Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any skiers with one kidney?

Poster: A snowHead
My son who is almost 9 is unfortunately facing a possibility that one of his kidneys will be removed, to keep the other one healthy . We are a skiing family and he very much enjoys skiing and l don’t know what this would mean for us… are there any skiers on here that ski with one kidney? Is it possible? Any special protection needed? My boy is a very cautious skier , can ski blues and some reds..
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bella2015,
Have a look at Sports and the solitary kidney: What parents of a young child with a solitary kidney should know
Can Urol Assoc J. 2014 Jul-Aug; 8: 233–235

"Parents should try to keep things in perspective. If they are not going to restrict a child from an activity based on the child having only one “head,” then they should not restrict the child from that activity based on having only one kidney."
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonpim, that's a great quote.

My brother (54) found out a couple of years ago that he only had one kidney. It's not that uncommon. Doesn't seem to have affected him much.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonpim, @under a new name, thank you so much for your reassurance… @under a new name, yes , l heard many people are born with one kidney and not know it…
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have both kidneys, but one, following various dalliances with kidney stones and subsequent medical interventions , has very little functionality, whilst the other has increased in size. I haven’t given it any thought for years in a skiing context until I saw this thread. My niece was also born with one kidney and whilst she has now given up skiing (the strange girl really didn’t like it) the kidney thing was never a consideration.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bella2015, mrs_mg has only had one kidney for >40 years. Never made a difference to what she could do, including skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ski lots, @mgrolf, thank you- this is really reassuring as well..my son is otherwise healthy so hopefully will not have too many limitations
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My nephew went skiing (School and University) with only one kidney having had one removed when he was a baby.

Didn't seem to stop him - including drinking at an appropriate age!

He did wear some sort of Kidney/lower back protector BUT that was it
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bella2015, My climbing partner was one of the top rock climbers in the UK for a time, he has also run a sub 3 hour marathon and skis a couple weeks a year. He will be 75 soon and still climbs to a high standard.

He only has one kidney.

As far as I can see the main disadvantage of only one kidney is that you cannot sell it or donate it.

Having said that every one is different and I'm not suggesting having only one kidney will automatically turn you into a top rock climber
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

the other has increased in size

which is apparently how the body compensates.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My husband found out he only had one kidney after a scan last year. He is 60 next year. Was told it was fine and it certainly hasn’t stopped him doing anything - ski ing included.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I cycle with someone 60ish who had a kidney transplant about 5yrs ago. He's still very fit and it doesn't seem to affect him or his donor wife!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you all for comments… a little bit of positivity helps as freaking out slightly (about the perspective of kidney removal, not about skiing but the fact that skiing may still be possible makes it all a bit better). If it was me, l would of continue to ski with one kidney, no doubt… but l am an adult and can assess the risks and decide for myself… my child cannot make his own informed decision yet . Hence it is more difficult to make a decision on his behalf
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bella2015, it's not a nice prospect and obviously one that you'd prefer to avoid. However, losing a kidney really doesn't have to have a noticeable impact on life in general (aside from the surgery). A healthy person has plenty of renal function reserve (you don't even need 1 whole kidney). So whilst it's natural as a parent to be worried, you can also be assured that it won't be anywhere near as bad as you might imagine. Keep focused on the benefits instead.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mgrolf, thank you… this is really helpful! Will focus on that all will be well at the end and hopefully will get a chance to ski this season still ( haven’t booked anything as waiting to hear about the surgery etc)
snow conditions
@Bella2015, My youngest son has one kidney from birth. His mum and I are super paranoid having already lost a daughter (nothing to do with kidneys), but there is also the balance of him growing up and experiencing things. Don't forget, we have all have accidents skiing, and when learning many times. It's easy to lose perspective. If you have an accident skiing, your not lucky if your not injured, your unlucky if you are. Even with one kidney, as long as it's healthy, he will be grand.
Good luck to you and him.
snow report
@johnE, he is Ron Fawcett and I claim £5. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I opened this thread expecting the op to start with “coz I found one in the spring thaw”
snow report
@thecramps, thank you - like you say, balance is key and obviously l still want my kid to experience things so not planning on wrapping him in cotton wool or restricting him
ski holidays
Hi @Bella2015, my youngest daughter was born with only one kidney - the lack showed up in the ante natal scans - and is as happy a 15 year old skier as you could want to see.

We've kept her away from playing rugby in case she gets a heavy knock to the remaining kidney but she gets stuck in at hockey.

I completely understand your fears, we had a few issues and had the occasional doubt as to whether she was at a heightened risk but now tend to forget all about it.
snow report
@tomj, thank you , it is so great to know that so many people with one kidney continue to ski and live active lives!
latest report
I have 3 kidneys, although 2 of them barely work and the working one is transplanted and I still ski. Also my wife donated the kidney to me, so hence only has one kidney, mind you she doesn’t ski after giving it up well before donating but she continues to do everything she did before donating Very Happy
ski holidays
limited to only soft drinks in apres ski. no beer or schnaps.
ski holidays
One-kidneyed skier checking in. It's still there but non-functioning so was tied off and shriveled - been that way since I was about 5. The other one will grow to compensate. Wasn't allowed to play contact sports (i.e. rugby) at school nor partake in any boxing/martial arts after school, so I ended up saving a few brain cells and doing some alternative activities (chess, cross country, cadets, mountain biking). But apart from those restrictions at school, it has not impacted me in the slightest. I have done plenty of adventuring, ski racing at uni and ski touring / mountaineering etc. I've been up to 7000m (and down to -52m) if you are worried about altitude. I was also very into downhill MTB racing in the mountains in my youth, but now do more road/ultra distance racing because I'm a bit older and stiffer. I have done my share of drinking and the usual (including as an underage youth) and nothing to report out of the ordinary.

Hope that offers some reassurance
ski holidays
@picnic64, @recz, amazing and reassuring! Sounds like life can be fun and full of adventures with any number of kidneys (one, two or three).@recz, interesting that you were allowed to do mountain biking and ski racing but not martial arts… my son does cross country, taekwondo and Capoera et the moment and cycles quite often so hopefully he can still do all that
latest report
Hopefully so - I'm sure there'll be a bit of adjustment time if he has it out and he's double the age I was so that'll probably be slightly longer than it was for me but in time I'm sure he'll be able to go back to what he likes doing - although not sure about the taekwondo I'm afraid.

The reason for no rugby was the chance of being hit in the midriff in a tackle and damaging the one remaining kidney, and similarly the reason for no martial arts was that kidneys are specifically targeted. Except for falling on your handlebar/poles, chances of taking a hit to the midriff while cycling / skiing is much lower and even then I feel you're more likely get hit in the front rather than the back/side where the one remaining kidney is.
latest report
We really only need one Kidney, my friend donated one of his to his brother, and hasn't changed his lifestyle one iota since, super fit, and a ski bum. Mountain biker in summer.
snow conditions
Dear skiers with kidney condition- what kidney guards /belts if any do you use?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bella2015, mrs_mgrolf doesn't use anything (and has never had the need).
latest report
I normally ski with a backpack, which I guess might offer some protection from its “kidney” belt, but I don’t wear it for that reason. I also returned to fencing recently after a very long absence. My good kidney is on my sword arm side, so in theory more vulnerable, but I have not considered any additional protection.
snow conditions
@Bella2015, my brother hasn't taken to wearing one since finding out he only has one ... I've never heard of anyone wearing one ... do they exist?
latest report
Yes my nephew did - Well that's what he told his mum Smile

No idea of make etc
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy