Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites recomendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Friend of mine asking my recommendation for a ski trip for him and his 2 sons (19 and 21yr olds) anywhere in the Dolomites accessible from Venice Marco Polo. all 3 are ok on Blues or reds.
cost not a major factor within reason. nightlife not important. most important for them is for ski in ski out accommodation. they usually go hotels but open to suggestions if really good.
Long time since I was in the Dolomites but from what I remember the most central areas would be Corvara or Colfosco. any snowheads have personal experience of very good accommodation please post here. I feel under pressure a bit as the guy is separated and he wants it to be a special trip for him and his sons.
Bergamo Airport could also be an option but flight times are not good.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@garc, Venice is the most convenient airport. Venice Marco Polo is the bigger and better airport, although Ryanair do fly to Venice Treviso which is actually a bit closer to the Dolomites than Venice Marco Polo. There are coach transfers available from both airports which are subsidised if you have booked accommodation in one of the relevant resorts.

Corvara or Colfosco would be good options, Colfosco in particular has a nice wide easy blue under the Sodlisia chairlift which would be ideal for them finding their ski legs on the first day. I think Colfosco has some ski in ski out accommodation, but both resorts have accommodation that is literally just a matter of yards from the pistes. Other options would be Arabba (where the snowHeads Birthday Bash is held) or a bit of a left field suggestion Alleghe where the snowHeads preBBWUW is held. Alleghe isn't on the Sella Ronda, it has its own smaller ski area called Civetta. It's also the shortest transfer time of any resort from Venice.

They would probably like to have a day or two away from Alleghe if they're going for a week, it's possible to take a bus from Alleghe about a 20 minute ride to Malga Ciapella where there's a 3 stage cable car goes up to the top of the Marmolada mountain (pick a good sunny day for this). There's a very long red run down from the top. (and also an interesting free museum at the top of the 2nd cable car about the mountain fighting there during WW1). From Alleghe you can also ski over to Pescul from where there's a bus to the rear side of Cinque Torri at Fedare. You then take the chair up to the top of Cinque Torri then ski down the front side (lovely ski area btw) from where there's a new gondola link to Cortina. Incidentally the sHs preBBWUW bash is held at the excellent Sport Hotel Europa in Alleghe, it's not ski in/ski out, but the hotel runs a continuous shuttle in the morning to the gondola lift and return back to the hotel in the afternoon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, great info thank you. Our own group are actually doing Alleghe next Feb so I know a bit about that area after some research. Ski in ski out was the highest on list of requests and looking at the map Colfosco well placed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having spoken to him again an apartment would be ok , so anyone stayed in really nice lodgings in Corvara or Colfosco that you could recommend please.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
garc wrote:
Having spoken to him again an apartment would be ok , so anyone stayed in really nice lodgings in Corvara or Colfosco that you could recommend please.

Some years ago I stayed with friends in an apartment in this apartment block in Colfosco: https://www.alpin-apartments.it/en/Default.asp
It's about 100 yards walk from the apartment block on to the piste. There was a nearby pizza restaurant which we sometimes visited in the evening.

Getting to Colfosco from Venice Marco Polo you can get a door to door transfer with Venice Cabs, you'll see from their rates that a one way transfer is €260 (that's the price for the vehicle for up to 3 passengers, so €87 per person in your friend's case). Alternatively if they're going to Corvara they also have the cheaper option of Cortina Express which has one departure per day from Venice Marco Polo at 14:20, changing at Cortina bus station for €31 per person. Personally given the convenience of a taxi transfer I'd go with Venice cabs.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 26-10-22 15:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski in/out isn't nearly as common in the Dolomites as it is in the purpose built mega-resorts.
For example, the place we use in Arabba for the Birthday Bash is considered 'next to the piste' but it's a couple of hundred meters walk to the lift. On the way home, we can ski down the route the piste bashers use to come up from their garage and that takes us to within 50m of the boot room snowHead

Looks pretty ski in/ski out to me
I can think of a ski in/out place in San Cassiano. It's a little guest house called Frohsinn.
Used to be run by a British tour op that no longer exists. I think it's owner-run now.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, Albergo Frohsinn definitely ski in/out. Also very well placed for gondola access (as you can see on pic) and at the bottom of very enjoyable home runs, with blue/red variations.

Collett's Mountain Holidays might be worth a look for Corvara. Not stayed with them personally but friends give glowing reports. They have both hotels and apartments.

https://www.colletts.co.uk/tours/winter-skiing-holidays/

On overall location, if they're all confident on blues and reds, then Arabba may be a good base too I think. More challenging runs in the immediate vicinity but easy and quick enough to ski across to, for example, Alta Badia and Val di Fassa. Arabba has slopeside apartments and hotels above the base camp chairlift. They're about a 10 minute walk from the village centre. The excellent tourist office would help with advice if Arabba looked suitable.

https://www.arabba.it/en/arabba-fodom-turismo/1-0.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy