Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Destinations End Dec/Early Jan Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Happy to have found this site as not used before. I've been skiing about 3 times now (might be choosing the dark side next trip), just wanted to ask what are some good resorts for end of December to Early January in Europe.

Dec 2021 managed to get to Chamonix with friends from University. Highly recommend Auberge De Jeunesse for a hostel (Offer a very Discounted Lift Pass) and also without the need of hiring a car due to bus from Geneva Airport direct to Chamonix only £8 each way (Swiss Tours). This was, from the posts I've read so far, considered a DIY Trip. I managed to get everything sorted for under £750 (Everything! Flights, Hostel, Transfers, Lift Pass, Ski Hire, Food (only ate out twice at cheap places admittedly and went a bit hungry after pot noodle dinners some nights) etc.).

However, I realised I was very lucky in this, as since, I have read that Chamonix is not snow sure in December really so got quite lucky.

I would like to go skiing again this year from 27th to 3rd Roughly. I've heard Andorra is possibly good for then (albeit a bit expensive for accommodation and lift pass) and might be reachable via public transport from Barcelona. Bansko is a no-go due to flight prices (at least currently).

(Taking girlfriend for the first time, so couldn't really opt for uni ski trip!)

Is there anywhere that could fit the bill? Or is risking it with Chamonix again this year my best option?

Ideally looking for a bit budget so if reachable by public transport would be ideal but I am now old enough to rent a car so could work a few extra uni job shifts to stretch!

Thanks,
H
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you can completely forget the 750 budget on those dates. It's the most expensive week of the year along with Feb half term.
Most places will have had a snowfall by that time, Snow sure generally means high. High=White and wind outs
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What sort of skiing do you like to do?
What is your apres ski vibe?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@hbridges, given your dates avoid Bansko. We did thst equivalent week one year and the queues were insane. We since tried a Feb half term week. Similarly insane queues. We are stuck with school holidays and have access to free accommodation there, and even with that due to how busy it is we rather pay a lot more and go elsewhere.

As @Mother hucker, you are picking a peam week, so a lotnof stuff will be booked.

For bargains I would suggest looking at Sunweb. Not sure if any flight routes will be good at this late stage?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, will be quieter the following week, if you have flexibility
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
on another note I doubt you'll get anything now unless you're prepared to spend big
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For Andorra try esquiades.com, for your dates there are some deals which include a week's hotel, half board and 6 day Granvalira ski pass for €650-€700pp, there are regular bus transfers from Barcelona airport for around €70rtn as well so you won't be too much over your budget.
It will be cheaper and quieter if you can go the week after new year tho.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you can only go at this time, book leave and wait on a last minute Tour Operator deal
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hbridges,
Quote:

I would like to go skiing again this year from 27th to 3rd Roughly.

Quote:

I managed to get everything sorted for under £750

As others have pointed out, wrong week for a budget trip. If you could delay departure until Sun 1 Jan, you might get lucky with a last minute booking bargain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In addition to the problems finding offers for New-year, your dates are Tue-Tue. Accommodation is often only available (especially in busy weeks) Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun.

Ps. Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hbridges wrote:
However, I realised I was very lucky in this, as since, I have read that Chamonix is not snow sure in December really so got quite lucky.

You should be fine in Chamonix late December/early Jan.

hbridges wrote:
I would like to go skiing again this year from 27th to 3rd

Most accommodation is Sat-Sat, not Tue-Tue. Also over NY will be £££. But Chamonix is a big town and probably one of the few places where you could get something at a reasonable price. Indeed a quick search on Expedia shows a Vrbo in the centre of Cham for £555 on those dates.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Everyone, unfortunately quite stuck in those dates due to university (if it wasn't my final year i would definitely go a cheaper time). I''ll Look into
Quote:
For Andorra try esquiades.com
so thanks Alistair Graham! Also will look into chamonix again if its generally okay in late dec/ early jan and try price up the same place as last time.

Thanks,
H
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hbridges,
Early season resorts - 3 Valleys, Paradiski, La Rosiere, St Foy, Espace Killy.
Any dates anywhere over 25 Dec or 1 Jan ruinously expensive.
Try UCPA.co.uk
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, @kenzie will check that out
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
UCPA is a good shout for value. Everything is included really apart from your flights and transfers (ski equipment/lift pass/lessons/3 meals a day). The food would definitely beat your pot noodles and skipping meals diet! Think French school dinners but plenty of food, you won't go hungry. Usually a good social atmosphere and good for groups with different ability levels as they offer instruction from complete beginner to hardcore off piste levels.

Though you say you are planning to go with your girlfriend. The usual setup is 4 person dorms (though you only really spend time in them to sleep). Some centres do offer twin rooms though you have to pay a supplement and they are likely to book out fairly quickly but still worth a look.

If you are able to I would see if you have any way of moving your dates to the 2nd week of January. It will be much cheaper and less busy out of the school holidays/new year.

As for resorts aim high. Val Thorens, Tignes/Val d'Isere/Les 2 Alpes should probably be alright.

I think you will probably need to budget a bit more than £750 unless you are willing to wait for a last minute package deal. Flights are unlikely to get cheaper towards the date (though worth checking out if you have any promo codes for airlines you have flown with previously, I just got 20% off a Jet2 flight in March from a code that they emailed to me).
snow report
We went to Belle Plagne over New Year three years ago and really enjoyed it. It's a high altitude, snow sure resort. I would say it's generally more affordable than the 3V and we managed to do the trip on a budget by driving there and booking self catering accommodation through a travel company (you can also find accommodation on airbnb and VRBO). But, as has been mentioned above, most holiday lets in the ski resorts are Sat - Sat or Sun - Sun.
snow report
I wouldn't worry too much about the whole "snow sure" thing. Christmas/New Year are basically core season and if somewhere doesn't expect to have snow cover then it probably isn't going to call itself a ski resort. Unless you're looking at one of the really small, local ski areas that just open when they can (and you probably won't know exist unless you live there) you can expect any resort to have enough of the white stuff to ski on.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy