Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Young Family of beginners - where for mid Dec?

Poster: A snowHead

Newbie here! We have finally decided to embark on a ski trip. As a family of 5 and 3 children aged 13,10 and 7 its going to be a challenge as we have never been skiing before but we are excited.
We definitely want to stay in a mountain resort and would prefer
- not more than 1.5hrs (90 minutes) drive from the main airports e.g. Innsbruk, Turin, Geneva, Lyon..
- good for beginners to learn (of course!)
- we are planning the week before xmas so not too overcrowded
- decent serviced (not private) self catering accomodation

The likes of Obergugl, Avoriaz, Lech, Cervinia have come up but we really don't know how to decide.
Budget wise we have saved up a lot so we will pay for the right place.

What do you think? Thanks! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you sure about mid December? It's very early, snow cover may not be very good, if any in lower resorts. Beginning/mid Jan is also quiet, but statistically better snow conditions

If you really want mid December, then look for high altitude resorts with extensive snow making.

With beginner kids I would also look ski in/ski out locations, close to school meeting points. Commuting with beginner kids quickly gets old.

Obergugl is a good bet. Also check out Tignes Le Lac, Val D'Isire, Val Thorens, Meribel Mottaret, Les Arcs 1800 and above, La Plagne 1800 and above- not sure about your transfer time requirement though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Oleski, is right about dates, and much else, such as the need to be very close to your ski lessons. You will all need lessons all week. Mid December can be quite cheap, but you'd need to go to a high resort, such as Tignes Val Claret - lots of resorts won't be open then. Mid January would give you a better chance of good snow.

What do you mean by "serviced" accommodation? If you want to get a good idea of what's available have a look at the Peak Retreats website - they generally have good quality apartments on their books.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IME. In Mid Dec, the least important thing is transfer time.

It's early so you need height or a reputation for early snow cover: https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/top-10-early-season-ski-resorts-europe/

So aside from snow cover - quality of ski school; decent learner slopes, with slopes to progress to; possibly free beginner lifts; large area is not necessary (and has expensive lift pass); accommodation near slopes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One more vote to can mid December. Mid March is when you want if you’re total novices. You’ll have snow cover, nicer weather and nursery slopes.

In mid December you’ll have horrible weather, possibly zero nursery slopes and the risk of some horrible ice sheets if this mild weather continues.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oleski wrote:
Are you sure about mid December? It's very early, snow cover may not be very good, if any in lower resorts. Beginning/mid Jan is also quiet, but statistically better snow conditions

If you really want mid December, then look for high altitude resorts with extensive snow making.

With beginner kids I would also look ski in/ski out locations, close to school meeting points. Commuting with beginner kids quickly gets old.

Obergugl is a good bet. Also check out Tignes Le Lac, Val D'Isire, Val Thorens, Meribel Mottaret, Les Arcs 1800 and above, La Plagne 1800 and above- not sure about your transfer time requirement though.

Interesting... By mid December I mean 18th to Christmas but I hadn't considered the ski school meeting points. Thank you for the suggestions!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
@Oleski, is right about dates, and much else, such as the need to be very close to your ski lessons. You will all need lessons all week. Mid December can be quite cheap, but you'd need to go to a high resort, such as Tignes Val Claret - lots of resorts won't be open then. Mid January would give you a better chance of good snow.

What do you mean by "serviced" accommodation? If you want to get a good idea of what's available have a look at the Peak Retreats website - they generally have good quality apartments on their books.

Thank you Pam. By serviced I meant it being part of a hotel with staff and service. Privately hosted accomodation is just too risky. I'll check the websites as that hadn't occured to us. And Tignes Val Claret. Thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:

It's early so you need height or a reputation for early snow cover: https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/top-10-early-season-ski-resorts-europe/

So aside from snow cover - quality of ski school; decent learner slopes, with slopes to progress to; possibly free beginner lifts; large area is not necessary (and has expensive lift pass); accommodation near slopes.

That's a really good website - thanks! Given that we hadn't considered the snowmaking risk for going the week before Christmas. Cervinia and Hintertux look good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

By serviced I meant it being part of a hotel with staff and service. Privately hosted accomodation is just too risky.

Ah, OK. I agree that dealing with private apartment owners poses some risks. Not ideal for a first holiday when you have no experience. Scams do exist.

But there are MASSES of self-contained apartments and chalets, of all standards from tiny "rabbit hutches" with bunk beds in the hall to luxury pads with swimming pools and gyms. The major tour operators feature loads of them in their brochures - and the Peak Retreats website gives a good idea of the "middling" apartments which you'd probably be interested in. You could book any of those with confidence. The Peak Retreats team are very knowledgeable and helpful, though they are not a "package" operator - you arrange your own travel.

Some will have reception desks, some will mean picking up a key in an office in town, some may not include linen and towels except at extra cost, some might get cleaned part way through the week (most won't), some might enable you to order fresh bread an croissants to be delivered for breakfast. Others won't, but the kids might enjoy experiencing the local boulangerie. Apartment deals through a tour operator are likely to include flights and transfers, and this can be the easiest option for your first holiday. Others might mean being quite self-sufficient, maybe hiring a car and driving, and will be easier if you speak some French.

There really is an enormous range and people's priorities and wishes vary. But what is NOT in question is that in mid-December your choice of resort will be severely limited and even some places with decent skiing "up high" may not have the snow at resort level which is probably part of your image of an ideal ski holiday.

If I were you I'd spend a couple of evenings trawling the websites of some of the big tour operators, with a glass of wine in hand.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bravo11, week commencing 18th of December is the Christmas week, it's not going to be quiet.

When you said mid December, I thought you were going to take the kids off school. Sound like that's not your plan. If you are sticking to the holidays, then your options are Christmas/NY weeks, HT, Easter.

Each period has its own pros and cons. If you want winter magic for Christmas/NY - then that's that. As they say Christmas is not the best time to ski, but the best way to spend Christmas is skiing.

Definitely look for high altitude snow sure resorts if you are going on 18th. And pack quality waterproofs, base and mid layers, neck warmers, goggles. Weather may not be on your side, but don't let it out you off, you are going to have a fantastic time. We go every year for Christmas and New Year

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 8-11-22 9:05; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hadn't caught on that you meant the Christmas week. Sorry. If you are stuck with school holidays and have decided to go at Christmas (which is generally a better choice than the following, New Year, week which is even busier) then you will have more choice of resorts, as many open fully that week, snow permitting.

But it's not far off.... and your choices now will be limited.

If you decide to go on a package holiday, where you will be delivered to your accommodation and have some (limited) help available from a tour operator rep. Some do package "learn to ski" week and you'll need all the help you can get to get your family kitted out with skis and boots and in the right place, at the right time, with a ski pass and a mini Mars Bar in your pockets. You probably won't all be in the same ski school group.

Do you have an indoor ski slope, or a dry ski slope, anywhere near you? A few lessons before you go would make a big difference.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're a family of five with children of similar ages to yours. For our first ski trip we went to Belle Plagne in the La Plagne/Paradiski area. We stayed in a ski in ski out apartment that we booked through a travel agent and drove from the UK. Must admit that I think some of the blue slopes in La Plagne are quite steep and the children were initially struggling to get to the ski school meeting point for their ski lessons (it was down a blue, quite steep hill). After having done extensive research on ski resorts in France, I have noticed that Alpe d'Huez and Courchevel have many green runs, which is what complete beginners need. They are also supposed to be snow sure and are within 90 minutes' drive of the nearest airports (Grenoble and Chambery).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are going 17-24 Dec as a family because of some very well placed teacher training days. Judging by the price and availability of accommodation (nearly half the price of half term week), this is not going to be a busy week. I reckon that the following week, which includes Christmas Day itself, will be far busier. We will be in Austria and can't see any problems with the snow cover at that point in the season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
nearly half the price of half term week),

This has always been the case for a Christmas week, it's still going to be busy

Klamm Franzer wrote:
I reckon that the following week, which includes Christmas Day itself, will be far busier. .

Also has always been the case - NY week is nearly as busy and as expensive as the HT week

Quote:
We will be in Austria and can't see any problems with the snow cover at that point in the season.

I mean sure there will be snow, the main question is how to get to it - by walking out of the hotel boot room, or by commuting every day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As the OP says, this is the week before Christmas and, unless you go to France, it should be very quiet. German, Dutch and Belgian Schools break up in the 23rd.

latest report
'Week before Christmas' is ambiguous on a British skiing forum. Christmas week starts when the schools break up in the UK, which is 17-18 of December this year. 'Week before Christmas [week]' therefore, the one commencing 10-11 of December.

That's why both me and Pam, misinterpreted OPs question.

Christmas week is a high season in the Alps, not as busy as NY and HT, but by no means quiet
snow conditions
bravo11 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

That's a really good website - thanks! Given that we hadn't considered the snowmaking risk for going the week before Christmas. Cervinia and Hintertux look good.

For Tux you would probably need to stay in Mayrhofen - so you can hedge your bets. Unfortunately Tux & Mayrhofen do not share the same lift pass (Mayhofren does share the ziller valley though), so it would have to be one or the other, but Tux could be the backup (would need to travel each day to Tux by free bus)
Mayhofren that time of year should have kids things on for Christmas & maybe a market or some events in the town.
ski holidays
Avoriaz is a good option, close to GVA, 100% ski in ski out, and the car free, snow covered streets make for quite a magical experience for kids, especially when you get a horse drawn sleigh from the welcome centre to your accommodation. I would know, Avoriaz is where I skied for the first time when I was about 6, and the Proclou area has some great slopes for beginners. It's also high enough that snow around Christmas should be fine.

Les Arcs is another good choice, especially as you can avoid coach transfers altogether and get the train to Bourg St Maurice, and then take the funicular up to Arc 1600, and if you're staying in one of the other Arcs, take the inter village shuttle (which I think is free).

If money is no object then Courchevel is a great option too. Extremely expensive but it is quite possibly the single best place for beginners. The Jardin Alpin area is quiet with plenty of greens which is perfect for beginners to learn without having experienced skiers speeding past, which is a problem that VT and Meribel have, as their beginner slopes double as major thoroughfares.

For accomodation, check out Pierre & Vacances, they run managed apart-hotels in most of the French resorts, which sound like what you're after. Though the quality can vary between their locations, in Avoriaz the Amara residence is very nice but quite expensive, but there are cheaper options as well, but which won't be as luxurious or have as many facilities.

I'd also second the suggestion of going to one of the indoor snow slopes if one is near you (though perhaps not if there are only dry slopes near you, dry slopes really hurt to fall on, and can leave a really bad first impression if they're your first experience of skiing, especially for the kids). The first week of lessons you'll be confined to the beginners' area, and won't be able to really take advantage of the ski area, but by doing that first week of lessons in the UK, you can be at a level where you can take on most blues when you're in the alps, meaning you can take much better advantage of what's on offer.
ski holidays
bravo...whilst not ticking the box for transfer time, have a look at Ste Foy

small, compact, wont be too busy Xmas week, decent restaurants, cost effective lift passes esp as beginners, good choice of ski schools, sledging slope

have a look at www.premiere-neige.co.uk or peakretreats who have accomodation with pools etc
ski holidays
@Oleski, I took Christmas week as the week containing Christmas day ie Saturday 24th to 31st. The week before Christmas is the week before that. I expect the week commencing 17th to be quiet in France. The schools haven't broken up and most people don't have that week off work saving all their leave for Christmas week..

@bravo11, Why the tight restriction on transfer time? Unless you are going to somewhere with rail access transfers are likely to be very slow on a Saturday to a ski station.
snow report
@bravo11, Obergurgl 100%. Tiny village, nursery slopes right on the doorstep, good ski school. It’s high altitude with plenty of alpine charm. Short transfer from Innsbruck.
snow conditions
@pam_w sage advice - thanks. I have been reading around. It is an education!
@oleski my apologies. I should have been clearer. Thank you for your help though..
@Motherofthree Alp dHeuz has come up quite a bit. I am now looking at that thanks. Courchevel is just too expensive
@Klamm Franzer it may not be as busy as other times but I am finding that a lot of places are booked up. Especially the apartments at hotels. Hopefully we find something that works for us!
@Gored I see what you mean. I hadnt thought of it that way. Thank you
@zaphod424 OK so Avoriaz is definitely up there but not Courchevel. We are looking into spending a day at Milton Keynes to get the basics in. Thanks for the pointers
@stefoy4me I had no idea about this resort....am looking into it. thanks
@johnE the issue with transfer time is that we don't want to spend the day traveling when its a long journey for us to the London airport and the whole ordeal of it can be really tiring.
@telford_mike Obergurgl seems like a no brainer. thanks
snow conditions
@bravo11, congratulations on taking all this on board, and taking the time to respond. It really is difficult, organising your first family holiday, I remember well spending hours and hours with the brochures (pre-internet days) and that feeling of brain fog and despair.

As for those "travelling days", they are desperately long, frustrating and expensive - there's no escaping that.

If it all seems like far too much hassle, and money, and risk, just remember why we're all here telling you about our own experiences and throwing advice at you. A family ski holiday can produce a kind of magic which is difficult to find in any other way (except perhaps a family holiday in a budget-priced chartered yacht - another story of triumph emerging from discomfort and sometimes naked fear). It's addictive. Be warned......
ski holidays
@bravo11, any possibility of you driving to the Alps? Solves a few issues if DIY and self catering. But would depend on if you have a suitable vehicle/starting location.

Pam's post about apartments at 08:44 is spot on. We've rented privately and through agencies many times without issue.

Being a family of newbies you need to to kiss and have convenience. You don't need the biggest, best, most sophisticated.
ski holidays
Thank you for all your insights and advice.
We ended up going to Obergurgl. Flight in to Innsbruck and a relatively short transfer to Obergurgl.
We booked the 2 bedroom apartment with Ski Haus and although it was very expensive it was perfect. It had ski hire, at the foot of slopes, spa, breakfast etc.
The snow was fantastic and a highlight was being able to take the cable car to the top of the mountain. The kids loved skiing so much that they even got some in on the last day for an hour before leaving for the airport.

I would recommend Obergurgl to newbies for sure.
ski holidays
Quote:

The kids loved skiing so much that they even got some in on the last day for an hour before leaving for the airport.

That's brilliant! thanks for reporting back - lots of people don't bother! You are now in for a lifetime of expensive holidays, you realise?
latest report
Wonderful to read! I concur with Pam. You're snookered now.

Have you considered where you'll go next?
latest report
Avoriaz Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy