Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski based gift

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

My best friend is turning 50 and as an avid skier I wanted to get him a gift which is ski related.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

K
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gloves are always well received,
they dont take up much room, all sorts of budgets, can be used on other occasions.
Reseve a table in an Austrain restaurant.
When you buy one, you get one free.

Ski poles are also a good idea, but its hard to hide what they are when you wrap them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We may need more to go on. Some disposeable hand warmers for a couple of quid, or I believe the owners of Toggenburg Mountain resort may take offers around US$2.25m
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can get the odd ski bubble/gondola now and again.

Too much?

Ski maps on underwear?
https://www.hopndown.com/en/les-gammes-hop-n-down/montagne/

Too risky?

There ski poles that double as hip flasks. Perfect.
https://www.whiskipoles.com
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, just to narrow things down, was thinking of something up to £100…..as much as he’d like his own ski resort the budget won’t stretch that far!

He doesn’t have his own skis and even if I could afford that I am not sure he would want them.

I’m always quite nervous about getting things which are very personal taste, so clothing can be a bit tricky for instance
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski pole hip flask. Leki and WhiSki do them - always wanted a pair myself.........
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
An action camera?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unfortunately the likes of a GoPro are a little outside my budget
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is he an off-piste skier? This opens up new areas for gifts (back-pack? skins? probe? shovel? harness? ice axe?)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like the More is More approach. Socks and neck buff from sportpursuit? Useful to all skiers, and you won't have the gloves vv mitts pondering.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No, not off piste, definitely more on piste skier.

I was wondering whether booster straps might be a good idea? Don’t have any myself but they look interesting
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Really good quality thermals or socks, can never have too many socks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quality Glove-Liners - heated if suffer cold hands

Neoprene Balaclava for cold weather

Extra Lens for Goggles / Goggle case

Ski Lock

Apres Ski Boots

Protectors for bottom of ski boots (prevent wear)

Leatherman Multi Tool

Ski Boot Dryer

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 31-10-22 9:09; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A ticket to the night race in Schladming. I mean, it might be an ‘incomplete’ present, but you could always offer to accompany him Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What about one of those retro ski resort posters of his favourite resort, framed?
snow report
If they are avid, they already have what they need, and are probably particular about core equipment like socks and gloves and maybe everything. So I'll propose something I was late to acquire but now use often: category 4 sunglasses. There aren't very many, so choosing a look or fit won't be impossible like it would be for regular sunglasses. Mine are made by Julbo.
snow conditions
Heated boot bag. Hard to find, his mates won't have one, branded ones are usually very expensive (c.£250) and sold out, incredibly useful.

Bootdoc make one for which Anything Technical are the UK importer: https://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/products/brands/bootdoc/bootdoc-heated-ski-products/ Price has gone up to £150 (was £100 when I bought mine only a year ago but Brexit/Putin/Truss etc... rolling eyes )

Looks like they've changed the shape of it slightly to the one I've got but there are several EU sites with the previous version at much lower prices so if you can find someone to ship to the UK it could be in your budget. Excellent present IMO! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@kosciosco, hip flask?
snow conditions
I would avoid trying to pick suitable gloves, buff, socks, etc. I am sure we have all received similar gifts & thought what an unimaginative gift!
Most things are personal preference & would be difficult to buy something for £100 & getting it right. eg helmet or goggles. Need to be sized correctly.

Only other thing I can think of is a decent rucksack. A Dakine Heli for example.
https://www.snowandrock.com/p/dakine-heli-pack-12l-backpack-I4124340.html?colour=124

can be used for cycling as well as skiing if your friend does other activities. Also big enough to use as a laptop bag for commuting!
latest report
Lozza1uk wrote:
What about one of those retro ski resort posters of his favourite resort, framed?

Out of the suggestion so far , I would appreciate this one the most.
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
Lozza1uk wrote:

We’ve got a few of this guys prints which are quite stylish
https://www.bungalowgraphics.com/charlie-adam/catalogue/art-prints-laminates.cc1001.en.html
snow report
Get him a snowboarding lesson
ski holidays
The Full Tilt or Intuition (originals were the same apart from the branding, but I think Intuition have new versions coming out this season) 'apres boots', made with the same foam as Intuition ski boot liners.

Trust me, they may look slightly ridiculous, but they are the most amazing thing to slip your feet into after a long day skiing or touring and the only skiers who don't know they need them are skiers who haven't tried them yet.

Couple of links but you're probably better of googling for sale prices in your location: https://www.tradeinn.com/snowinn?products_search%5Bquery%5D=full%20tilt%20apres&products_search%5BrefinementList%5D%5Bmarca%5D%5B0%5D=Full%20tilt & https://www.blue-tomato.com/de-AT/product/Full+Tilt-Apres+Bootie+1+0+Skischuhe-655094/
ski holidays
@kosciosco, unless he already has one, a high quality lightweight (easily packable) gilet. I know its clothing, but you can't go far wrong with the sizes and it can be changed by return.
Any cash left over, a snowHeads buff in each pocket, in co-ordinating colours.

snow report
How about a novelty item? If you know where your friend likes to ski and possibly even his favourite run-a piste marker?
https://www.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Categories/Gifts/Piste_Markers
snow report
I got a Piste marker sign made up for a friend on their special birthday - I had his age as the number, and his favourite resort and run as the text. Lots available if you google it!
ski holidays
-The last two trips I went on, I took some binoculars. These were great for looking around the resort and my buddies all had a play with them at some point. You can also get monoculars.
-A nice ski hat/beanie.
-Perhaps a rucksack with the above inside?
-Also +1 for the resort poster.
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
Lozza1uk wrote:

Or a Tube style poster?

https://www.frozenunderground.com/store/c8/Network_Maps.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Those full tilt apres boots are great. Don’t take mine off all winter. Last really well too.
ski holidays
There are some nice posters that were done for the Swiss Railways in the 1950s, like 'Winter in Switzerland'. Something that refers to the country or a region might suit better than a specific resort if your friend doesn't have a favourite place they like to go. I'm sure there are ones for the likes of France, Austria and Italy. Swiss Railways also did one of 'VALAIS le pays du soleil' which would cover Verbier, Crans, Nendaz etc

I ordered both of these in print form and then got a local framer to make them up. We now have them in our Valais apartment. You could just order a quality print version on good paper and leave your friend to get them framed themselves. Frame choice can be a fairly personal thing and what you choose might not be what they'd prefer.
snow report
I bought my husband a large (130 x 100 cm) geographical map of the Alps and all the ski resorts by Marmota Maps. He was was very pleased with it.
snow report
We bought one of these tinplate double-black-diamond trail signs. It's personalised to include our surname. Very pleased with it - looks great on the wall with some other ski signs.

These lift system prints are very nice too. About 150 ski areas available, in various sizes of print.

latest report
Does he have a "favourite" resort?

if you do a bit of searching you can often get a small replica gondola cabin in the style of one from a specific report, proper logo etc.

Its a awesome little desk ornament or I use ours as a christmas tree ornament.

https://www.seilbahnshop.com/en/jc-88553-omega-v-10-kohlmaisbahn.html
snow conditions
Not a gift but got this cake topper for my husband last year. The cake is just a basic Asda plain iced sponge.

latest report
Raceplate wrote:
Heated boot bag. Hard to find, his mates won't have one, branded ones are usually very expensive (c.£250) and sold out, incredibly useful.

Bootdoc make one for which Anything Technical are the UK importer: https://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/products/brands/bootdoc/bootdoc-heated-ski-products/ Price has gone up to £150 (was £100 when I bought mine only a year ago but Brexit/Putin/Truss etc... rolling eyes )

Looks like they've changed the shape of it slightly to the one I've got but there are several EU sites with the previous version at much lower prices so if you can find someone to ship to the UK it could be in your budget. Excellent present IMO! Madeye-Smiley
I fail to see the use in a heated bootbag? or am I missing something?
snow conditions
I have rossignol b2 bandit 174 skis, poles and bindings for sale £100 the lot, bargain!
latest report
biddpyat wrote:

They are useful if you are driving to skiing and will have a full car.

If I'm driving then I just put my boots in the passenger footwell, but couldn't do that if there was anyone else with me.
ski holidays
biddpyat wrote:

Yes, you are. Four page thread on the benefits here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91097 snowHead

If you've got tight boots, they're a lifesaver if you drive to resort but they're not just useful if you're driving, you can use them in your apartment, hotel room etc to have dry, easy to put on boots in the morning and dry them out thoroughly after skiing. Will also take gloves, helmet, buff etc to dry out. Boot heaters tend to warm the liner but not the shell, a boot bag does both but not to such a temperature that you risk any damage to custom insoles/liners which can happen with commercial heaters.

I used to put my shells on the radiator (not recommended) and my zipfits between the bars of my heated towel rail in the mornings, now I just turn the bag on when I get out of bed and the boots are super easy to put on a bit later.
latest report
biddpyat wrote:

You are missing something Smile

I use mine every night to dry off the boots after skiing. My previous pair of boots were incredibly difficult to get on when cold, but much easier when warmed/dryed over night. I was advised not to use the hotel hot air dryers as they could potentially damage my Zipfit liner.

Also very handy if driving and putting on boots in a cold car park!
snow conditions
Lego Technic Piste Basher. What 50 year old bloke doesn't want to be a big kid again? Madeye-Smiley Laughing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115379540218?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=d0OW7WTpSUW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VPXMyW5TSaO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy