Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How wide is too wide for you?

Poster: A snowHead
@skimottaret, in fairness, you could quite easily ski that on 66mm 207cms GS skis ...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Although I'd say you're riding the base there

pretty much like 99.99% of the time for "powder" skiing in Europe.. worst case you sink to a stop with skinny skis if your going too slow but how ofter does that ever happen? And is it really worth buying or bring a set of super fatties on holiday..

Im sure MikePow will stick up some video of Japan skiing IN the snow on 70mm skis. This is the deepest snow I could find video of on SL skis, don't remember riding the base in there... The guy hooning by me on fat skis was probably having more fun but the ol skinny skis still worked Wink

ScottClearSkies.mp4 from InsideOutSkiing
https://vimeo.com/764948167
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
@skimottaret, in fairness, you could quite easily ski that on 66mm 207cms GS skis ...

what from like 40 years ago, Blizzard of Ahhs style Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skimottaret, only uhhh 33? years ago wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is a pointless debate as there is no single right answer - everything is highly personal re skill, style, technique, intent and weight/leverage and the specific snow conditions in front of you. For resort pow I'd say it's unlikely that you "need" much over 120mmm ever (& I speak as a heavyweight) but even at such sizes you may encounter conditions that the set up doesn't work for (had a miserable run through a couple of patches of isothermic rot on some Ragnoraks once). for a mid - large adult male I'd say the sweetspot for an everday wide ski is somewhere in the 100-112 range, scale down for mass and likelihood of firmer conditions, up for luxury.

I will say spraying like a madman on a spring slushy piste on some inappropriately wide skis is definitely as much fun as "tight" reboundy piste carves on a performance ski in firmer conditions but it's definitely different.

Equally anything under say 88mm should be considered a predominantly piste ski.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Equally, anything above should be considered a skill compensator
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Whitegoldsbrother, well, certainly compensation for something Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

I dont think so. Its the correct tool for the job. I can take a screw out with a knife but prefer a cordless drill.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

Spoken like Whitegolds brother Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
This is a pointless debate as there is no single right answer

I agree, but it doesn't mean the debate isn't interesting in and of itself.

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
For resort pow I'd say it's unlikely that you "need" much over 120mmm ever

Define "need".

The point about these very specific types of ski isn't that they allow mediocre skiers to look like gods, nor that they make any terrain accessible that otherwise couldn't be skied, nor indeed that they make it easier or less effort to ski.

No, there's only one good reason for them, and that's that they can make it more FUN.

Sure, I can ski in powder on my race slalom skis, indeed I did so several times last year, after having been using them for lessons, and there's a certain satisfaction to be gained from doing so, given the technical skills needed, but for sheer fun put me on my big fat long double-rockers and I'll fly down with a grin wider than both skis together. That's what it's all about. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chaletbeauroc, Look I'm on your hymn sheet - It's far more about smiles on faces and giggles rather than whether you're squeaking your bumcheeks together correctly and retreating to the bar to review your video footage for technique flaws. I'm just offering a practical limit as to something which won't be completely awful if your get more regular conditions (of course if you get yourself on real ice like a race prepped course on a 120mm ski you might have a bad day).

My Redeemers and Shiros already get less use than I would prefer. I can't see that until and unless I live fulltime in a resort Spoons would be a worthwhile upgrade.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
And here is my party trick for all the clients who said "I didn't bring fat skis, how will I be able to ski powder". Lets just have a go and to make sure you will be okay I will do it on one 70mm wide ski to make it feel like two super skinny skis Wink

To be fair there are places that would be called dust on crust.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes, curious as to why you think 120mm is a "practical" limit... why not 110, 115 or 130 ?Sounds to me you a personal preference to slide around on wider skis which is cool but getting back to the OP my "How Wide is Too wide for you" may be different to yours for lots of reasons, skier weight/ height, bum knees, can only afford one or two pairs, location, level of skill, etc...

The dust on crust film I just happened to have a mate filming. We have all skied deep snow on various skis and of course is more of a hoot on more appropriate gear. One season when my knees were killing me I brought 85mm skis to my trip of a lifetime in Hokkaido as wider would have put a grimace on my face on anything other than light pow.

Curious as well why do your Redeemers and Shiros get too little use Wink

Point I was trying to make with the video is that a lot of skiers I talk to feel that they must quiver for all eventuality on our courses and get psyched out if they are on normal piste focussed skis should we happen to get some fresh. I tend to advise in the case that there may be some fresh snow to think about investing in slightly longer skis that will give the same float than a wider off piste focussed ski in a similar length if you can't caddy/fly in two or more pairs.

I have never skied over 96 wide and to join in the fat ski fun brigade bought a pair of 107's to try out last season. Never actually used em as the snow sucked whenever I had a chance. Hopefully will report back in Dec with a massive grin snowHead snowHead Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

85mm skis to my trip of a lifetime

A very very salient point.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skimottaret, Well it's pretty obvious why my preferred skis get too little use as mother nature isn't perfectly adept at delivering endless pow cycles or perfect corn. I actually got kinda tired of travelling with a couple of pairs of skis and tried last winter with just 107mm skis for 2 trips to US and Canada. Was ok but there were a few days when I'd have had more fun with the Shiros in the bag as well so I've revaluated to a more Fat/narrow 2 ski quiver for this winter.

Like you say though it's not that going skinnier doesn't work and its really ski nerdery/refinement to identify what is better. One can never totally optimise not least because conditions change by the hour but you can learn to cover the bases with what you decide on. And to recognise when you're beaten and go rent a pistencarver for the day or sack off the "powder" day early because it really is too heavy for what you brung.

Oh and as to the width question - just experience really. The Shiro can be skied on a normal piste like a very wide piste ski (adjusting for realistic expectations around transition etc). Redeemer because its edging over the width is a bit uncomfortable unless the snow is soft enough to get some decent penetration and definitely more snowboard slidey on real hardpack. Now that's for me. A precision technician would probably hate both, a freeride god would shrug and say what's the problem groomers are just for straightlining to the lifts anyway.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, That was my point as well, Mother Nature didn't play ball last year and quivering gets to be a pain and if one errs too wide it can be just as uncomfortable. I noticed the OP is based in the mountains according to their sig so I am totally wrong to question the need for wider skis. Might as well have 10 pairs in the cave just in case as you never know Toofy Grin Toofy Grin I for one am trying to slender the quiver to single digits !
ski holidays
To answer the question posed - For my weight and the snow I mostly ski during the 1 week per year, anything over 92. If I was lucky enough to live in the alps, I would have something wider for powder days......maybe 110 underfoot.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, tbh, I am thinking of acquiring something >110mm for those definite all day* powder days

* all day might include a nice late lunch
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, tbh, I am thinking of acquiring something >110mm for those definite all day* powder days

* all day might include a nice late lunch

You're a lucky Bstard. Toofy Grin

You are very light, so a 110 will be more like a 130. Greater than 110 will be a revelation.

What are you considering?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 28-10-22 20:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, curious as to why you think 120mm is a "practical" limit... why not 110, 115 or 130

For me because (as I said earlier, or was that a different thread?) beyond 120mm starts become hard work if you're crossing *deep* tracks a lot (lots of surface area to smack against the 'track walls' rather than slice through) on powder days, whereas 110mm is still leaving a lot of powder performance on the table (though as above less so if your powder day is a bluebird one in bigger alpine terrain where you can keep speeds higher).

Practical limit for an every day off-piste ski is definitely lower - ~105-110mm is about optimal - but that's not what the thread or question was about.

skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

pretty much like 99.99% of the time for "powder" skiing in Europe..

No way, that first video we'd call dust on crust here in Austria, not just in Japan! Maybe things are different in France NehNeh
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, I am indeed very lucky. And quite light.

I am thinking maybe Blizzard Rustler 11s or Volkl Katanas (though I confess I do not understand Blizzard's positioning)
snow report
under a new name wrote:

I am thinking maybe Blizzard Rustler 11s or Volkl Katanas (though I confess I do not understand Blizzard's positioning)

This is not a type of ski I have any experience of - but have heard good things about the K2 Mindbender (comes in an 108 Ti and 116C, which is light and playful)
snow conditions
Shocked
latest report
under a new name wrote:

This covers a lot of skis:

http://youtube.com/v/V5en_4zf18c
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

pretty much like 99.99% of the time for "powder" skiing in Europe.. worst case you sink to a stop with skinny skis if your going too slow but how ofter does that ever happen? And is it really worth buying or bring a set of super fatties on holiday..

Im sure MikePow will stick up some video of Japan skiing IN the snow on 70mm skis. This is the deepest snow I could find video of on SL skis, don't remember riding the base in there... The guy hooning by me on fat skis was probably having more fun but the ol skinny skis still worked Wink

ScottClearSkies.mp4 from InsideOutSkiing
https://vimeo.com/764948167

Not 70mm (79mm) but a compare & contrast day.

Enjoyed both sets of skis. Preferred the powder experience on the narrower skis.

http://youtube.com/v/-IGa5Yo3Ydk
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy