Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler on the cheap

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at a quick solo trip to Whistler this January having not been there since 2001. I realise cheap and Whistler do not go hand in hand.....I guess the goal is to make as affordable as possible.

Pricing as follows, I don't think it can be done any cheaper....Any suggestions?

Any way to get get Pangea Pod any cheaper? Looks to be the only chance I can streamline these costs further.

Dates - Friday 13th - Friday 19th

Flights - €280 plus airmiles -cheapest date likely due to its being a Friday on the 13th:)
Airport Hotel - €80 (as flight lands at 7pm)
Transfer - €50 (7am or 9am departure)
Pangea Pod - €670
Life Pass - €450 Epic Local 5 days
Food and Drink - €300

Total €1830
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah - I went last year for a week - definitely prices have gone up a lot. Are there no shuttles at that time of night? Wouldn't be worth missing a day's skiing for travel.

You could try the HI Hostel (walking distance to the Brewery at Function for eats and beer) or one of the indy ones I guess to shave some money off but may not be worth it for more difficult access to lifts/village.

Think 300 budget for food and drink is probably on the low side too unless you are planning on a lot of self catering.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Instead of airport hotel take a bus into Vancouver. A hostel will be cheaper and you can get a cheaper shuttle from downtown to whistler than from the airport.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good tips guys. Keep them coming. I need to shave a few more euros of this to get it approved by the treasury!

Dave you are right. Food budget is light, however I am trying to get Pangea to throw in breakfast free for the stay. Trying my luck with them as I was once offered a similar deal though never took up.

Boarder2020 - Good point. Am looking at this option now. Transfer cost will be much the same but a cheaper overnight stay would be good. Its such a pain my flight arrives at 7pm. No options for a cheap transfer after this time it seems.

Can anyone suggest a good cheap hostel downtown close to the bus station?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now if only i could manage to get and Edge Pass being a Canadian local.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
it would be friday 20th not 19th bruv
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are happy to go full ski bum mode you can also sleep in Vancouver airport. Have been stuck there before and it's manageable. Obviously not the best night sleep, but hopefully with a bit of sleep on the plane and bus too to make up for it and it's doable.

Also you could try the rideshare apps/Facebook groups. They will be cheaper for sure, and you maybe have the possibility of getting a ride the evening you land.

€300 euros is easily doable for food if you are happy self catering (assuming you have some kind of kitchen accessible) and don't need alcohol. Biggest bag of oats and biggest milk will be less than €10 and cover your breakfasts for the whole trip, spend a bit more and get some peanut butter and frozen fruit so spice it up a bit. You can get boiling water at some of the lodges so take your own tea/coffee/hot chocolate if you like hot drinks as it's a big saving. Also you can take instant noodles and use the water for a quick cheap lunch. The days of $5 meals at el furnies have gone but they still do cheap food. Around $20 will get you a huge 3 course meal at sphagetti factory.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are happy to go full ski bum mode you can also sleep in Vancouver airport. Have been stuck there before and it's manageable. Obviously not the best night sleep, but hopefully with a bit of sleep on the plane and bus too to make up for it and it's doable.

Also you could try the rideshare apps/Facebook groups. They will be cheaper for sure, and you maybe have the possibility of getting a ride the evening you land.

€300 euros is easily doable for food if you are happy self catering (assuming you have some kind of kitchen accessible) and don't need alcohol. Biggest bag of oats and biggest milk will be less than €10 and cover your breakfasts for the whole trip, spend a bit more and get some peanut butter and frozen fruit so spice it up a bit. You can get boiling water at some of the lodges so take your own tea/coffee/hot chocolate if you like hot drinks as it's a big saving. Also you can take instant noodles and use the water for a quick cheap lunch. The days of $5 meals at el furnies have gone but they still do cheap food. Around $20 will get you a huge 3 course meal at sphagetti factory.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Most of the current village was still under construction that last time you were there so it has been built up quite a bit and nothing cheap added. Squamish is a bit cheaper if you can stay there a bit.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sleeping at the airport could very well be an option. Really have no desire to see downtown Vancouver. Back in 2000/01 it was bad enough!

Pangea seems the best option for accommodation still. Pushing back to the first week of Feb looks like a little more of a saving. Really hoping they come back to me throwing in breakfast, but not holding my breath.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My snowboard bum days are somewhat behind me, however...

Whistler isn't the cheapest place, so there is that. Most tourists are concentrated right in the village though, and there's a lot more of it than that. The local buses are good & cheap when they're working, and there's a lot of AirBnB type accommodation out of the main village. I'm not an expert, I sofa surf. There are better and cheaper cafes / carry outs which aren't in the village itself. For accommodation there are also two RV parks [one north, the other south], both with cafes which are usually decent, and both with "cabins" which can be rented and which may be worth checking out. Those have their own shuttles, but they're not all that flexible and you're in a pretty bleak place without a vehicle. Watch the booking conditions with all accommodation too, hotels are generally no-cost cancellable, but that's not true for small businesses.

That is a very cheap flight already. However my own approach back in the day would be to fly in, then catch an overnight Greyhound to a resort. That was then, this is now, but long distance buses still exist. Anyway, that saved a hotel fee by sleeping on the bus. Obviously you need to pick your target destination to optimise all the times. And work out in advance where and when the bus stops. I nearly died in Revelstoke after being dropped off in the dark at 04:00 in about minus 30. As a bum I used to make use of random hotels' spa and concierge facilities. Most hotels (including the YVR Fairmont) you can just walk in and drink their free coffee. You can't use their WiFi, but airport WiFi and Starbucks' is free.

I can't remember when they built the Sky Train (link from YVR to downtown etc) but that's easier now and you've less chance of accidentally ending up in a bad part of town. €80 sounds very cheap for an airport hotel, are you sure that's not another bus ride away? Otherwise I'd not really want to have to waste a night and then get into Whistler late without anywhere to change or put your bags. There are [used to be] multiple companies operating Vancouver [and or YVR] shuttles to Whistler, some of which are focused on day trippers, so should start early. As I think someone suggested, it may be cheaper to get to Squamish, stay there (cheaper hotels than YVR, Vancouver or Whistler), then take another bus in the morning. But it's way easier to cost optimise almost anywhere other than Whistler or Banff.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Your right Phil, €80 for a hotel is way to cheap. Looking now and using airmiles points for the Hilton Downtown for the night.

Also managed to reduce that flight further with additional airmiles! €111.45 now return with BA!

I'm 43 and whilst was on the snow for much of my 20's does it ever really leave us:)

For ease and price i think Pangea is still best. Hope i survive 6 nights in a pod! Id say the body will be so tired and so Ill sleep pretty well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy