Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Henry's Avalanche Talk - tonight (1 Nov) in Covent Garden, anyone going or want to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following some excellent advice from @Ryunis, I'm going to try to attend one of the Henry's Avalanche Talks tonight 8PM at Ellis Brigham in Covent Garden. I've read mixed reviews here on Snowheads and elsewhere (maybe a bit dry, bit too long) but everyone seems to conclude that it's better to have gone than not to have gone. So I'm going to give it a shot, and would love to say hello to any Snowheads who may be there.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
diaphon wrote:
Following some excellent advice from @Ryunis, I'm going to try to attend one of the Henry's Avalanche Talks tonight 8PM at Ellis Brigham in Covent Garden. I've read mixed reviews here on Snowheads and elsewhere (maybe a bit dry, bit too long) but everyone seems to conclude that it's better to have gone than not to have gone. So I'm going to give it a shot, and would love to say hello to any Snowheads who may be there.

It's rewarding to hear someone take up my suggestion, thanks. I am sure you will find it very interesting and would encourage you to undertake some practical training too. i.e. How to use your transceiver to quickly find someone buried, use the pole and then dig them out. It's all about speed and attending a course vastly improves everyone's.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just closing the loop on this thread, I did go to this session in Covent Garden and I'm glad that I did. It wasn't what I had expected.

First of all, as it was in the Ellis Brigham store, I thought they would promote avalanche equipment. Henry did pretty much the opposite, his main message was that avoiding an avalanche is far better than hoping to survive one. So he talked a lot about the importance of reading the mountain for terrain traps and what made slabs more likely to break loose. He mentioned probes, transceivers and shovels only briefly at the end of the talk.

Overall, this was very much an introductory discussion. He told us to be very cautious on slopes over 30 degrees and very quickly told us how to assess slope angles using our poles. He kept emphasising that we should be vigilant about terrain traps, but he didn't really say what those were. He talked a lot about human factors research, but this is an area I already know a fair amount about (I have a GA pilot's license and this also comes up in medical decision-making a lot).

I hadn't fully taken on board that this was just the "essentials" talk, and the following evening there was an "in depth" talk. I think I'd have gotten more out of it if I'd been able to attend both. But for £20 per talk with free beer, it got me thinking about avalanche safety in a different way and I'm glad I went.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy