Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Car Hire French side??

Poster: A snowHead
Oh, right - must have missed that! Still, they are a lot easier to use, if not a reasonable substitute for winter tyres! I am driving to, through, and around the Alps in early April - have always had winter tyres in the past, and have new Michelin all-climate tyres now, but no chains that fit. I'm unlikely to have problems and am thinking about snow socks.

With car rental in Ferney Voltaire I think you just have to be prepared - make sure the provided snowsocks, or chains, fit before you leave the garage. Last few times I've checked there's been little difference in price between the Swiss and French sides, and it's only worth doing the latter for a big saving.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
viciousvulture wrote:
I was just wondering in case I need to buy a set after collecting the car. But if they come with snow socks then that's compliance.

If you book direct with Budget for the French side some of their cars come with snow tyres ( you select your preference when booking) as standard but snow chains are at extra cost.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thread reboot, but what's being currently being asked from Geneva are eye watering/kidney selling prices on the Swiss side-£700+ for anything, compared to £250 for the French side over Christmas week.
Am thinking either Lyon/Voltaire car hire and buy some snow socks in the UK to take over.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Am thinking either Lyon/Voltaire car hire and buy some snow socks in the UK to take over.[/quote]

Friends have done that in the past and when they collected the car it was nothing like they had booked so snow socks didn’t fit and they ended up buying some locally.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@andmelffion, Will try your suggestion with Budget direct...thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought snow socks from the Feu Vert in Ferney. Went to return them, after not using them, at the Feu Vert in Albertville (as the one in FV would've closed by the time we arrived). They wouldn't accept them as Feu Vert are franchise, so it has to be returned at the original place of purchase. However they also said the return of snow socks aren't permitted as it's a legal product. This was repeated at the Feu Vert in Annecy too. So we shoved them in the suitcase, now time to put them on eBay! rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowhound wrote:
Thread reboot, but what's being currently being asked from Geneva are eye watering/kidney selling prices on the Swiss side-£700+ for anything, compared to £250 for the French side over Christmas week.
Am thinking either Lyon/Voltaire car hire and buy some snow socks in the UK to take over.

This why im now flying into Lyon... Ive started a thread about Lyon snow chains/socks etc if some useful info https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5079129#5079129
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In the end, got a 9 seater (travelling with another family) from the French side for £550, half the price of the Swiss side. Rental is with Alamo but phoned up the consolidator (Economy Rentals) who confirmed that the tyres are 'all season' which I am taking to mean winterized.
Reckon we'll drive out on the Swiss motorway (on another thread, it seems the chance of being checked for a vignette are pretty much zero) but will pay for one on return to use the motorway-all things considered, a small extra for a much simpler journey back.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowhound, My guess is that you won't get winterized tyres. If winter tyres are confirmed, I've always seen that plastered all over the booking page, both direct and through consolidators. I'd plan to be disappointed on that front.

Last week the French side was its usual chaos. I'd booked a 4x4 intermediate with snow tyres. Europcar insisted that the category I'd booked wasn't 4x4, even when I showed them the booking screenshot. "Yes, some of the cars in this category can be 4x4, but they aren't all, and we don't have any that are". At least I did get the snow tyres.

After a long discussion they agreed I could have a second driver for free instead.

Still, it was £270 (+40CHF for a vignette) for 8 days over half term, which was a pretty good price.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowdave, Thanks, it is all cancellable I would add! I was told by @Davidof on another thread who seems to live locally that it is the law for the car to be winterized from the French side...but then he did caveat that by saying 'Zis is France' so it might not happen. I have emailed Alamo directly to ask and will wait for a reply; phone if necessary and then rethink if necessary.
We are going in a relatively quiet week I would add (16-23 Dec)....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowhound, cars only needs chains at a minimum to legally drive in the French “winterised” zones. When are you going and to which location?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ozboy, yep I know that so suspecting I'd get summers + chains in the boot, I did push specifically over the tyres and were told 'all season tyres'. Think I'm going to phone Alamo direct.
Les Menuires, week before Christmas.
Any doubt, I'll cancel and see how the Swiss side prices change over the coming months.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowhound, Thats a long time away and suspect prices will reset over the summer. I would personally go Swiss side as value the security of winters when driving in December. Take a look at the car rental booking service on the GVA airport where prices are cheaper than rentalcars.com and fully cancellable. I keep a close eye and often cancel and rebook if prices go down.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowhound, if you are resolved to pay for Swiss vignette for the journey back to the airport, why take the risk - however small - of being fined for NOT having one on the way out? You could buy one at the border crossing in Ferney Voltaire - right outside the airport, before you go under the runway. Bardonnex is likely to be busier, to get one on the way back.

Like @Ozboy, I doubt that "winterised" means you'll get snow tyres. It means the car will conform to the French law. Will have chains, and if it's your lucky day, they'll be the right size.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ozboy, @pam w, thanks both. Good call on the vignette, not thinking straight there. Didnt realise you could buy one on the way into Switzerland from the FV side.
Ozboy, thanks for the heads up about the booking service-will look and keep looking. Am seeing the FV booking as my fallback and will keep considering options, including private transfer if this is equivalent to a 9 seater hire from the Swiss side and conditions are looking dodgy.
latest report
So I know this is a "French side" thread, but I followed a link in one of the posts above so that's my justification Happy

Looking at the GVA site for car hire, a number of suppliers are asking for International Driving Permits in addition to the renter's National licence.

I guess it's relatively straightforward to get one at a Post Office or the like, but I was wondering if this has always been the case and was just never checked. I've hired in France, Portugal and Finland over the last couple of years and never noticed this before.

Thanks
CW snowHead
ski holidays
I've been following up the same thought, as I'm renting a car in Turin on Sunday. I've come to the conclusion my British driving licence will be OK. Hope I'm right. I rented a car in Geneva in October (Swiss side) and was certainly not asked for an IDP.
latest report
pam w wrote:
I've been following up the same thought, as I'm renting a car in Turin on Sunday. I've come to the conclusion my British driving licence will be OK. Hope I'm right. I rented a car in Geneva in October (Swiss side) and was certainly not asked for an IDP.

Not that what happens in Turin is a good indicactor of what might happen in Geneva, but I'd be interested in knowing how you get on.
Have a great trip Happy
CW snowHead
ski holidays
cardweg wrote:
So I know this is a "French side" thread, but I followed a link in one of the posts above so that's my justification Happy

Looking at the GVA site for car hire, a number of suppliers are asking for International Driving Permits in addition to the renter's National licence.

I guess it's relatively straightforward to get one at a Post Office or the like, but I was wondering if this has always been the case and was just never checked. I've hired in France, Portugal and Finland over the last couple of years and never noticed this before.

Thanks
CW snowHead

Rented many many times from Swiss site since Brexit from all the companies and never been asked for an International Driving Permit. The purpose of an IDP is to translate a national license in a foreign language into a format that can be understood internationally. This is not applicable for a U.K. (or Australian) license in CH. I suppose it will be required if someone holds a national
license written in foreign characters.
latest report
@cardweg My understanding is that Brexit made it uncertain what the regulations would be for British drivers in two areas, post full withdrawal: the IDP and the Lichtenstein equivalent of the V5C. If you’re being asked to provide an IDP, or told by a car rental site that you may need one, then whatever the reality is in international law and local enforcement, I’d just get one anyway. Then you’re covered. As you say, it’s easy enough and just needs a visit to a PO that can issue one on the spot (only main POs have the ability to issue). You can do the usual internet forum circuitous speculation and you’ll get back a range of opinions, but it’ll be your problem on the day if you don’t have documentation demanded by an official.

In a similar vein, in theory if you drive a non-EU car into Lichtenstein you’re meant to have the international equivalent of a V5C, which can be obtained for free from the DVLA. I got one for our car last year as we thought we might transit Lichtenstein on our summer Alpine holiday. I was pretty sure it wasn’t going to be needed but I thought why not get one anyway? It was easy enough (there’s an application form on the DVLA website).

@snowhound You can buy a vignette online ahead of your trip e.g. from TollTickets. Many shops and garages in CH sell them, as do shops in France near the Swiss border, as well as at the actual border crossing. If you order online beware that many intermediaries charge a big fee on top of the CHF 40 for the vignette. TollTickets are the exception, but being EU-based, have a fairly long lead-time before delivery (7-14 working days). There’s no short-term option: the vignette is valid for 13 months (the designated year + Jan of the next year).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 23-02-23 6:03; edited 2 times in total
latest report
There is a post office at GVA where you can purchase vignettes. Its on the right hand side, on the way to the hire car desks.
snow report
Although best to check first if the FR side car already has a vignette as you are travelling in 2023 and good chance someone has driven the car in CH this year.
snow report
@Ozboy, yep. I left one on mine as a public service. If anyone gets a grey Renault Captur from Europcar and benefits, feel free to raise a glass to me in the pub Happy

Tho' a friend did tell me to use vaseline on the windscreen so I could reuse it, and that you can also get them off with a hairdryer.

There was evidence that a previous renter had done precisely this...
snow report
LaForet wrote:
@cardweg You can do the usual internet forum circuitous speculation and you’ll get back a range of opinions, but it’ll be your problem on the day if you don’t have documentation demanded by an official.

Absolutely. If my renter says I need one, I’ll be getting one. No need to be standing in GVA at 8pm arguing with a rental agent who is ready to go home for the night Happy

Not having driven on the French autoroutes in some time, is there an app for the tolls or is it a case of card or cash these days?
ski holidays
If you're only driving from Gva to one of the French ski stations, no point in getting a "doofer" - just use card. Between Gva and Chamonix there are only 2 toll stations, takes a couple of minutes at most.

As for IDPs, not necessary - this is authoritative guidance. https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit
snow conditions
@cardweg, I've never been asked for an IDP renting a car in Geneva at either the French or Swiss side, or the printout of your licence details from the DVLA.

There is no app for using the French autoroutes. You can get a transceiver (lots of posts here about that) but unless you are on your own it is not worth it. At the toll booth you pick up a ticket (I try and do it without actually stopping) then when you leave the peage you enter the ticket into the slot swipe your card over the card reader (no need to insert it) and away you go. It takes about 30 seconds at most.
snow conditions
Hired a car last month Swiss side for once. All good except Europcar asked if I was going to take it into France. I asked why, she said there is a 50 franc surcharge for crossing the border. I said of course I was staying in Switzerland. Had a great uninsured weekend skiing in les gets just after the snowfall mid January

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 23-02-23 13:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@risb98, you took a major risk. If anything had gone wrong in France (e.g some idiot driving into the back of you) you'd have been right in the merde.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
@risb98, you took a major risk. If anything had gone wrong in France (e.g some idiot driving into the back of you) you'd have been right in the merde.

Yes I was aware of that risk thanks.
Main message for this thread is the extra fee being charged by some rental companies on the Swiss side
latest report
I've looked at a few prices recently and found the French side no cheaper than the Swiss side. Where are people getting these cheap deals from?
snow report
@risb98, the "risk" is that you probably wouldn't be insured to drive in France if you didn't declare it. Were you really aware that you were likely driving without insurance? Confused

50CHF is a high cross-border fee compared to most of the other companies I think.
snow report
@pam w, i just compared both sides for the EOSB week using rental cars and auto-europe.co.uk. I also checked it on sixt website. No real difference, especially when you add the vignette, snow tires and faff.
My surprise came when I oscillated between flying to GVA and Lyon.
I would have thought Lyon would be cheaper, being French et al.
latest report
Quote:

I've looked at a few prices recently and found the French side no cheaper than the Swiss side.

It is usually but not always. That is why I check both.

I've just had a look at an economy car for a week from March 27th: French side, £214, Swiss side £296. OK only £82 or 40% in it but I'd go for the French side, neither inluded chain hire. But there is a lot more faff hiring from the Swiss side.
snow conditions
Those are both really cheap, @johnE, I'm looking at 31 March for 8 days (for son, 5 of them so need reasonable size) and it's twice that. I agree the French side is fine, with cars in the terminal, rather than down the road, waiting for shuttle etc. And most of the time at the end of March winter tyres are not going to be a deal breaker.
latest report
@pam w, I just had a look at my usual agent Argus car hire and big cars are twice that of economy ones. In this case it works out cheeper for a ford focus estate to rent from the Swiss side rather than the French side.
snow report
It might be cheaper to rent two small cars than one bigger one!
snow report
pam w wrote:

I’ve always hired from the Swiss side, last time was January this year. I’ve never been asked if I was taking the car into France, however I was asked on one occasion if I was going through the MB tunnel into Italy.

Is it a recent thing or something that i have entirely missed for the last 10 yrs or so and never been asked and got lucky that you can only drive the hire car in the country you collected it from I.e Swiss side of Geneva can only be driven in Switzerland and if collecting from the french quarter it can only be driven in France?
latest report
I was asked about driving into France when I hired a Swiss car in October - and paid an additional fee, can't remember how much, but not a huge deal.

That was the first time I'd hired a car in Geneva for some years, but I don't remember being asked before.
snow report
cardweg wrote:
Not having driven on the French autoroutes in some time, is there an app for the tolls or is it a case of card or cash these days?

If you know someone with a péage doofer, and they’re willing to lend it to you and be billed for your charges, then you can borrow it - they’re transferable. My brother and I used to share one as we rarely went to France at the same time. He reimbursed me after the bill came through. If you plan to drive to France in the next couple of years, it might be worth getting one anyway and using it for this trip. Again, they aren’t vehicle-specific other than that there are different ones for HGVs versus cars and vans.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
As for IDPs, not necessary - this is authoritative guidance. https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Thanks Pam. Was in a post office today for something else & noticed the sign, so asked. The IDP requires a passport photo & £5.50. Takes about 5 mins all in.
They couldn’t find Switzerland on their list, but could find France.
For the sake of £5.50 I might just get one in case I’m asked, as some of the hire companies say they require them. As I said elsewhere, better have one when the agent asks than start an argument at 8 pm where they are ready to go home for the night….. and just might, leaving me carless and 150km away from my bed for the night. Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy