Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
I don't wear one when cycling either.

I don't either.

I fear that in a few years' time, helmets may be compulsory both for skiing and cycling.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ski annually in Austria and last year was first visit to Ischgl. It did appear that more people were not wearing helmets compared to the last few years where non helmet wearers were a tiny percentage. Maybe it was just Iscghl or maybe more people are ditching them? (or maybe it was just me).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I kind of sit on the fence a bit, I do wear a helmet although I haven't always and occasionally have a day without, but;
1) my family make me wear one when I ski with them
2) it gives me something to stick my camera on
3) I do find goggle wearing more comfortable with a helmet rather than any other headwear.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1080603221000077
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are helmets mandatory anywhere?

They are in Golf Ski World. Chez Golf is a matriachal dictatorship! Very Happy When our daughter asked us, me at 58, her indoors at 54 if we, "... were ever going to come skiing with us..." she said yes, so we booked there and then.

It was around Shumacher-time, so she announced, "We'll all be wearing helmets, of course!", and nobody, including the kids, dared start the argument. Very Happy End of!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting link @Bob, though somewhat alarmist about UV risk from removing goggles in lift queues. There is clearly a risk that the ventilation slots on a pair of goggles fail to work as well depending on their geometry with respect to a helmet - and I have seen recommendations to buy helmet and goggles from the same manufacturer for that reason (not that I have done so myself).

But I am not sure the problem is purely related to helmets - or indeed to goggles, sunglasses can also steam up when you are in a lift queue. There is a natural tendency to sweat due to the exertion of vigorous skiing, and whether or not someone is wearing a helmet the goggle ventilation is going to work better when their movement creates an apparent wind. When you stop to join a lift queue the sweating doesn't stop immediately but the ventilation decreases, and the goggles/sunglasses steam up.

I suppose it is true though that wearing a helmet makes it easier to remove the goggles and "park" them temporarily, thus exposing the uncovered eyes to UV. In fact for me it is a minor benefit of a helmet, I can wear sunglasses but have my goggles parked making it easy to change as needed in just a few seconds.

The other benefit of helmets you don't mention is the way the flaps being part of the strap system means they protect your ears from cold much better than any other sort of hat I have tried.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh dear, I missed the start of this one - sit back!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
The other benefit of helmets you don't mention is the way the flaps being part of the strap system means they protect your ears from cold much better than any other sort of hat I have tried.

Like I said, I wear helmet largely for warmth. Though oddly, I found helmet ventilate so well I can’t detect much difference on warm spring days either. i.e. no overheating with helmet.

I’m not too convince it does much in safety as most ski falls are to the side and the head doesn’t contact the snow surface.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

as most ski falls are to the side and the head doesn’t contact the snow surface

Mine did - and that was with a helmet!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Contrarian wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
I don't wear one when cycling either.

I don't either.

I fear that in a few years' time, helmets may be compulsory both for skiing and cycling.

Potential to happen by stealth in skiing via insurance mandated use. Cant really see resorts making a requirement, but you never know.

Cycle Sportives already require a helmet - although organisers rarely state why nor offer a non-use waiver (idiots).

IMV, it would be impossible to police in everyday cycling (indeed most of the police forces would tell you that driver behaviour toward cyclists is actually more of an issue.......and they cant even police that proactively).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
and just how expensive have they become? I think my current on was about €45? Looking at POC and they go up beyond €299 Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its such a shame ...
A giant box full of wolly head gear that I will never ever get the chance to wear again.

I was only convinced when I got an almighty twack on the back of my head when someone pulled the bar down on that top lift in Orelle.
I thought as I looked at the pretty colours and stars that its a good job I had a helmet on.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
and just how expensive have they become? I think my current on was about €45? Looking at POC and they go up beyond €299 Shocked

I suspect that some of the uptake of helmet use is down to marketing, someone saw an opportunity to sell something.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, trying kitting out a family of four. But just stick with decathlon or bern etc as the helmets all have to meet the same basic safety standards, there are some innovative products but the rest can be marketing.

Equally you could save with a helmet with visor to replace those expensive separate googles. And they are much harder to mislay or forget.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 26-10-22 19:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In reality, the whole helmet debate varies massively from person to person, to judge others by the way you personally feel is simply wrong.

Some people like @abc, like them to keep their heads warm, others like me run hot & my head acts like a heat sink to dump the excess heat and I rarely even wear a hat when skiing, I hate wearing goggles for the same reason & only wear them when it is very cold. The sunnies that I wear are usually screwfix safety specs that are 100% UV block and being designed to keep foreign objects from entering the eye, they also do well at keeping the wind and secondary UV out. (they are also super lightweight and cost £2.99!)

Some people are accident prone and do not recognise hazards, my SIL had a go at me for not wearing a helmet, then sat down in the middle of the piste, just under a rise to put her snowboard on. (she's also sustained numerous injuries from numerous self inflicted cycling accidents)

It is interesting from the article above that helmets are less effective at preventing traumatic brain injuries than other head injuries, frankly, this is the only reason that I would want to wear a helmet, the odd lump on the head after being hit by a chairlift bar or a cut from a wayward ski are far less annoying than wearing a helmet. (one thing that Pi55ed me off so much when I did try wearing a helmet was the amount of times I got whacked on the helmet by the chairlift bar and having to duck much further to avoid it)

Maybe this season, my 37th, will be the season that I get my first ever head injury through skiing but do as you are comfortable with and act according to your experiences just don't judge others on the choices they make.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tangowaggon, Basically the same as me....... except I reckon I am up to my 40th or 41st ski season now.........yikes !
snow conditions
I get up speeds that far exceed what I get to on my push bike. Would you wear a helmet on the road at 20mph?
ski holidays
I had a no fault fall at (for me) speed, and I went down bum-shoulders-head. The head impact was a bang and I saw stars- dread to think how my nut would have felt without a helmet.
snow conditions
The whole banging on head thing on a lift is purely people getting used to wearing something bigger on their head than normal. Once you are used to it it never happens if you pay attention to what is going on. If you are oblivious to what is happening around you (like the risk of some pillock pulling the bar down after 0.5 seconds of sitting down) then you are partly to blame for that as it is (nearly) always possible it can happen.
snow conditions
Charliegolf wrote:
I had a no fault fall at (for me) speed, and I went down bum-shoulders-head. The head impact was a bang and I saw stars- dread to think how my nut would have felt without a helmet.

You saw stars as a result of your brain moving (and bouncing round) as your head hit the snow - its just physics.

That particular symptom of your fall would be no different whether you wore a helmet, wooly hat, or nothing at all.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
hang11 wrote:
Have the turtle crash pads made it to Europe yet?

Yes, I’ve definitely seen these.
Are those the silly skirt things people wear over their bum? I thought that was the funniest thing I ever saw someone wear on the slopes. As for the original question, I got a helmet last year, had been skiing since helmets were a thing, started skiing in the hot tub time machine time frame.
snow conditions
GreenDay wrote:
Abusing people for their own choice on a chair is dick behaviour.

I dont wear one, but its entirely up to adults what they do on the piste, as long as it doesnt impact other people.

(to make a contrary point to mine above, I would outlaw these backpack speakers blasting out French diskopop Very Happy )
I would too, I want to chase down the wearer and beat them with my poles.
ski holidays
GreenDay wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

You saw stars as a result of your brain moving (and bouncing round) as your head hit the snow - its just physics.

That particular symptom of your fall would be no different whether you wore a helmet, wooly hat, or nothing at all.

Look up MIPS.
latest report
Probably way overdue an update, but many helmet threads were, back in the day, thoughtfully included in one single and helpful thread…

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78080&highlight=helmets

…you’re welcome…. Toofy Grin
snow report
@luanb, I know what MIPS is........based on your answer there, I am not sure that you are clear what it is, and what it can do.
ski holidays
GreenDay wrote:
@luanb, I know what MIPS is........based on your answer there, I am not sure that you are clear what it is, and what it can do.

Whatever, I see that you've set in your ways.
ski holidays
Oh, the yearly helmet thread.
I reluctantly wear a helmet now but loathe them and they're useless.

I had just taken my helmet off at Tremplins veranda in Alpe D'Huez on a sunny lunchtime, hung my jacket on the back of the chair, chair goes back, I don't notice, sit on aforesaid plastic chair, chair explodes into pieces, bang head, cut head open - helmet sits laughing at me, alongside my friends, on the table. They're useless I tell you.

Plus, only serious crash I have had in one caused me to break two ribs cos I couldn't fall on my head.

In all seriousness though, I think they cause as many issues as they solve, as people think they are protected so ski faster, more carelessly and with less vision. I have given in through peer pressure and don't really believe the hype and hope someone will speak some sense in this nanny state about their true effectiveness, which I will always think is minimal if you know how to roll with a fall.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 26-10-22 11:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

This is a pretty dumb take and is demonstrably false. The helmet reduces the forces on your brain inside your skull, so yes, while you'll still 'see stars' wearing a helmet if you hit your head hard, it's not true to say that it would be no different if you weren't wearing one.

I'm not bothered about people not wearing helmets when skiing, it's your own choice and it doesn't affect anyone else, but to spread myths in order to convince others not to is pretty egregious

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 26-10-22 11:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I've run out of popcorn
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yellow Snow wrote:
In all seriousness though, I think they cause as many issues as they solve, as people think they are protected so ski faster, more carelessly and with less vision. I have given in through peer pressure and don't really believe the hype and hope someone will speak some sense in this nanny state about their true effectiveness, which I will always think is minimal if you know how to roll with a fall.

I'll put money on you're one of those who said that seat belts encouraged dangerous driving. No need to bike/motorcycle helmets either, they're useless aren't they and only encourge risk takings too? Nothing like being real man and being really good at what you do.
p..s. A real skier wouldn't have given in to peer pressure either, why waste money that could go on new skis?
latest report
[quote="Yellow Snow"]Oh, the yearly helmet thread.
I reluctantly wear a helmet now but loathe them and they're useless.

I had just taken my helmet off at Tremplins veranda in Alpe D'Huez on a sunny lunchtime, hung my jacket on the back of the chair, chair goes back, I don't notice, sit on aforesaid plastic chair, chair explodes into pieces, bang head, cut head open - helmet sits laughing at me, alongside my friends, on the table. They're useless I tell you.

Plus, only serious crash I have had in one caused me to break two ribs cos I couldn't fall on my head.

In all seriousness though, I think they cause as many issues as they solve, as people think they are protected so ski faster, more carelessly and with less vision. I have given in through peer pressure and don't really believe the hype and hope someone will speak some sense in this nanny state about their true effectiveness, which I will always think is minimal. We are, sadly, indoctrinated about their true usefulness.
snow conditions
zaphod424 wrote:
Quote:

This is a pretty dumb take and is demonstrably false. The helmet reduces the forces on your brain inside your skull, so yes, while you'll still 'see stars' wearing a helmet if you hit your head hard, it's not true to say that it would be no different if you weren't wearing one.

I'm not bothered about people not wearing helmets when skiing, it's your own choice and it doesn't affect anyone else, but to spread myths in order to convince others not to is pretty egregious

Which ones?

Because you might have spotted that I said "that particular symptom" if you had managed to get off your high horse for a moment.
ski holidays
I would say in most walks of life I have a large risk appetite. With this in mind I still choose to wear a helmet. They are comfortable these days and they keep your head warm. They also have the added bonus of protecting your head. What's the down side? Twice a helmet has protected me from serious injury. The last time wasn't even my fault and I got a snow board to the side of my head. Bad enough to leave a substantial mark on my helmet.

I am also a skydiver and wear a helmet too. I've lost count of how many times I've had a size 12 hit me in the fizz. Crazy how like skiing people don't want to wear them either
latest report
GreenDay wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

Thanks Doc. I'll just stick with a helmet.
snow report
GreenDay wrote:
zaphod424 wrote:
Quote:

Which ones?

Because you might have spotted that I said "that particular symptom" if you had managed to get off your high horse for a moment.

GreenDay You should be a politician. They have a knack for making a losing argument work for them in that moment. The truth is that a cracked skull or brain haemorrhage is a likely outcome but focusing on the stars being the constant whether wearing a helmet or not is typical tory politics!
ski holidays
A helmet saved me from having a sharp piece of ice drop directly on my head, I'd rather a dent in the helmet than a likely nasty head injury with blood.
snow report
A lot of people die from icicles, so count yourself lucky.
ski holidays
@Gainz, You may disagree with my points re helmet efficacy, but for gods sake man, stop with those disgusting insults suggesting my politics are tory ! Very Happy
latest report
I resisted helmets for quite a while because of "hearing and vision difficulties". Then I wanted to go to a summer glacier camp and they were required. Trying to track down a helmet that fit in June was great fun. (They're in the warehouse. NO DISCOUNTS due to hassle of fetching them.)

Once I had one, however, I claimed initially I was wearing it to get my money's worth, but it soon became because it was nice and warm. Then 5 or 6 years after that I ricocheted off a tree at speed and really justified the expense of the helmet. Cracked the helmet and the goggles but not my head. Had 18 months of rehab, but not anything to do with neurological damage. I used to say that on a fine spring day I might leave it off, but that happened on a fine spring day when, Thank God, I did not.
ski holidays
sibhusky wrote:
I resisted helmets for quite a while because of "hearing and vision difficulties".

Me too.

I wore a series of ridiculous woolly hats for 35 years.....I even had a splendid effort, bought in New Zealand, which was a leather, sheepskin one with ear flaps, that wouldn't have looked out of place on Biggles. Great in cold weather.

Helmets were for kids and racers - and looked like something you would wear if you were being shot out of a cannon!

When they first started to appear outside of those 2 groups, it was usually on middle aged blokes, who were using gear that was way beyond their ability and who skied dangerously fast, with little control or consideration for anyone in their path. I avoided punters wearing helmets like the plague.

There then came a point, when my kids got older, that I started feeling like a hypocrite insisting that they wore a helmet, while I didn't. I then discovered, that what was available, was light years away from the heavy ear blockers from yesteryear. Now, it is unusual to see someone not wearing one.

My Salomon helmet has been a revelation in lightness, warmth and comfort......and I wouldn't be without it.
latest report
luanb wrote:
Yellow Snow wrote:

I'll put money on you're one of those who said that seat belts encouraged dangerous driving. No need to bike/motorcycle helmets either, they're useless aren't they and only encourge risk takings too? Nothing like being real man and being really good at what you do.
p..s. A real skier wouldn't have given in to peer pressure either, why waste money that could go on new skis?

Some people really need to learn irony - retarded real man syndrome - are you also short by any chance?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy