forgiving - so maybe not the best choice if wanting to push on and improve. I suspect the Real Joy would be better for taking you to the next level. https://www.head.com/en_GB/real-joy-315731-set.html

http://youtube.com/v/KQoX9foKIiM

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 12-11-22 17:26; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Rh2205, Generally (for bigger manufacturers with large ranges anyway), as you up the skill level, and along with it the price, the construction and materials of the ski improves. At the top end you are paying for some kind of wood core and maybe titanal construction. At the bottom, it's more like chewing gum and floor scrapings. Unless you make a habit of skiing rocks, the more expensive ones will last longer and you won't outgrow them as quickly.

The Pure Joy is a beginner ski. Buying beginner skis is a waste of money because every hire shop has tons of them – it's better to wait until you can ski something that won't hold you back after a season.
latest report
My wife has the Head Total Joys.

She's qualified to Basi L2 and carves like a demon. She reckons they're the best skis she ever had. Light swing weight (Graphene in the build?) and good in deeper snow too.
latest report
GeorgeVII wrote:
........Graphene in the build?........

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@spyderjon, or marketing hype????
latest report
As far as I can make out, the Head Joy range looks like this:

Easy Joy (69 waist) - Total Beginner ski
Pure Joy (73 waist) - Beginner/early intermediate ski

Real Joy (73 waist) - Intermediate/Light advanced skiers
Absolute Joy (79 waist) - Intermediate/Light advanced skiers - slightly more versatile

Epic Joy (65 waist) - Advanced/Lower or Lighter Expert
Super Joy (75 waist) - Advanced/Lower or Lighter Expert
Total Joy (85 waist) - Advanced/Lower or Lighter Expert - more versatile as wider

Power Joy (68 waist) - Advanced/Expert

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 12-11-22 23:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
can’t advise on sizing but i have fairly significant ankle tendenitis (flares make we walk with a cane Eh oh! not ideal. i also have super dodgy knees. moral story probably shouldn’t ski! if skied all my life and i’m not about to stop now! i now ski a very tame forgiving cloud 8. i don’t need to flex as much and i can comfortably ski down almost anything on. The down side is that every other ski shops rents these out so yiu need to label well!! they are not exciting/cool in anyway but they keep me skiing and skiing well! worth a look
snow conditions
SkiAdd wrote:
can’t advise on sizing but i have fairly significant ankle tendenitis (flares make we walk with a cane Eh oh! not ideal. i also have super dodgy knees. moral story probably shouldn’t ski! if skied all my life and i’m not about to stop now! i now ski a very tame forgiving cloud 8. i don’t need to flex as much and i can comfortably ski down almost anything on. The down side is that every other ski shops rents these out so yiu need to label well!! they are not exciting/cool in anyway but they keep me skiing and skiing well! worth a look
- and get boot and binding well fitted to your style of skiing is a must.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy