Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski famille

Poster: A snowHead
Could anyone who has used ski famille please help me ? We will be going to Les gets in January with our 20 month old daughter. We don’t have family to come along with us hence we’ve booked with this company. At what stage do we meet the nannies ? I’m a bit concerned that since we planned all this, our daughter has decided to go into clingy mode. I’m getting a bit worried that I won’t do much skiing . ( have low expectations anyway this year but still Eh oh!Eh oh! ️) does anyone have any advice or similar stories to allay my fears ?? Many thanks in advance !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Clingy mode is absolute par for the course at that age, though from now till January is a long time in the life of such a young child and she might have changed yet again by then. One of my grand-daughters was clinging to mother and screaming at being dropped at nursery recently, but then played happily all day long.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The SF nannies are absolutely brilliant; admittedly we didn’t go skiing with them until our children were 3+, but I still worried they’d be clingy. In the event I felt slightly miffed that my darling offspring didn’t give me a second glance as soon as there was a nanny in the vicinity. Fingers crossed you’ll be fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you have probably picked THE best company for you current situation. SF are renowned for their childcare.

If you want any hints/tips on Les Gets itself, do ask, I’ve enjoyed successful family trips there now for a decade.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Clingy mode is absolute par for the course at that age, though from now till January is a long time in the life of such a young child and she might have changed yet again by then. One of my grand-daughters was clinging to mother and screaming at being dropped at nursery recently, but then played happily all day long.

Thank you for your reply ! This is reassuring to know , even if it ends up in a screaming match she’ll be fine
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
swoafs wrote:
The SF nannies are absolutely brilliant; admittedly we didn’t go skiing with them until our children were 3+, but I still worried they’d be clingy. In the event I felt slightly miffed that my darling offspring didn’t give me a second glance as soon as there was a nanny in the vicinity. Fingers crossed you’ll be fine.
thanks for the reply ! Yes we are chancing this a bit early but I’m desperate for a ski ! Fingers crossed !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timmycb5 wrote:
I think you have probably picked THE best company for you current situation. SF are renowned for their childcare.

If you want any hints/tips on Les Gets itself, do ask, I’ve enjoyed successful family trips there now for a decade.

Oh thanks very much ! We will be there January 7th for a week. So far, there’s not a lot of snow and Val Thorens have pushed back their opening . What’s been your experience of the snow conditions up there ? Will Jan be ok do you think? We will have the car so can drive up to morzine if needs be .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Toothfairy2750, I think it's down to Morzine, not up..... but in snow-season terms mid November and early January are different worlds. It will probably be fine, but nobody can tell you! Avoriaz is up - but if snow conditions lower down are iffy, it'll be crowded. But you're going in a really good quiet week - the chances are it will be absolutely fine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Toothfairy2750, as @pam w, says Morzine is lower at 1,000m whereas the Les Gets village is higher at 1,172m.

It’s too early to worry about lack of snow, but I would be absolutely amazed if there wasn’t plenty of snow down to village level.

At the very worst, assuming something horrific happens with the weather, you can get the TC Chavannes 6 man gondola up (and down at the end of the day) to the Grand Cry area which is at about 1,500m. You can get the 4 man up from there and either come back down, or turn right and head into the bowl, which is higher than the village and should be fully covered. Without checking a piste map, the bowl has 4 lifts, 4 blues*, 4 reds and two blacks which should keep you busy for a while.

*its 4 now, but Tulip was “regraded” from a red to a blue when they spend a lot of money installing a new lift system that services it. It’s also probably my favourite run in Les Gets, but the top is steep and ALWAYS icy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Toothfairy2750, as @pam w, says Morzine is lower at 1,000m whereas the Les Gets village is higher at 1,172m.

It’s too early to worry about lack of snow, but I would be absolutely amazed if there wasn’t plenty of snow down to village level.

At the very worst, assuming something horrific happens with the weather, you can get the TC Chavannes 6 man gondola up (and down at the end of the day) to the Grand Cry area which is at about 1,500m. You can get the 4 man up from there and either come back down, or turn right and head into the bowl, which is higher than the village and should be fully covered. Without checking a piste map, the bowl has 4 lifts, 4 blues*, 4 reds and two blacks which should keep you busy for a while.

*its 4 now, but Tulip was “regraded” from a red to a blue when they spend a lot of money installing a new lift system that services it. It’s also probably my favourite run in Les Gets, but the top is steep and ALWAYS icy.

Oh thank you so much. This is excellent information . I’ll save this post to take with us !! Much appreciated
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve check my piste map (I have one on my desk, I’m very sad Laughing ) and it’s 5 blues and 5 reds. I was right about the lifts and the blacks though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
@Toothfairy2750, I think it's down to Morzine, not up..... but in snow-season terms mid November and early January are different worlds. It will probably be fine, but nobody can tell you! Avoriaz is up - but if snow conditions lower down are iffy, it'll be crowded. But you're going in a really good quiet week - the chances are it will be absolutely fine.
thanks a lot Pam. Must of been avoriaz i was thinking of ! Yes lots of time yet left for a dump down !!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timmycb5 wrote:
I’ve check my piste map (I have one on my desk, I’m very sad Laughing ) and it’s 5 blues and 5 reds. I was right about the lifts and the blacks though.
oh cheers, thanks for checking ! That’ll get our ski legs working anwyay . All being well, we intend to get about a bit. I like to see the areas as much as we can.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Toothfairy2750 wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
oh cheers, thanks for checking ! That’ll get our ski legs working anwyay . All being well, we intend to get about a bit. I like to see the areas as much as we can.

In that case do make the effort to get over to Mt Chery. You can’t ski or get a lift to it, but there is a land train that goes round all day long and it only takes a couple of mins. The lift systems getting up there could do with replacing but they’re worth suffering as there’s some excellent skiing up there. I’m January you’ll still find corduroy late in the afternoon
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This sounds like something we would do for sure . Thanks very much for all the info !
snow report
I've been with SF to Let's Gets. Single dad with 2 under 7s.... must have been mad. The set up with SF was brilliant and the nannies were great. Leave them with the nannies, turn round and walk out of the door.... no fuss just go! It'll bi'reet
latest report
Gaz_H wrote:
I've been with SF to Let's Gets. Single dad with 2 under 7s.... must have been mad. The set up with SF was brilliant and the nannies were great. Leave them with the nannies, turn round and walk out of the door.... no fuss just go! It'll bi'reet
yes you are mad ! Very Happy But also , I think if you don’t do these things, then you’ll never do them !! Sounds great though. I’m hoping it’ll all go well. It’s the only way we’ll get to go !
snow report
The nannies that we saw with SF in Les Gets were very good. We lived there in the winter for nearly 18 years so we saw a lot of them. They take the younger children, who are not skiing, round the village in double buggies and are often found on the ski buses singing away. And always seemed diligent about getting hats, mittens, sunglasses etc on the little ones. We benefited with 4 or 5 year old grandchildren who skied with the same ski school that SF used, as that school allowed a SF nanny to tag along at the back - very useful for picking up the odd one etc, so when we picked up we got a report from the instructor and also the SF nanny. Always seemed caring - and when there was a ‘boy’ nanny they were terrific value and looked to create lots of fun.
latest report
@Toothfairy2750, Clingy can be heartbreaking when dropping off but as others have said as soon as you are out of sight everything is fine.
However, you may find it so stressful it spoils your holiday, consider getting your partner dropping off Clingy whilst you stay out of sight. One friends child in our group was so extreme we made both parents stay behind and we dropped off their Clingy - it worked a treat. Have confidence in the SF staff - they will have seen it all before!
One word of advice do not try and go and see if Clingy is OK - sods law dictates he/she will see you and quite frankly that's it for the rest of the week and he/she wont go back!!
Our two are grown up now and their only bad memory is being given a pickled egg and a bag of crisps for lunch in the ESF creche in Tignes! Very Happy
latest report
It’s funny you say this because I’ve been thinking I will get my hubby to drop her off to the nannies. We have great success in nursery at home with this so hope to keep this going . Yes I don’t think it’ll make sense to go and check. They’re professionals and they’ve done it before . It’s about trust isn’t it ?! The pickled egg made me laugh Very Happy
ski holidays
@Toothfairy2750, They are mortally offended by the Pickled egg in a bag of crisps to this day Toofy Grin
snow report
We used SF twice in Les Gets and both times they were excellent. The staff quality is high, the food was alright for chalet fodder and the wine was decent. I've done loads of teaching of kids to ski and having a nanny with the groups is useful for wees, poos and falls. Also good for the kids Laughing
Would highly recommend and also you can slope off (ha!) as they come to the chalet to get the littlies so while they are distracted you can bolt ! There's usually a night where you can go out as well which is always exciting.
snow report
@Toothfairy2750, Rugby pass Clingy into the nannies arms on your way to the boot room. Kids get over it quickly, nannies are used to it and it is far less stressful for you.

We did it one year and the number of mums making things worse by hanging around was embarrassing.
ski holidays
Quote:

One word of advice do not try and go and see if Clingy is OK - sods law dictates he/she will see you and quite frankly that's it for the rest of the week and he/she wont go back!!

This - out two were never clingy, but I did once hide in a snowbank for about 5 minutes to ensure that one of them didn't see me when they went past in a lesson once as a precaution. Of course the first thing he said when I picked him up later was "I saw you..." rolling eyes
snow report
My no 2 son once hid in a little gulley, little knowing that his mother would choose to ski pass and spot him sitting there...... smoking.......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy