Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nov 1st Winter Tyres on or chains in vehicle in French Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm so grateful I've got a simple little Skoda. Some cars are just too clever. Will sort out some basic chains that fit before driving out at the end of March. My existing chains might fit, lashed up a bit. I'm unlikely to need them.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pam w, it's worth checking the car manual to see what it says about chains, and whether normal chains can actually be fitted to the wheels/tyres on your car. My son & d.i.l. have a Fabia estate, when they bought it, they had a bit of trouble finding one which didn't have fancy wheels with (more expensive) low-profile tyres. I was surprised to find that my own bog-standard Golf estate won't take normal chains, so I've had to get more expensive 'front mounted' chains. Which I'll probably never use...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I will check, thanks, but nothing on the car looks very fancy to me. Certainly doesn't have low-profile tyres.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
LaForet wrote:
@JohnS4 Yes but the potential problem with spacers is that on some cars, they may force the tyres to foul the external wheel arch (more so the steered wheels) and in the case of an accident claim, could invalidate your motor insurance on the basis of it being an undeclared modification. Yes, I know it's common practice for many car enthusiasts, but if a car isn't certified to have chains on the fitted wheels, it further threatens invalidation of driving policy if it means uncertified wheels are forced to take chains.

If you think that insurance companies don't check for this sort of thing, then here's a quote form a BMW Owner's Forum, from someone who works with claims management companies: "When I do accident investigations for insurance companies, tyres size/ profile, speed rating are all on the list of things I check. It can also be a con and use offence to use an incorrect tyre, in some cases. An example of this would be a tyre which protrudes past the wheel arch. Another would be where the tyre fouls bodywork at the max range of steering."

Technically you are absolutely correct, any undeclared modification could potentially invalidate your insurance. In practice my understanding is that most claims assessors that work for reasonable insurance companies are not trying to screw over the customer and mainly looking for modifications that were a contributing factor in any accident.

Now if your car looks like something out of mad max with half the wheel stuck out of the rim, or your a 17yr old that is trying to outdo all your mates in the 'stance' or 'slammed' car scene that's going to catch the attention of the assessors. Similarly with performance mods, if your VW golf now has a Chevvy V8 in it you are going to have problems.

Personally I doubt a claims assessor is going to have an issue with properly fitted spacers as long as the wheels still clear the wheel arches which they will in most cases unless the car is significantly lowered and/or has much wider tyres than standard fitment. Usually there is a lot of space on the outside which is why many people fit spacers for appearance reasons to fill out the wheel arches a bit more.

And of course there is nothing to stop you declaring the mod to your insurance company - if they want more money for a simple change like that you might be wise to find a better insurance company.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, I think that's fair enough: if you decide to go the spacer route then just declare it to your insurance company and - if they're comfortable with it and you with any additional premium they apply - then that's sorted. Obviously, as long as this doesn't cause the tyre to rub. I'd also make sure to tell them (and get it recorded) that it was in order to fit chains to a wheel that would otherwise not be able to, to avoid any claims hassle later.

All that strikes me is that given the cost/effort of installing spacers, and the possible extra insurance premium for a retro-fit mod', you might as well just get some front-fitting chains in the first place.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy